<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

F4F-4 antennas - how many?

January 11 2008 at 12:11 PM
Joe McDonald  (Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.92.103.162

Most drawings and photos I have been able to find of F4F-4's show the antenna wire joining the fuselage on the port side aft of the wing in the field of the national insignia. A couple of profile drawings in the Detail and Scale book show antenna wires joining the fuselage on both sides. But, I have seen several models with both of those wires and additional wires leading to both horizontal stabilizers. I suppose any of those configurations would have been possible. For my model, I think I'm sticking with just the single connection on the port side. It is a model of a plane likely flown by Capt. Joe Foss on Guadalcanal. Does that sound reasonable?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Wires and such

January 11 2008, 12:52 PM 

The wire that drops down from the main aerial line (mast to rudder post) is the connection to the radio gear and actually connects to an insulator on the side of the fuselage, and ALL F4Fs would have it. The wires you see running from the horizontal stabs to the fuselage are part of the IFF gear, which was not installed on all USMC F4Fs during the campaign for Guadalcanal, but on a good number of them. If you do choose to include the IFF wires, they should be on both sides. Since Foss was X.O., there is a good chance that his original F4F-4 carried it since division and section leaders were normally the first to have the equipment installed.

Respond to this message   
Joe McDonald
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Brandon - but should there be another wire?

January 11 2008, 12:57 PM 

What you say makes sense, and I will add the wires for the IFF signals. But, should there also be a wire from the mast down to the starboard side of the fuselage as well as the one on the port side? And, I suppose the IFF antennas also connected to the same insulated post as the lead down from the mast.

This message has been edited by Northwest48 from IP address 71.92.103.162 on Jan 11, 2008 12:59 PM

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

nope.

January 11 2008, 1:48 PM 

just the one left side. And yes it is connected to the same insulator.

D&S isn't a very good reference for Wildcats, especailly when it comes to their drawings because they wrong and largely inaccurate.

This message has been edited by makmov from IP address 75.71.156.119 on Jan 11, 2008 1:53 PM

Respond to this message   
Joe McDonald
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks CAL - IFF only on port side as well?

January 11 2008, 3:53 PM 

If there were IFF antennas on both tails there would have to be terminals and insulators on both sides. Maybe there were?

Sorry to be so picky. I'm just trying to get it right.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

I am not sure what you are asking.

January 11 2008, 4:02 PM 

All the gear is on that side of the airframe. The opposite side is the access door.

Respond to this message   
Northwest48
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

You answered my question even though it was a goofy one

January 11 2008, 4:22 PM 

All is clear now. Why I was asking about the starboard side was becauseI saw at least one model of an F4F-4 with antennas symmetrically placed on both sides and IFF antennas from both horizontal stabilizers. I'm guessing that was incorrect. And, as you say, there is an accesss door on the starboard side. Not likely there would be another antenna connection thereabouts.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

see below.

January 11 2008, 4:23 PM 

You would think but apparently isn't the case.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

Yeah, I figured it out.

January 11 2008, 4:22 PM 

The only real clear photo I can find is in the Wildcat Walkaround. It is only on the right or starboard side of this particular airframe.

Respond to this message   

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

IFF on BOTH sides

January 11 2008, 4:37 PM 

The IFF aerials were on BOTH sides. Take a look at this pic of MACH Don Runyon, an ace with VF-6 during the Guadalcanal campaign. You can see the aerial on the starboard side as it comes off the horiz stab. Do take note that it appears they used a slightly different attachment point, probably the post since it appears to be angling (sic?) up quite a bit, and the IFF aerial on the other side is also higher. This was not uncommon though, and I ahve seen pics of some rather unusual aerial and IFF arrangements on the F4F.

But, as you can tell by the pic, the IFF aerial is on BOTH sides.

Respond to this message   
Joe McDonald
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

Yikes - What's that wire behind him?

January 11 2008, 5:45 PM 

There is a wire behind the guy's head. That couldn't be an IFF antenna from the port tail. The angle and position are wrong.

This message has been edited by Northwest48 from IP address 71.92.103.162 on Jan 11, 2008 5:46 PM

Respond to this message   

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Possibly

January 11 2008, 5:57 PM 

the main aerial that has been field modified to attach on the elevator/horiz stab line. I have seen that mod in a few pics, not many though.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

I don't think that is right.

January 11 2008, 5:52 PM 

That can't be right. The wire would supposedly attatch to the the elevator corner, where else could it have attached?

Pg 78 of the Wildcat Walkaround clearly shows only one wire on the starboard side.

Respond to this message   

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Ya lost me

January 11 2008, 5:56 PM 

Is the aircraft in the Walkaround a restoration? And one thing I have come to accept is that they rigged stuff up all the time. I have a pic of a VMO-251 F4F-3 that shows the main aerial not even attached to the rudder post, but as two lines that run from the mast and attached on each side of the horiz stab/elevator join line.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

No this is a period photo

January 11 2008, 5:58 PM 

pg 78, wings folded up with 4 or 5 guys pushing it.

Respond to this message   

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Ok, but look....

January 11 2008, 7:08 PM 

...on the next page, top left photo. This is actually a VF-22 F4F-4 and it HAS the starboard IFF aerial if you are looking for it. The pic of the F4F-4 on p78 is a VMF-211 F4F-4 at Palmyra in late '42 and it ALSO has the starboard IFF aerial. Just look real close at several of the pics and you will start to notice them. Its one of those things that ya dont pay much attention to until someone asks about it.

BW

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

My next page is a colorplate.

January 11 2008, 7:14 PM 

I am just not seeing it. There is another real clear photo of Corky Meyer demoing the raft. You can see the wire on the starborad side, but the port side, facing "us" clearly agian no wire, no insulator, nothing radio related.

I'll keep looking I have about 20 Wildcat books.

Respond to this message   

CAL
(Login makmov)
HyperScale Forums

Okay I did find something...

January 11 2008, 7:22 PM 

You need to be looking at a real good photo to see it on the port side, whereas the starboard side stands out like a sore thumb, which makes me think they are not the same type or gauge wire.

Respond to this message   

Brandon Wood
(Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Another pic of IFF on starboard side

January 11 2008, 5:23 PM 

Although not at Guadalcanal, this pic also shows an F4F-4 with the IFF on the starboard side. You may have to look close though depending on how photobucket re-sized it.

Respond to this message   
Chris K
(Login CKindell)
HyperScale Forums

Tri-Tone Differences

January 11 2008, 5:44 PM 

Interesting to see the differences in the tri-tone application on the lead plane vs. the following 3. I wonder if the lead has a field repaint while the others are factory applications ??
Chris K.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters