<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Nose-Art Question: P-38 California Cutie

November 17 2009 at 7:13 PM

Andrew Gaitan  (Login Kaibutsu)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 207.200.116.70

The decals I have for this aircraft show the towel covering the woman is blue in color.

Picture of the aircraft (googled) shows the towel is white.

Which one would you guys go with?

Andy

This message has been edited by Kaibutsu from IP address 207.200.116.70 on Nov 18, 2009 2:35 PM
This message has been edited by Kaibutsu from IP address 207.200.116.70 on Nov 17, 2009 7:47 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MikeinMac)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Nose-Art Qusetion: P-38 California Cutie

November 17 2009, 7:56 PM 

There are two photos in the Squadron book on the 20th FG. Both are B&W, but in the clearest shot, the towel does not look to me to be white. Doesn't mean it was blue, but I wouldn't personally go white.
Mike

Respond to this message   

John Krukowski
(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Not sure why, but...

November 17 2009, 8:17 PM 

For some reason I'm under the impression that the towel's white with three blue stripes at the ends, you know, like classy old towels were. If it were a solid color I might've mistaken it for a robe or something, but I knew it was a towel, which makes me think it had stripes.

I tried hunting for wartime pictures bit I couldn't find anything. If I do, I'll post it here.

John

Respond to this message   

(Login Rhinosd)
HyperScale Forums

Beware of Warbird photos. . .

November 17 2009, 8:28 PM 

The only color photos of "California Cutie" that I am aware of are of a restored P-38 Warbird.

For instance:

[linked image]

I don't know if the towel on the real California Cutie was actually white or blue, but if accuracy matters to you, then don't rely on restored aircraft to determine the color(s) of the nose art.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Agree, Rian...

November 17 2009, 10:04 PM 

Restorations are about as dependable as color profiles, or somebody else's model because basically, that's exactly what they are, someone else's "interpretation" and that's ASSUMING that THEY were trying to be historically correct.

John

Respond to this message   

(Login TomCalbury)
HyperScale Forums

California Cutie nose art

November 18 2009, 5:24 AM 

Andy,

The two color photos I have of the original California Cutie nose art show the towel to be a very light blue with a yellow frilled bottom to it. They are copyrighted so I don't know if it would be okay to post them here. Which decals do you have and what scale are we talking about? Superscale did a set in 1/48 which had the wrong serial number on the vertical fin (if CC ever had one there with the white triangle) and the towel was dark blue. Aeromaster had/has a set with no serial number for vertical fin but wrong s/n on aircraft data plate. Towel is a lighter blue.

Tom

Respond to this message   

John Krukowski
(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Copyrighted material...

November 18 2009, 11:08 AM 

You could e-mail them directly to Andrew, that should be OK, I think??? I'm not a lawyer but there's a few of them around here, maybe they can weigh in on this...I think selling it (like including them in a new book without permission) is where you'd really get into some big trouble. Posting copyrighted material here might be an "iffy" one too because of the ads, as there's money involved however indirectly, but maybe information sharing for reference use only is OK...I dunno. One HS lawyer posts copyrighted pictures here all the time, so maybe it's not a problem.

Is there a lawyer in the house???

John

Respond to this message   

(Login JHairell)

I'm not a lawyer but....

November 18 2009, 12:40 PM 

I'm not a lawyer but there's at least two of them on this forum. But they may not be copyright lawyers...

Anyway, look up "fair use". The fair use of copyrighted material in the U.S. (determined by 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A) says that four tests need to be done prior to use:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

All of this is subject to interpretation and my reading on the subject leads me to believe that posting anybody else's work on the net and saying "fair use" puts you in a gray area of the law. If money is involved you are probably wrong, but if there's no money involved it gets much trickier to sort out. Most people on this forum would probably argue the material has educational purpose.

Feel free to consult legal counsel....happy.gif

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Nose-Art Question: P-38 California Cutie
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters