<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best P-38 in 1/48?...

May 10 2009 at 1:30 PM
  (Login amariani)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 65.23.210.215

...by best I mean looks like P-38 and easy to build, kind of like Tamiya's P-51!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login 109ace)

Looks like a P-38 and easy to build? Only one my friend

May 10 2009, 1:36 PM 

Monogram. Easily found on Ebay.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login sprick)
HyperScale Forums

Monogram/Revell?

May 10 2009, 8:02 PM 

Isn't the Revell P-38J the same as the old Monogram kit? I have the Revell 38J and it sure looks like a rebox of the Monogram kit. You still can build a couple of P-38 versions with it.

Dennis

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow)

And the ProModeler and Hasegawa are the same.

May 10 2009, 8:38 PM 

Late version.

Bo Roberts

Respond to this message   
Brian V
(Login ki61)
HyperScale Forums

I second the Monogram choice, although I've had a

May 10 2009, 1:41 PM 

problem with short-shot canopies. Easily solved with a vacuform replacement from Squadron. The Hasegawa version is supposed to be the most detailed, though harder to assemble; and the Academy one is nice, but fiddly; both are about 3 times the cost of the Monogram offering. If you're in the USA, I'd say Monogram, especially if you're near a Hobby Lobby. With their 40% off coupon this week, a Monogram P-38 costs about $12. The Hobby Lobbies around me always seem to have at least one Monogram P-38 in stock.

Respond to this message   

(Login DOchoaG)
HyperScale Forums

Monogram kit is the way the go..

May 10 2009, 2:01 PM 

followed by the Hasegawa kit.

Respond to this message   

(Login ViperEnforcer)
HyperScale Forums

You have contradicting criteria there

May 10 2009, 2:08 PM 

"the best" and "looks like".

The best of course the best in quality, accuracy, detail, etc, while "Looks Like" can be anything from a Corgi Diecast a starfix kit.

This is what I've concluded after building all 3 mainstream P-38s (Monogram, Hasegawa, & Academy), my own research, and consulting with some knowledgeable P-38 Modelers:

The Hasegawa Lightning is the best overall P-38 in 48th, but Academy's would be the easier build and "looks like" a P-38. The Monogram kit gets high points for shape accuracy, but suffers from fit issues and lack of detail, especially in the wheel wells. I could do without the raised panel lines, but prefer the raised rivet detail, though a lot of that surface detail gets lost in the seam and cleanup process.

If narrowed down to "ease of build" and "looks Like", then go Academy. If you want the best, then go Hasegawa.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Some people just don't get it - "apologist

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow)

I don't like being different, but

May 10 2009, 2:10 PM 

if I were gonna build a P-38 tomorrow, I'd go with Academy. Best early, F and G models, by far, and good late, L and J also.
I wouldn't even consider Monogram, and I've built both. I might consider Hasegawa for the late version, but reports say it's a bear to build. I couldn't say, never built it.
Academy's go together very well, much better build than Monogram.
But that's just me.

Bo Roberts

Respond to this message   

(Login 34thprs)
HyperScale Forums

Dig a couple of pages back for this very topic...

May 10 2009, 2:31 PM 

But to review:

Monogram, Hasegawa, Revell, Pro Modeler, Academy all good with individual quirks. Each has it's own charm.

Minicraft no good all the way around...cheap copy of old Academy kit.

Respond to this message   

(Login leekol)
HyperScale Forums

I've built them all except the wretched Minicraft version

May 10 2009, 3:01 PM 

Best detail: Hasegawa
Easiest to assemble: Academy (except for the nose)
Most versatile: Monogram

If I were to build one today, it would be one of Academy's Lightnings with True Details resin wheels and the old KMC cockpit set now sold by Squadron.

Lee K

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow)

Lee, you did hit on a weakness of the Academy kits.

May 10 2009, 4:56 PM 

WHEELS!!
But just maybe Ultracast will come to our rescue with some correctly sized ones.
I do have some old Weapons Shop smooth tires with hubcaps. These are approproiate for early '38s.

Bo Roberts

Respond to this message   

(Login wally7506)
HyperScale Forums

Ditto!! (nt)

May 10 2009, 8:27 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login HubPlott)
HyperScale Forums

Agree completely! nt

May 10 2009, 9:20 PM 

a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Hashed and rehashed only a week ago. Link inside.

May 10 2009, 3:55 PM 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1241092467/Recommendations+on+P-38+kits+please-

Photobucket

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Respond to this message   

(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

Here's my Academy >

May 10 2009, 7:41 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow)

Well, looks just like a P-38J/L

May 10 2009, 8:42 PM 

Here's my early Academy. P-38G. They got the windshield correct.

Bo Roberts
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

Hey that doesn't look like a P51 at all, ;-) n/t

May 11 2009, 12:35 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Dwayne1955)
HyperScale Forums

My Take on the P-38s

May 10 2009, 9:19 PM 

Having read through the preceding posts, maybe helpful to clear up a couple things:
-Revell = Monogram P-38. Monogram first released it back in the '60's. Monogram and Revell combined about 15 or so years ago.

-Pro-Modeler = Hasegawa P-38f/g/h.

Like many different kits of airplanes by various manufacturers, each has their strengths and weaknesses. If raised panel lines and rivets don't bother you, Monogram/Revell would be the cheapest alternative. While it lacks any wheel well contents, including the walls, the cockpit is probably as least as good as the Hasegawa and better than the Academy. The kit allows you to build one of 4-5 versions (P-38L, P-38J - with some work, P-38M nightfighter, photorecon, droopsnoot).

Hasegawa is my favorite, as it has better detail. Alignment of the tail booms is the biggest complaint tho I haven't had much of a problem, yet-seems to differ from kit to kit. If you're in the U.S. the price will stagger you for the 2 kits in production (the J "Virginia Marie" and the F/G/H "Beautiful Lass") as I see them listed in the upper $40s at sites such as Sprue Bros and Great Models!!

New Academy kits (not sure any past the "L" kit is in production at the moment) are priced in the high teens to low $20s. If you just want to slap one together, I suppose that this one would be the way to go. But unless fit is your only criteria, I don't think that they are near as good as the Hasegawa. I am working on an "L" at the moment and some of the edges of vents and other openings are way too thick and require work to make them believably thin. Wheels/tires need replaced. The early version may have a more accurate windshield, but the intakes on the noses terminate in blank dimples that should be drilled out. These kits have the dreaded raised rivets in places where they shouldn't.

Both Hasegawa/Pro-modeler and Academy have parts to box in the wheel wells, but both are pretty lacking in detail, here (there's a spaghetti work of plumbing in the real things)

HTH, Dwayne

Respond to this message   

(Login ov10bronco)
HyperScale Forums

Heres My Academy 38 Droop

May 10 2009, 10:05 PM 

[IMG][linked image][/IMG] [IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

My Academy contribution, Pathfinder...

May 11 2009, 9:31 AM 

[linked image]

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The fate of unborn millions may now depend, under God, upon the conduct and courage of this army. Our country's honor calls upon us for vigorous and manly exertion, and if we shamefully fail, we will become infamous to the whole world."
George Washington in a message to his troops.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Best P-38 in 1/48?...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters