<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

21st Century P-40B New Markings announced

December 25 2006 at 8:47 AM

Dave Phipps, AEC(AW) USN Ret. (ex-FUDD Fixer)  (Login navairdave)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 12.207.35.63

Special Edition P-40 revealed!
12/24/06
21st Century Toys is pleased to announce the Special Edition 1:18 scale Pearl Harbor P-40s. AREA-21 has learned that both aircraft flown by Lt. Taylor and Lt. Welch will be produced and sold individually as part of a limited run within the same batch. Lt. Taylor and Welch were among a small group of pilots that were able to get into to air to battle against the Japanese during the Pearl Harbor attack, making them some of the first American pilots flying under US colors to do engage in aerial combat during the opening moments of WWII. These P-40s wear the basic U.S. Army Air Corps paint scheme found at both the Wheeler and Hick ham Field airbases in December of 1941.

21st Century Toys has faithfully recreated this moment in our nation's history where brave men fought hard and lost lives during the attack on the Pacific Fleet. These Special Edition P-40's are shipped in a unique box that presents original artwork and brief history about the actions of these two valiant pilots. The estimated release is scheduled for late Jan. to early Feb. in 2007. As Fan Club President I have personally seen a finished production sample and I am pleased to report that they are beautiful airplanes with a nice touch of light weathering included on the classic green and grey U.S. Army paint. Enjoy the pictures and your Holiday! Merry Christmas from AREA-21 and from everyone at 21st Century Toys.

They are also releasing a new Me 262A-1a, Me 262B-1a/U-1, and 2 new marking F-104's all in 1/18th scale.

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !

This message has been edited by navairdave from IP address 12.207.35.63 on Dec 25, 2006 8:59 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Roy Wiggs
(Login RoyWiggs)
HyperScale Forums

I hope they put those markings on the 1/32 scale version also.

December 25 2006, 10:46 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Nathan123
(Login Nathan123)
HyperScale Forums

But I hope not in those markings.

December 25 2006, 11:50 AM 

The box art shows incorrect markings. Lt. Welsh had #160 and Taylor had #155. Those are the few we know about. We know very little about the markings on the P-40's at Wheeler, Bellows, and Haleiwa. We will have to wait for David Aiken to tell us more when he comes out with his book! Can't wait. Despite the incorrect markings I think it is a cool photo! Looks like 3D models!

"P-40's are good, P-40's are good".

Respond to this message   

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

Are you absolutely certain, Nathan?

December 25 2006, 12:02 PM 

General Taylor himself told an audience at the Naval Air Museum that his P-40 bore no special markings other than the black numbers on the tail. Hence the bone-stock appearance of the P-40's in the Kodera and Taylor paintings. Unfortunately, Welch was long gone before this even became a topic for modelers to debate. Though I would normally defer to David Aiken's opinion in all matters pertaining to the Pearl Harbor attack, I can't get past the General's seemingly very clear memory of that plane.

Respond to this message   
Nathan
(Login Nathan123)
HyperScale Forums

Taylor could have been talking about another plane of his.?

December 25 2006, 4:17 PM 

hi,

In mid summer of 1941 no P-40's had the white "buzz" numbers yet. Even when Pearl Harbor was attacked not all P-40's had the white side numbers.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing what Taylor said in his speach but Im guessing it COULD be that he was either talking about another plane that he flew or got his dates mixed up. Im not trying to discredit him, but even the vets get mixed up once in a while....or forget...

Ironically here is a model of Taylors P-40 that I have been biulding. I went with 155. This is the closest estimate we have of Taylors markings and until further research is uncovered I'd suggest to those biulding Taylors P-40B to go with "155".

Interesting subject, it has always been my favorite. David Aiken is a good friend of mine as well and I always enjoy his wisdom in the matter.

Cheers,
Nathan

Respond to this message   

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

The mission in question was Dec. 7th, 1941...

December 25 2006, 10:45 PM 

... he was not referring to some P-40 he'd flown the previous summer; he was describing the mission from beginning to end and was specifically asked about the markings on his P-40 by a member of the ASAA. When asked whether he remembered the numbers on the side of the plane he stated that the machine was pretty fresh and there weren't any. I've been an ace hunter for decades, have met scores of them from nations as far-flung as Australia and Finland and I don't know why so many modelers and historians insist that the veterans can't remember the most significant days of their military careers; hey, some paid attention to matters of camo and markings and some didn't... others cared only about performance.

You've re-phrased the default answer I get every time someone (who wasn't present in the audience at such events) wants to justify their viewpoint based on whatever evidence. In the absence of a photo of the specific machine a lot of people will surmise that it was marked similar to it's squadronmates that do appear in photos and on that questionable "big if" suggest that the man who flew the plane knows less about it than they do. "Oh, he's in his 80's- his memory must be failing." I don't think so. It seems more likely to me that some of our historians just want their data to fit into tight little packages so that their conclusions won't be viewed as frangible and subject to error.

If someone can show me a photo of a P-40 dated December 7th, 1941 with numbers matching a logbook showing a December 7th entry with Taylor as the pilot then I'll consider the possibility that the General got his wires crossed, but not until.

Respond to this message   
Nathan123
(Login Nathan123)
HyperScale Forums

It's not a opinionate view point

December 26 2006, 8:49 AM 

hi Erik,

My view just wasen't something that I made up. It has came from 4 years of research in the matter with the help of David Aiken. To get back on subject the box art on that kit is incorrect and David already stated that Taylor had #155 not 316. Again it is not 100% curtain. But that is the closest we know of it.

Cheers,
Nate

Respond to this message   

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

I beg to differ...

December 26 2006, 2:08 PM 

... I would characterize it as your opinion based on 4 years of research in conjunction with Mr. Aiken. General Taylor also expressed an opinion on the matter and until you or someone else can deliver the kind of rock solid evidence I described above then with all due respect I will continue to defer to the opinion of the man who flew the mission.

Respond to this message   

Ian Robertson
(Login fug202)
HyperScale Forums

Welch's P-40 by 21st CT

December 25 2006, 12:24 PM 

This is the one they did for Welch's a/c. They used 316 for Taylor's a/c but I don't know if that is correct.

- Ian

This message has been edited by fug202 from IP address 71.209.1.112 on Dec 25, 2006 12:26 PM

Respond to this message   

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

So, I take it that the USAAC fanatics must have agreed on the markings recently?

December 25 2006, 11:57 AM 

I've seen so many variations in the markings ostensibly worn by the P-40's flown by Welch and Taylor on December 7th that the argument seems little different from the debate over theose on Roy Brown's Camel the day Richtofen was downed. Is there a final word on this issue? That would be the best Christmas present I could ask for... I have a 1/48th P-40B in my stash that I've hesitated to build because of the historic and often epic Welch-Taylor markings debates.

Respond to this message   

Ed Keene
(Login EdKeene)
HyperScale Forums

hard to find

December 25 2006, 4:30 PM 

Why are 21st century planes so hard to find? Wal_mart carries a few, not the same in all stores.

Respond to this message   

Ian Robertson
(Login fug202)
HyperScale Forums

Walmart

December 25 2006, 4:46 PM 

Hi Ed,

Walmart's distribution of 21st CT products appears to be hit and miss throughout the country. Unfortunately, 21st CT has no control over how specific items are distributed within the Walmart chain. You can try ordering online through "Badcat Aviation", although the prices are a bit higher than Walmart. Still, if the item you want doesn't come to your local store, price is a moot point. Here's the link to Badcat:

http://www.badcataviation.com/avspto.html

Regards,
Ian

PS - I don't think the Pearl Harbor P-40s are in stores yet.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters