<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Checking on Bf 109G-5 detail

August 3 2010 at 7:28 PM
Joe McDonald  (Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.92.123.130

I think I've got this right, but the windscreens in the Hasegawa kit have me a bit confused. I'm doing a G-5 which from drawings on the 109 Lair and the photo below of Barkhorn's G-5 show no air inlet on the starboard side of the cowl. I think there should be one on the port side however. The Hasegawa kit I have (1/48 scale) provides two windscreens, one with air inlets on both sides, and the other with an air inlet on the starboard side with the port blanked off. The instructions say to use that one for the G-5, but I think they have the inlets backward. I think I should use the one with both inlets and remove the one on the starboard side. Is that correct?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login G.R.Morrison)
HyperScale Forums

Barkhorn's WNr.15909 is a G-6, not G-5

August 3 2010, 9:18 PM 

Your photo is from a sequence in the Bundesarchiv, and shows Barkhorn's WNr.15909 in the spring of 1944, a 'stock' Bf 109G-6. One of Hermann Graf's white-tailed machines from the JGr.50 was only ten later off the line: WNr.15919.

GRM

Respond to this message   
Joe McDonald
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you for the correction - but how many vents on G-5 cowl?

August 3 2010, 10:19 PM 

I haven't done any surgery on the windscreen yet.

Respond to this message   
Joe McDonald
(Login Northwest48)
HyperScale Forums

OK - I think I've got it

August 3 2010, 11:24 PM 

Checked the line drawings again. G-5 One cockpit air inlet, starboard side. G-6, Two cockpit air inlets. The plane I'm doing I am pretty sure is a G-5 (W.Nr. 110089) flown by Gunther Rall in Spring of 1944 when he was shot down by members of Zemke's Wolfpack.

And, the Hasegawa instructions are correct. My brain is not happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login mmoustaf)
HyperScale Forums

15909 is an Erla built G-6 (+)

August 4 2010, 2:48 AM 

However all G-5 built were built on Erla and they were spread among G-6s.

Hence all Erla built G-6 look like G-5's except of silikagel pellets, and head armor which on G-5 was different - the rear wall of the mid-canopy part.

All Erla G-6 had compressor fairing on the right side of the cowling under the "beule".
All Erla G-6 has separate rectangular gun-through ports like here (also an Erla built G-6)

bf109g6r6_022-swfoto.jpg

Another photos are here

7NM3A.jpg
U5YOr.jpg
NegsJ.jpg
7NR2S.jpg
viQyi.jpg
NesWr.jpg
viY1J.jpg
NeFp9.jpg
U6hLA.jpg

Respond to this message   

(Login G.R.Morrison)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, Rall's WNr.110089 is a G-5 and

August 4 2010, 9:56 AM 

Another pilot of the Stab II./JG 11, Fw. Hans Kastenhuber (10 victories) was KIA 12.May 1944 by P-47s near Strinz-Trinitatis in Bf 109G-5 WNr.110190,
GRM

Respond to this message   

stephane SAGOLS
(Login le_steph40)
HyperScale Forums

adding some confusion...

August 4 2010, 3:45 AM 

Hello,

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/07/bf109-g-6-of-hptm-gerhard-barkhorn-jg52.html

I don't know what to think...

Regards
St├ęph

Respond to this message   

(Login mmoustaf)
HyperScale Forums

Falkeeins is wrong, because of all Erla G-6 were the same as G-5 (+)

August 4 2010, 4:10 AM 

The only difference was the head armour. Hence 15909 is a G-6

Respond to this message   

stephane SAGOLS
(Login le_steph40)
HyperScale Forums

Old post regarding Barkhorn'G-6

August 4 2010, 6:44 AM 

Respond to this message   
Neil
(Login FalkeEins)
HyperScale Forums

Falke Eins blog

August 5 2010, 9:39 AM 

Thanks for the correction - if you don't mind I'll quote you on that one !

cheers

Neil

http://www.falkeeins.blogspot.com

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Checking on Bf 109G-5 detail
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters