<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PIC INSIDE- Anyone building Jim Howard's P-51B "Ding Hao"?

October 27 2001 at 4:05 PM
Lynn, with something rare  (no login)
from IP address 209.97.5.139

Here's a little something to help you out...

Lynn

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Craig Quattlebaum
(no login)

Great pic Lynn, it's also a great shot of the...........

October 27 2001, 4:21 PM 

wing spar inside the landing gear area in COLOR!

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login skeg11)

Quick question

October 27 2001, 8:12 PM 

In your opinion has this aircraft been parked with the flaps down or did the hydralics bleed down quicker on the flaps than the main gear doors?

Robert

Respond to this message   
Craig Quattlebaum
(no login)

Well, IMHO the.........

October 27 2001, 8:22 PM 

aircraft was parked with the flaps down as they would have been down anyway from the landing. SOme pictures I have of 361stFG P-51s'parked the flaps are down with the gear doors in various stages from completely closed to partially open to full open.
The picture Lynn posted is an excellant color shot showing the color of the wing spar and the opening for the gear leg.

Respond to this message   
Dave Sherrill
(no login)

Lynn, do you know...

October 27 2001, 4:25 PM 

if this aircraft is depicted on any 1/48 scale decal sheet? I just got the Jaguar detail set for the Tamiya P-51B but I hadn't decided upon any particular Mustang. Until maybe now. Thanks for posting this. There's a lot of information on the shade of olive drab and the yellow chromate wheel wells.

Respond to this message   
Bob Perry
(no login)

This was the featured scheme . . .

October 27 2001, 5:01 PM 

in the 1/48 Monogram P-51B kit as first released in the 60s.

Respond to this message   
John Rood
(no login)

Yes! Sure brings back some great 60's memories here!

October 27 2001, 7:37 PM 

And if I recall, the kit was released in 1/48 AND 1/72?

John

Respond to this message   
Bob Perry
(no login)

Could be !

October 27 2001, 8:52 PM 

The 1/72 Mono. 'B that I had carried the name "Ole II" but there might have been other issues. Both schemes were the basic OD/Neutral Gray with white ID stripes.

I was reasonably satisfied with the job I'd done on the 1/72; never built the 1/48 and still have it. This string prompted me to have a look at it: the decals seem to have survived and I may yet use them.

Respond to this message   
Cicchino
(no login)

It's in the current Monogram release as well n/t

October 27 2001, 5:47 PM 

Respond to this message   
Roger, drool rag in hand
(no login)

Ooooh Lynn, You ROCK!!! n/t

October 27 2001, 5:17 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Sarge
(no login)

LHS landing gear

October 27 2001, 6:03 PM 

Is that painted light gray, or is it a lighting trick?

Nice, BTW, thanks Lynn.

Sarge

Respond to this message   
Rob Radlein
(no login)

great pic Lynn,

October 27 2001, 6:04 PM 

You know Jim Howard resided nearby in Belair Beach near Clearwater. I saw him once at an airshow in kissimee but didn't have the nerve to go up to him for an autograph much to my regret now that he has passed on. However, back in the early 80s he was scheduled to speak at a local model club meeting. I had to work that night but I loaned the club my 1/72 "Ding Hao" and learned afterward that he held it in his hands and had good things to say about it.
Regards, Rob

Respond to this message   

KAF teaching computer tricks to old dogs
(Login wymanv)
HyperScale Forums

hell yeah!

October 27 2001, 7:33 PM 

Was working on my mono classic OOB and couldn't find photos of that bird ANYWHERE (good ones, anyway)!

BTW-dude, when was the last time you went OUT?

Ken

Respond to this message   
Lynn, who's done that before
(no login)

Um, out? As in drinking?

October 27 2001, 7:45 PM 

Last Friday night...didn't get real tore up, but I wasn't trying hard, either. It's been about three weeks since I've had a right pisser- I found a couple of places here in Norfolk with weiƟbier on tap, so I'm a happy camper (still miss Mr. Dunderbak's in DB and the Hacker-Pschorr on tap, though).

Plus, I'm stuck here at work for 12 hrs waiting for the phone to ring...may as well help out my fellow modelers, right?

Lynn

Respond to this message   
Mike Peters
(no login)

Nice pic Lynn, but...

October 27 2001, 8:40 PM 

I am running out of room on my hard drive!! Getting time to run out and get that Gajillion Gig hard-drive just for the HS pics!!

Pete

Respond to this message   
Donald Anderson
(no login)

That's powerfully exciting stuff!

October 27 2001, 8:49 PM 

What an inspiration! Thanks Lynn for sharing this pic! I too have a P-51B in my stash with Ding Hao! all over it (at least in my mind). I noticed it's from Popular Science 1944 - are there any more shots from the story(not to be too greedy)? Also, is that exhaust standard? It appears winterized or such but I'm no Mustang expert.

Thanks,
Donald

Respond to this message   
Adrian Milford
(no login)

Great pic, thanks Lynn(NT)

October 27 2001, 10:42 PM 

NT

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters