<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Airfix Spitfire Mk.1.

July 11 2007 at 4:34 AM
John at Aeroclub  (Login John016)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 82.9.235.237

I have just found time to have a look at the new Mk.1 and though it's ancestry, in that it is a derivative of the the old Mk V, is plain to see, there have been many changes.

I am using a mix of fullsize dimensions and the works blueprints based (unpublished)drawings I obtained from Arthur Bentley and I trust them.

The fuselage is very good and from the firewall back it matches on all points, windscreen ,door, rear of rear view panel etc. The rudder is of correct chord and shape, with the only very minor niggles being the shape of the fin/fuselage fillet and that the rudder hinge line is 0.5mm too far aft. The wing fillets are good and of the correct width.

I have long maintained that the nose contours(ie thrust-line) on these Airfix Merlin family Spits are too high and although some reshaping has been done the Mk.1 nose plate is still too high by .75mm. Ok most folks won't notice it.

The wings. In 1:48 scale the Spitfire wing at it's thickest point should be 7mm and this new kit comes very close. Shapewise, the trailing edge is very good.
The leading edge at the centre gun positions is a touch too "full" and again at the very tip where the nav light is. The wing root angles on model Spits are all different and these follow the pattern but not the drawings.
I don't like the silly fabric sag, but a film of filler will sort this . The panel lines are fine. The trailing edges though much improved will still benefit from thinning down on the insides.

The shape of the D.H. prop blades is good but the Rotol not so good and the Watts two blader should look the part when assembled but watch out for the tips sweeping back.

So as far as the basic shape goes, Airfix have done well and remember that this was done under the constraints of the old company and so as such it is not a new Hornby kit.

Just my observations.

John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

CMT Arturo Navarro.
(Login CMT.Arturo.Navarro)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you very much for your review....

July 11 2007, 5:18 AM 

...I'm rather fond on "classic" brands such Airfix, Monogram, etc...and find them much more appealing than modern stuff like Tamigawa. I like the way old kits were developed, with its benefits and failures. I enjoyed a lot building the Airfix Hurricane Mk.I, and copared with the Hasegawa "Hurri", I found it very nice and straight to build. I can't understand those modelers who spend lots of time and money building the "ultimate" kit and don't mind about accuracy and historic backgrounds. But, as always, that's just my opinion.
By the way, I've finally been able to get an old Aeroclub's Gloster Gauntlet vacuform kit, and I'd like to ask you a question, John...
Could it be possibly to use a Roden's Gloster Gladiator cockpit to enhance the Gauntlet interior?
Thank you in advance and best regards from Spain...

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Hi Arturo....

July 11 2007, 5:50 AM 

Thanks for your comments. I am just injection moulding a completely new Gauntlet kit, (I have just done the first 100 sets of wings) and I will have some new interior parts available soon though the kit release is not scheduled until later this year.

There are similarities between the Gauntlet and Gladiator so you can use some of the Gladiator cockpit but there are so few photos around of the early RAF Gauntlet.

Cheers

John

Respond to this message   

(Login Williamshuey)
HyperScale Forums

Gladiator cockpit in Gauntlet??

July 11 2007, 4:59 PM 

Rather than trash a Roden Gladiator you might want to get a True Details resin Gladiator Mark I cockpit set from Squadron mail order.

Bill Shuey

Respond to this message   
chrishallpingu
(Login chrishallpingu)
HyperScale Forums

Very useful review, John

July 11 2007, 5:25 AM 

and confirms my initial impressions of more-than-adequate 'Spittyness', and, so long as you don't value ease of assembly over scale accuracy, better than the Tamiya kit by a long chalk. I've just ordered two at my LHS, and I can see myself getting several more.

Cheers,

Chris.

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

I was purely looking at the kit from a shape point of view

July 11 2007, 5:40 AM 

and anyone with a marginal amount of skill in their fingers shouldn't have any problems with the basic assembly and fortunately any of the corrections are of the "sand off" and not "build up" type.

Cheers

John

This message has been edited by John016 from IP address 82.9.235.237 on Jul 11, 2007 5:54 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login Spitmk9c)
HyperScale Forums

Re: I was purely looking at the kit from a shape point of view

July 11 2007, 10:56 AM 

Hi John,

Is the pic here what we can expect for fit?

TIA

Brad

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Did you mean this one....

July 11 2007, 11:04 AM 

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Sorry Brad the pics of the nose were ...

July 11 2007, 11:24 AM 

my recommended fix for the Airfix Mk.V thrust line which can be used on the Mk.1 to a lesser degree as Airfix had made some changes. My later photos show that the dry fit is not bad when the trailing edges are thinned.

John

Respond to this message   

(Login jkiker)
HyperScale Forums

To make sure I'm clear...

July 11 2007, 12:21 PM 

Hi John,

I agree with the other posters- nice work and very much appreciated! I am now definitely going to buy one to use for my future PR I build.

Just to make sure I am clear, based on your pictures posted in this thread so far, the one of the fuselage halves taped and the nose modified is for the Mk Vb kit, correct? If so, when you take off, what, about .040" on the nose, you haven't gone through the thickness of the kit plastic yet; is that right? And after lowering the thrust line by lowering the prop assembly hole, did you have to do any adjutment to the lower nose piece, or does the spinner/backplate "sync up" without moving the lower nose piece down?

And as for the Mk I kit, do I understand you correctly that the thrust line is a bit lower than the Mk Vb kit, but maybe not quite enough?

Sorry to sound like an Anorak, but I want to make sure I fully understand the corrections that can be made here. If I understand them properly, I am happily going to make them!

Thanks again and cheers, Jim

Respond to this message   

(Login Domai3)
HyperScale Forums

Be aware that John is saying the thrust line is just over 18 thou. too high. As he

July 11 2007, 12:41 PM 

also stated, most people will not notice it.

Glad I didn't buy the Tamiya Mk 1.

Cheers,

Derek of Toronto OFE

Respond to this message   
AD
(Login Abledog)
HyperScale Forums

Enlightenment, please

July 11 2007, 1:29 PM 

Derek,

Sorry, I am woefully unenlightened regarding the Tamiya kit. What are its faults?

Abe

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Has some issues with the shape ...

July 11 2007, 1:51 PM 

and dimensions of the rear fuselage and the profile of the wings.

John

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Now ain't that funny...

July 11 2007, 1:34 PM 

I thought I'll bet Jim's going to make a PR.1

To make things clear those pics were the fix for the Airfix Mk.V and although I don't have that here, I recall I was able to sand off the nose top and reshape it without going through the plastic.

Airfix have reshaped the Mk.1 nose slightly so the thrust line/spinner needs to be dropped about .75mm. To those who think this too critical it simply creates the correct top cowl line which has a subtle curve down, towards the front. I suggest that one tapes up the under cowl and temporarily stick on a disc of thin plastic card which is the spinner backplate dia .75 mm lower and blend the nose in to this.

I hope that this makes sense.

Cheers

John

Respond to this message   

(Login jkiker)
HyperScale Forums

Roger that, sir!

July 11 2007, 2:57 PM 

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply, and I am glad to know that I got the message right. And you are so right- PR's are one of my "thangs." Thanks for the help!

Cheers, Jim

Respond to this message   

(Login Spitmk9c)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Sorry Brad the pics of the nose were ...

July 11 2007, 12:39 PM 

Hi John,

So you taped a fuselauge side of an Airfix Mk Vb to a fuselauge side of the new Mk Ia together, is that what I saw?

TIA

Brad

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

No, the left side was a Mk..V un- modded and....

July 11 2007, 1:49 PM 

the right side was a Mk.V I had reshaped. The new Mk.1 is the old Mk.V but more refined. The spinner was Tamiya.

John

Respond to this message   

(Login BradinBC)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks John nt

July 11 2007, 11:12 PM 

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Respond to this message   

(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks John - I am pleased to hear that it seems acceptable. If Airfix

July 11 2007, 5:51 AM 

can get itself back on track then that's a big plus.

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

The Tamiya kit ,is beautifully engineered...

July 11 2007, 6:07 AM 

and moulded to a higher standard than the Airfix one but it isn't correct in shape and again again I am trying to address what is good in the new Airfix one rather than on pure moulding finesse.

John

This message has been edited by John016 from IP address 82.9.235.237 on Jul 11, 2007 6:10 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

That's true - I used the Tamiya to build an early MkI. Scratchbuilt the canopy and

July 11 2007, 6:19 AM 

Watts prop. Came out OK, but I'd like to give the Airfix a go also - principally to do another BoB a/c.

This message has been edited by MalcolmMcKay from IP address 203.214.106.190 on Jul 11, 2007 6:19 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to this one.

July 11 2007, 7:49 AM 

Nice to see that after market would merely embellish not make up for failures.

Hopefully Airfix will find its way back to the quality of the Mk. 22 and Mk. 47.

Note: the opinions expressed herein are my opinions alone, and do not represent the opinions of anyone else at any modeling forum or the world at large or any parts thereof. If there are other opinions similar to mine, it is a coincidence only and I do not seek to represent similar opinions by the use of such word as I, WE, US or OUR. If I do use terms such terms, please ignore such outlandish political incorrectness, and read I, ME or MY in their place.

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Yes Steve, there's still a very long way to go...

July 11 2007, 8:47 AM 

to reach the "47" standard but it is a move away from the IX.

There is an odd mix of sprues in my kit which includes the 16 lo-back canopy ? but the difference between some of the new and old parts, eg door fairings, is noticeable.

John

This message has been edited by John016 from IP address 82.9.235.237 on Jul 11, 2007 8:52 AM

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

Areas to thin before assembly

July 11 2007, 10:58 AM 

I sanded these areas with a rigid sanding stick and the other photo is a taped dry run and notice the fit is very good.

John

Respond to this message   

(Login JonTabinor)
HyperScale Forums

re the wing tips

July 11 2007, 2:19 PM 

Hi John - hope you're well.

Is it just your photos or does the curve at the tip of the wing tip seem a blunt to you - the wing tips on the mk Vc/seafire certainly seemd that way to me at any rate !

cheers

Jon KT

A mighty wind is blowing, blowing you, blowing me.....

[url=http://www.britmodeler.com/forums][ img][ /img][ /url]
[url=http://www.britmodeler.com/forums]Britmodeler.com[ /url]

Respond to this message   
John at Aeroclub
(Login John016)
HyperScale Forums

The Seafire/Vc wings .

July 11 2007, 3:16 PM 

I don't have them here and I will have to check tomorrow but if they have the separate tips ala Mk.9 then they are poor in many ways. The old Vb wing was quite good in shape IIRC.

If you read through my initial post you will find that the Mk.1 wing is pretty good in outline.

Cheers

John

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New Airfix Spitfire Mk.1.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters