Return to Index  

My attempt to make the Kitty Hawk Banshee look a little better

January 5 2017 at 6:57 PM

Corey in Colorado  (Login cransom)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 174.16.239.56

So the F2H-2 is a subject that's close to my heart and I was very excited when the Kitty Hawk Banshee was released. I bought three kits and started the kits immediately when they arrived. Like so many other modelers, I am really disappointed by this kit, by both the accuracy errors and also the poor kit engineering. The kit is over-engineered and over-complicated with too many gimmicky parts that fit poorly together. There are several accuracy problems that have been pointed out here often, with perhaps the overly thick wing root/intake/engine area as being the most glaring.
The wing problem bothered me, but I wasn't going to let it deter me from building the Banshee. My initial thoughts were to ignore the wing. Then I wondered if I could perhaps sand a bit of the "bulge" out of the kit part. I tried sanding down this area inside the tape:

[linked image]

I found that it did help reduce the bulge slightly, but it didn't do anything to reduce the arch of the wing root. The very top of the wing root sits too high on the fuselage and this contributes to the bulging wing. The sanding did not remedy this. I wondered if I could cut out the bulge and create a new camber to the wing root area. My goal isn't perfection, but to make the kit look a little better. I cut out the sanded area like this:

[linked image]

My next step was to build a lath on which I could add dental acrylic/superglue mix. I used strip styrene for this.

[linked image]

After my initial attempt at building a lath, I found that the top of the wing had lost it's shape and would no longer fit in the fuselage. I started over and this time, I taped the top of the wing to fuselage. This way, the fuselage would act as a jig to keep the wing in shape. I glued a couple strips in place while the wing was still attached to the fuselage. When the super glue was dried, the first couple strips held the wing to shape.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

With the wing held in the correct shape by the first couple strips, I popped it out and glued in the rest of the strips. Then I added a dental acrylic (FreeFlow) /Zap a Gap mix (thanks for the inspiration Paul Budzik!) to fill the hole.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Once the the acrylic/superglue mix dried, I sanded to shape. Here is the final product taped in place. I was careful to make sure the new camber wouldn't interfere with the intake, engine, exhaust parts. I'm fairly confident it works. We'll see when I go to glue it all together!

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

The next step, once I get the wing and fuselage assembled and attached, is to fill the largish gap where the arch of the wingroot had previously been. I haven't decided on how yet, but I'll figure it out.

I think the new camber looks better, more Banshee-ish. What do you folks think?

Corey

Respond to this message   
Responses

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters