<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Old Airplanes

December 6 2008 at 1:06 PM
Chas Bunch  (Login chasbunch)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.19.147.123

I've been drooling over the great photos on Theme Pics lately - prompted me to convert some of my old slides and prints to digital. Can anyone ID these two old birds?
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

oldthudman~!!~
(Login oldthudman)
HyperScale Forums

N436W=Curtiss-Wright Sedan 15D; N709Y Pilgrim 100B

December 6 2008, 1:44 PM 

Here's FAA look-up of current registration numbers USA...

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/>

Canadian:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/ccarcs/aspscripts/en/menu.asp>

AirNav= airports

http://www.airnav.com/airports/>

Great pic BTW............

[linked image]

Aloha......
Kaluka Pipkin~!!~
Claudpipkin@aol.com
Hotston, Texas
Veteran USAF

Respond to this message   

(Login g44aman)
HyperScale Forums

Great pix is right. (saved 'em both)

December 6 2008, 2:26 PM 

BTW, the Pilgrim is currently here in the lower 48 being completely restored.
When finished it will be sent back to Anchorage and put on display at the A.A.H.M. .

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

Respond to this message   

(Login NormFiler)
HyperScale Forums

Fairchild Pilgrim

December 6 2008, 10:46 PM 

Boy, that brings back memories.

In the summer of 1960 I was busy dumping fire packs and supplies out of a C-180 out of the Smoke Jumper base at Winthrop WA. We were working a fire a few miles east of there.

The 180 pilot was taking a break and the Pilgrim was taking another load of Jumpers to another fire. The pilot asked me if I would come along to dump out packs and stuff after the smoke jumper left. I said OK.

Well, they started heaping bodies and junk into that thing until it was so full I had to climb over everything just to get into the bird. I had some concerns about the load and expressed them to the pilot via the opening
down behind the pilot. He said something to the effect of "no sweat" so I settled down to watch the fun.

We taxied to the far south end of the field and he stomped on the brakes and revved it up until the wheels started skidding on the grass, released the brakes and waddled down the runway. It was clear to me that we were never going to get airborne. sure enough, he stomped the brakes, stopped a short ways from the North fence and turned around toward the loading area. I figured we would unload about half the junk heaped inside, but no, he just says, "move everything up front".

We went through that process twice and after a couple fun rides down the runway, we finally staggered into the air and that old bird hauled the whole damn load out to about 6,000 ft. where the jumper unloaded and we dumped the packs and returned to Intercity for another load.

Thankfully the 180 was ready to go again when we got back and I was very happy to return to my far less exciting task for the rest of the day.

That is the same bird in your photos and as far as I know is the only one in existence. As Bill said, it is currently under restoration. I wonder if my finger and heel prints are still there.

Respond to this message   

(Login chasbunch)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Fairchild Pilgrim

December 7 2008, 9:51 PM 

Interesting story. It must have been owned by WenAirCo at the time. I first saw this bird at Pangborn Field in Wenatchee. Fast forward a few years, and it was in Bellingham, where I had a shop. I had the opportunity to put about 20 hours in it hauling jumpers. It would pack a heck of a load, but was a SLOW climber, it could have used about 1000 HP! I used this airplane as a moving van - hauled everything I owned including my motorcycle from Issaquah to Bellingham in one load in 1972. Glad to see it being restored for the museum - that's where it belongs, being the only one left. Also. the Curtiss is undergoing restoration in St. Louis - also the only one left, and I understand it was the first 15D built. I've got about 200 hrs in that one. The Good Old Days!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Old Airplanes
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters