<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Need color advice. P-38.

January 7 2011 at 7:37 PM
hkshooter  (Login hkshooter)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 72.86.83.163

I just discovered to my amazement that I have no idea what color wartime P-38 wheel wells were. I'm currently checking my refs but so far have come up with only restored planes or black and white pics. Any ideas?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Malcolm McKay
(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

IIRC exterior colour mostly, n/t

January 7 2011, 7:40 PM 

Respond to this message   
hkshooter
(Login hkshooter)
HyperScale Forums

Then for a OD over neutral gray bird, neutral gray wheel bays. nt.

January 7 2011, 7:44 PM 

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login gravediggerdan2000)
HyperScale Forums

Wheel Well Color

January 7 2011, 7:43 PM 

I built the 1/72nd scale Academy P-38. On my P-38 I went with the same color as the interior, Interior Green. Hope this helps.

Dan

Respond to this message   
hkshooter
(Login hkshooter)
HyperScale Forums

Ok, a vote for interior green.

January 7 2011, 7:45 PM 

Out of curiosity I've been checking some models and it seems everyone has their own ideas. I've seen IG, ZC, exterior color, and bare metal.

Respond to this message   

Scott Barrus
(Login wossname)
HyperScale Forums

NOT interior green...

January 7 2011, 9:19 PM 

...at least not all of them! There has been a lot of information posted here on that subject over the years. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that earlier models would probably have been aluminum paint, and later on they went to Neutral Gray. I usually don't find the search function on Plane Talking too helpful, but a search for "p-38 wheel wells" turned up more stuff than I feel like quoting for you right now. Check it out.
Hope this helps!

~Mr. BoxShaker

Respond to this message   
hkshooter
(Login hkshooter)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks! I have so little faith in the search function I rarely use it.

January 7 2011, 10:23 PM 

Respond to this message   
hkshooter
(Login hkshooter)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the input. I've found what I'm looking for.

January 7 2011, 10:56 PM 

Respond to this message   

Scott Barrus
(Login wossname)
HyperScale Forums

Yippee!

January 7 2011, 11:15 PM 

[linked image]
...looks like NG to me!
happy.gif

~Mr. BoxShaker

Respond to this message   

Snake
(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Ah, but what's the red?

January 8 2011, 12:18 PM 

I know, it's "vermillion." But which Model Master car color would be closest--

Italian Red

Ford Engine Red

or Chevy Engine Red?

I'm leaning towards the Ford Engine Red for mine.

"Don't let us get sick,
Don't let us get old,
Don't let us get stupid, all right?"

--Warren Zevon

"Two out of three ain't bad."

--Meat Loaf (actually Jim Steinman)

Respond to this message   

Andrew Gaitan
(Login Kaibutsu)
HyperScale Forums

What was it? n/t

January 7 2011, 11:36 PM 

Respond to this message   

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

Burt kinzey'd book P-38 Detail in scale-

January 7 2011, 11:37 PM 

shows color photos of restored P-38s with wheel wells being chromate yellow. Some had Chomate yellow upper surfaces with polished aluminum side walls.

The three most worthless things in aviation: sky above, runway behind & fuel in the truck.

Bryant

Respond to this message   

Rian J
(Login Rhinosd)
HyperScale Forums

Neutral Gray and later Aluminum Lacquer

January 7 2011, 11:42 PM 

Wheel wells and interior of the well doors of OD/NG aircraft were painted in Neutral Gray with some structural elements in Zinc Chromate Yellow. Undercarriage legs were painted in Aluminium lacquer.

Natural Metal Finish P-38's had aluminum lacquer wheel wells and interior of the well doors.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

john clark
(Select Login recalcitrant21)
HyperScale Forums

p-38 wheel wells

January 8 2011, 12:24 AM 

I have been looking at this very thing lately and this is what I have seen looking at several books with wartime color photos. Good books to look at for P-38 colors are "Fighter Command: American Fighters in original WW II Color" by Jeffrey Ethell and Robert T. Sand;"The Lost Squadron" by David Hayes; P-38 Lightning in WW II Color" by Jefrey Ethell.

The P-38 recovered in Greenland and restored as "Glacier Girl" was a P-38 F-1 that began life as a P-38E and was brought to F standards on the assembly line. Struts and wheel wells look like silver laqcuer, other interior parts chromate yellow. I will build a P-38F-1 with a side opening canopy and it will have silver wheel wells and struts.

Some of the other pictures in these books have G and H models with neutral grey struts and what little I can see of the wheel wells looks like neutral grey. There is another picture that shows several G or H models with neutral grey struts and what may be chromate yellow in the gear door interiors...or, because its muddy it just might be mud splashed making them look yellowish or even something with the film.

The later J and L models that are natural metel still look to have neutral grey struts and maybe neutral grey gear door interiors. Too much shadow on the pictures I have. Perhaps very late L models had the silver struts again...or the light is just catching the struts right. Beats me. I think you are good with neutral grey. Of course repair shops may really skew things with repaints.

Others may know more about these things than I so I offer but humble observations.

John Clark

Respond to this message   
Lee Kolosna
(Login leekol)
HyperScale Forums

General rules of thumb for P-38 modelers

January 8 2011, 10:28 AM 

Early P-38s (up till the F/G models) had aluminum lacquer struts and wheel wells. With the aluminum shortage in 1942/43, manufacturers were asked to limit the use of aluminum paints and Lockheed went to Neutral Gray struts and wheel wells. There are clear period color photographs of this, include Yippie! (the 5000th Lightning built) and into the production run of the L model. Very late P-38s seem to have returned to aluminum lacquer struts with either Interior Green or Chromate Yellow gear well interiors. As with all US aircraft, there were some exceptions to the general rule.

Lee K

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters