Poll of a sort: Looking for input for yet another website endeavour...June 25 2012 at 4:00 PM
|denizp (Login denizp)|
from IP address 18.104.22.168
Without divulging too much about the context or the source - as we are planning this as a surprise, I am building a new website that will go online within the next few weeks for aviation and history enthusiasts. This will be a completely volunteer-driven reference website with mostly never-before-seen historical photos, as well as really-detailed pictures of aircraft and equipment (we have awesome access to some awesome aircraft and equipment) targeted for the modeling community (I am talking 1000s of photos that are growing daily). However, before we go public, I wanted to get your opinion on a few of the details, so that I can provide the best experience for our users:
- Watermarking: As I mentioned, most of the pictures have never been seen before and have been digitized at 4800x3200 resolution (mostly at 600dpi). I am planning to publish these images at (at least) 1200x800. However, as we all know, there are people who steal and re-publish these photos and because we don't have the resources to track down and deal with these types of people like other companies can, I need to come up with a solution to prevent people from stealing our content from the get-go. I can put a huge watermark over these pictures but I personally don't like to see them myself (although I understand why they are necessary). Can you let me know how you feel about watermarks? What is a good size/location - if any? Are there any other solutions you have seen that you like? By the way, I am not talking about people saving these images off the internet for their personal use. Those are exactly the people I am building this website for. I just don't want to see them used for commercial purposes.
- In order to support the website and the organization, we are also looking into selling highest-quality versions of these pictures. Would you like to see them in a printed format (something like Squadron series), in a photo CD/DVD or maybe in e-book format?
- Monetization: Again we need a way to support the website and other than selling the content, I was thinking about a few options:
a) advertising on the website itself (sponsored or Google Ads)
b) creating a subscription model for website access
c) online donations
I would like to pick the least obtrusive option from a user perspective, as I don't want to cover half the page with model kit ads and I certainly want to make this site as free as possible for as long as possible. Which option would you prefer for having access to premium and constantly-updated content?
I am looking forward to hearing your opinions...
ps: Please send me a private message here if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area and would like to volunteer to help us make this website a reality.
ps 2: I will be posting these questions on other forums to get as much feedback as possible and I apologize for this cross-posting.
Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:
- First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
- Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.
Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.
Please note the following conditions of posting:
All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.
In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.
Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.