Return to Index  

a better answer for Pip's "just wondering"

April 20 2017 at 2:06 PM
Rex, Accidental CAG  (Login RexTN)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 208.118.195.76

Think of the "modeling drill-down" effect, sir.

First, a new paint line would have to be usable to the guy producing it, if he is also an active modeler.

That means for me, it can't be an Enamel, Lacquer, Acrylic Alcohol, Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Lacquer.

You have been around online long enough to know that there is some resistance to truly water based Acrylics in plastic modeling. And even when questions are asked by people using them, it is common to see answers about thinning that use the very chemicals that we tried to avoid when we made the "Aqueous choice."

Okay, that shrinks the customer base as to the paint type. Now, how about the colors themselves? Too many modelers believe in the "x1234" concept, and believe that it was always in place. That means either do inaccurate colors in the hopes of getting sales,,,,,or do accurate colors for the time periods, and watch the paint gather dust on the shelves.

I also don't know and don't pretend to know what is needed to do British, Japanese, Luftwaffe, etc, etc, colors. And a paint line would have to include those colors, or ignore a large segment of the possible customers in the hobby.

What I AM going to do is provide a method of getting "Free" FS matched paint chips, letting the modeler actually see "my" matches before he does them. This all got compiled by accident, in my own search for paints and colors that I could use in the same room as Anne is sitting.

All a person would have to do is look at the page, actually see the paint chip from the bottle sitting right up against the chip from the standard, and then decide if I actually made a visual match or not. Then, if I carefully only use paint ranges that are easy to get, he buys the bottle of paint from his favorite vendor. After he makes his own chip from that, he has the bottle of paint to use on his models, even if he only ever uses it for hand brush detail painting,,,,,,,,the paint chip is "free" to him, for only the cost of a card and white label to paint on. Then, if he wants to model on, with Lacquer, Enamel or any of the Acrylic formulae out there, he has a way to judge his paint's accuracy.

This takes the whole "trust me, it is a good match" deal right out of the process,,,,,the guy is trusting his own eyes, not just reading a table of numbers. It takes out that "monitor variance" thing, too, since the chips are in the same photo.

As I said, this came about by accident, the same way as the Squadron research happened. I figure I might as well do something with all of these chips of paints bought as "internet table matches",,,,that didn't actually match when taken out of the bottles.

This message has been edited by RexTN from IP address 208.118.195.76 on Apr 20, 2017 2:08 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters