<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Amazing diorama...

June 7 2010 at 9:48 AM

Tony Bell  (Login threedingers)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 216.13.78.34

It may be on an armour discussion board (Missing-Lynx), but it's more aircraft related:

Please note that this is not my work!

[linked image]

Please note that this is not my work! (In case you missed it above...)

Details here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1275916208/Rolling+Thunder

Cheers,
Tony

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

jeff
(Login jbrundt)
HyperScale Forums

yes, great work.....but

June 7 2010, 10:02 AM 

Very good work/craftsmanship.....however.........

It's not something I would do or even want in my collection to display. To me, and this is just me, I would not want to create a diorama or scene like this. It's just a bit too disturbing and macabre.

I know that others may feel differently and that's their right but it just ain't my cup o' tea. It in no way diminishes the modeler's talent, however.

Jeff

Respond to this message   

Don Fogal
(Login shogun66)
HyperScale Forums

Understand your feelings Jeff, but....

June 7 2010, 10:34 AM 

...it IS the reality of war.

I felt it was a very somber reminder, and like you I see the excellent workmanship.

Semper Fi, Don

Respond to this message   
Chet
(Login callsign)
HyperScale Forums

Nice Work, But.....

June 7 2010, 11:30 AM 

It's very nice work, but I agree with you. I wouldn't want to be looking at that regularly. Additionally, any aircraft that came apart that badly would not show much left of the pilot, especially posed in a way suggesting he got out of the cockpit and somehow crawled away. This plane disintegrated and so would the crew.

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Nice Work, But.....

June 7 2010, 11:39 AM 

Except it's based of an actual photograph that pretty much looks the same.

Respond to this message   

Jim Clark
(Login hornet78)
HyperScale Forums

"Pretty" much the same

June 7 2010, 11:56 AM 

And thats the problem I have. The way the pilot is posed he would slide off the aircraft. I think the modeler would ahve been better off posing the pilot like the photo shows and also adding the lower part of the g-suit.I;m not tyring to be critical but you look at this dio and it says, the pilot got out, was able to take off his G-Suit, climb up on top of his aircraft and then sucome to his injuires. You look at the pic of the real thing and you get the sence that the pilot was lucky to get out, flair his body up against his plane and then the inevitable happens.
I;m not discounting the craftmanship, it's the story the modeler is trying to tell that I have a problem with and with Dio's that a huge part.

Jim

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

"This plane disintegrated and so would the crew."

June 7 2010, 12:02 PM 

I wasn't really worried about nitpicks, more the point that in the photo the pilot(?) wasn't disintegrated.

Respond to this message   
Don Hinton
(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

Nothing inconstent in the picture

June 7 2010, 5:21 PM 

Hi Mike,

The forward fuselage impacted at a low speed (for an aircraft crash) into a rice paddy. For a jet crash it is remarkably intact. This is not a Cessna, which will crumple into a ball in a crash like this, the 105 was tough. The pilot was in his seat and wearing a helmet, fairly well protected, plus there is a good bit of fuselage to his right side that has to collapse before the cockpit collapses. The injuries he suffered (crushing of the right face, right arm, right leg, can't see the torso to determine visible injuries) look very consistent to many pictures I saw from North Vietnamese files while doing POW/MIA work (which contain many pictures such as this), not to mention the crash sites I've been to. There is a distinct difference in these North Vietnamese pictures of remains from a high speed impact compared to a low speed impact such as this.

There is nothing inconsistent with the picture other than the pilot was drug from the wreckage and placed on the fuselage for propaganda purposes, which actually is very consistent with the North Vietnamese during the war.

Regards,
Don

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Nothing inconstent in the picture

June 8 2010, 12:30 AM 

Yeah, never said there was any inconsistancy.

Respond to this message   
Don Hinton
(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

Clarification

June 8 2010, 1:07 AM 

Hi Mike,

I know you didn't mention inconsistent, but you did question why the pilot wasn't "disintegrated". My reply was just to say that the pilot's remains are very consistent with an impact as shown in the picture, or rather, that there is no inconstancy with the picture. From my experience with these issues, the pilot's injuries are what you'd expect from such an impact.

Regards,
Don

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Clarification

June 8 2010, 3:27 AM 

I didn't say anything about the why the pilot wasn't disintegrated. You should read the whole thread, you've completely lost the context. I was replying to someone who said that the scene would not have happened because the pilot would have been disintegrated, I just said it was based off an actual photo, although we don't know whether the pilot was extracted or had ejected and was brought to the scene. However, since the c/p seems to be relatively intact it's likely the pilot's body would have been too.

Respond to this message   
Don Hinton
(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

My bad

June 8 2010, 4:39 AM 

Mike,

My apologies, I missed that you were talking about the diorama, not the picture.

Still, some in these threads think the pilot's injuries (and they are talking about the dead pilot, not the diorama figure) aren't severe enough, that is what I was discussing. It wasn't directed at you, it was just my observations based on five years of POW/MIA work.

Cheers,
Don

Respond to this message   
Don Hinton
(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

Clarification

June 8 2010, 1:05 AM 

Hi Mike,

I know you didn't mention inconsistent, but you did question why the pilot wasn't "disintegrated". My reply was just to say that the pilot's remains are very consistent with an impact as shown in the picture, or rather, that there is no inconstancy with the picture. From my experience with these issues, the pilot's injuries are what you'd expect from such an impact.

Regards,
Don

Respond to this message   
Don Hinton
(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

Oops, should be below Mike's response n/t

June 8 2010, 1:06 AM 

Respond to this message   

Gary Adams
(Login GarrardA)
HyperScale Forums

I have a feeling....

June 7 2010, 12:10 PM 

......from the photo, that the pilot survived the loss of his craft, ejected and was dealt with on his capture; brought back to his plane for documentation and propeganda purposes. Not an uncommon occurance.

Gary Adams
IPMS #5495

"If flying were the language of man, then soaring would be its poetry". anon.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Byron Boyd
(Login baboyd)
HyperScale Forums

In fact, the fellow who created the diorama has a copy of the actual

June 7 2010, 1:34 PM 

, allegedly obtained from the NVA archives, with the pilot slumped over the nose, but on his stomach, rather than his back (with his uniform considerable more shredded). I suspect that he could well have been placed in this position by the NVA for a staged photo, as it is highly unlikely that he would have been randomly thrown into this position. The actual circumstances of his demise must therefore remain something of a mystery.

But there is an actual photo...

Byron

Respond to this message   
Brad
(Login _Exocet_)

Not enough blood! nt.

June 7 2010, 10:43 AM 

Respond to this message   

Randie Coulter
(Login RCoulter52)
HyperScale Forums

If you had followed the link.....

June 7 2010, 11:32 AM 

you would have found out that the colors in the water do not represent blood. They are the builders representation of of the fluids (fuel, hydraulic and other oils) leaking from the aircraft.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dave Cantrell
(Login dgcantrell)
HyperScale Forums

I'd dare say..

June 7 2010, 2:23 PM 

that it would more than likely just be really muddy water instead of all that red. I agree that it's an amazing dio but it looks more like somebody's chummed the water for sharks than oil and stuff leaking from what's left of the aircraft.

BTW my second cousin flew Thuds in Vietnam. Google his book, "The Light on the Star" by Steve Dotson.

Cheers,
Dave

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Amazing diorama...

June 7 2010, 11:36 AM 

Very impressive, I always shake my head when people get offended by diorama's about war that don't show happy scenes of people enjoying themselves. It's war, this stuff occasionally happens. I've only ever done one diorama, a crashed plane and I showed the pilot dead in the c/p with some blood and burns. Brought it to a LHS to show the owner(I bought the stuff for it there) and some guy went off on me about my disgusting inclusion of the pilot. I just asked him what does he think happens when a plane crashes?

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters