<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

gunship gray

September 5 2010 at 7:41 PM
john  (Login shumyinghon)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 203.115.201.25

hi ye all

why are USAF jets painted a dark dull gunship grey? doen;t it make the plane more visual?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

they aren't all painted gunship grey nt

September 5 2010, 8:29 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Jeff Adair
(Login Jeff8600)
HyperScale Forums

F-15E....

September 5 2010, 9:03 PM 

is the only one that is over all gunship other than the AC-130 that I can think of

Jeff Adair
Adairsville Ga

Respond to this message   
Alf R.
(Login Alfredo3)
HyperScale Forums

C-23?

September 5 2010, 9:57 PM 

I know I've got a picture of a Sherpa wearing something very Gunship looking. It's from the period after Euro I was (sadly) phased out.

My hunch, however, is that it is a fresh coat of whatever the dark grey that isn't Gunship grey that whatever MAC is now called uses on its KC-10s. What a lovely sentence that was.

Edit: Found the picture, in a USAF gazette published in '89, so it was a MAC-era paint job. Scanner is dead, so no joy on posting it, I'm afraid.

This message has been edited by Alfredo3 from IP address 72.75.117.96 on Sep 5, 2010 10:27 PM

Respond to this message   
Jeff Adair
(Login Jeff8600)
HyperScale Forums

USAF Heavies...

September 5 2010, 10:55 PM 

All of the USAF cargo AC are AMC grey (FS26173)
C-5, C-17, C-130 and C-141 etc.

Jeff Adair
Adairsville Ga

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login TomGaj)
HyperScale Forums

B-52 and B-1 have been overall 36118 since the early '90s.

September 5 2010, 11:50 PM 

B-52s were briefly overall 36081 (Dark Gunship Gray) before 36118 went fleet-wide.

Respond to this message   
Dana Bell
(Login DanaBellColors)
HyperScale Forums

Gunship Gray (36118) rocks!

September 5 2010, 10:19 PM 

Hi John,

Going back all the way to the late 1930s, dark grays have proven themselves to be the best colors for a variety of camouflage situations. Aircraft below 10,000 feet tend to appear dark, so that is the one place where dark grays don't work all that well. Still, most missions are flown above 10,000 to avoid small arms. Above 10,000 feet, there's enough atmosphere below you to reflect a bunch of light, so aircraft tend to silver up a bit - darker shades are harder to see. (That's why the AAF chose Neutral Gray during WWII.)

From above, lighter aircraft tend to be pretty visible against the earth or sea. I had an F-16 ride out of Eielson in the mid-90s - on takeoff we overflew six medium/light gray F/A-18s approaching for landing. They might have been more visible if they were painted neon red, but probably not by much. And while dark greens or blues can be nice if you're in close, as you start backing off, you can't distinguish the colors - gray is just as effective.

Air-to-air at altitude, everything seems pretty dark unless the cloud base and sun are just right - in nearly every other situation the darker tones are the best.

At night, dark gray offers less visibility than flat black. (However, visually, gloss black is the hardest to detect.)

For me the big question is why MORE aircraft aren't wearing Gunship Gray...

Cheers,

Dana

Respond to this message   
Alf R.
(Login Alfredo3)
HyperScale Forums

That about sums it up. Nice post!

September 5 2010, 10:38 PM 

Having just enjoyed Ron Cline's AV-8 mini walkaround in the Jet Age, it would seem that the Marines have their stuff in a pile--although I'm sure that USMC Gunship grey isn't Gunship grey. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Jeff Adair
(Login Jeff8600)
HyperScale Forums

Heres you a good FS chart!

September 5 2010, 11:10 PM 

Respond to this message   
Alf R.
(Login Alfredo3)
HyperScale Forums

I'd hurl additional compliments at you, but...

September 5 2010, 11:42 PM 

There's no Sherpa on your list wink.gif

But I certainly won't hold its absence against you, seeing as how the C-23 was a bit of an odd USAFE only duck. I'm currently wondering if my photo may pre-date Euro-I as there's an MP officer wearing the old style helmet within the photo. If so, this particular shade of Gunship Grey that isn't really Gunship Grey might not actually be on the FS register. It might be UK spec paint--a sort of reverse Phantom scenario.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters