<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Somewhat of a Poll, but on topic

April 26 2011 at 2:34 PM
Brad Main  (Login BradinBC)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 96.50.123.30

So who here spends money on reference material/pubs prior to commencing a project? I don't, but if it's a subject that I think I'll be interested in for awhile (insert Spitfire & Zero here) or if it's an aircraft or subject I will make multiple models of, I might. Just wondering if there are guys out there like me, who won't invest a lot in reference material if building a "one of" subject for the shelf.

TIA

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

I most definitely do... sometimes to excess!

April 26 2011, 2:38 PM 

I rarely even think of starting something unless I know what I want to do with it, and have a plan for how to get there. I usually end up with a lot of reference material for whatever I do.

Respond to this message   

Ghostmech
(Login Ghostmech)
HyperScale Forums

TMI dude!

April 26 2011, 8:51 PM 

wink.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
David Geocaris
(Login DRG95)
HyperScale Forums

I also spend gobs on reference materials in expectation . . .

April 26 2011, 2:45 PM 

of future builds. I will go on a tear for a particular subject even if I don't plan on building for a year or more. It depends on when I find something available on a given subject and the level of interest I currently have - I have quite an extensive library which far exceeds my built-up kits.

Respond to this message   

Mike Maben
(Login MikeMaben)
HyperScale Forums

Of course it depends...

April 26 2011, 2:52 PM 

...on the subject, but I can always justify the expense by telling myself
that I can sell the book(s) and recoup some, if not all of the money when
I'm finished with the kit(s). Whenever that is.

Respond to this message   

A.G.Whitaker
(Login a.g.whitaker)

Not so much these days.

April 26 2011, 2:54 PM 

Buying less and less printed matter these days.

I find a few minutes of digging (Google) the web comes up with lots of information and images on any ship or aircraft.

Same thing with cooking, why bother with cook books. Making a pot of chilli?

Google it, 100's of recipes, instantly. Pick one and print it.

Respond to this message   

Don Fogal
(Login shogun66)
HyperScale Forums

I do.. to a point...

April 26 2011, 3:01 PM 

I think it mainly depends on the subject, or kit I'm working on.

I have 3 or 4 good books on Corsairs, that I'll use for any Corsair builds I do. For the most part, it's a kit I already know.

But for something like the 1/48th scale AC-119K Stinger, and AC-123 I'm planning, I'm still looking for references...

1 or 2 good books usually will do it for me... But I also don't count the hundreds of magazines I have as references. I'll read the articles (Where have we heard that before wink.gif ) but for real references, I go to subject focused books, or spend a few hours on the internet asking silly questions here at Hyperscale...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don

This message has been edited by shogun66 from IP address 174.106.141.160 on Apr 26, 2011 3:02 PM

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow1)
HyperScale Forums

If my existing material doesn't cover planned subject.

April 26 2011, 3:10 PM 

I will purchase additional material as needed. I do NOT go into the detail that some 'good modellers' do. If it kinda looks like it, ...... I'm fine with it!!

Bo

Respond to this message   

bob in Maine
(Login gingerbob)
HyperScale Forums

Not exactly, but...

April 26 2011, 3:24 PM 

I don't think I buy references specifically toward building models (though there are doubtlessly exceptions). Those "How to build Tamiya's Mustang" books don't attract me, other than a flip through for eye-candy.

To me there's a distinction, though a very fuzzy one sometimes, between learning about the airplane type and researching towards building the model. I'm certainly one to spot a photo and think, "Ooh, that's how I want to do my ____!" That might, in turn, make me do some research to see whether I can actually do the variant that I've spotted, or what's involved in getting to it.

Learning about the individual subject (markings, etc) then spills over into context, which brings me back to learning about the type more generally- at which point I often end up wanting to do another variant as well, which leads me to finding a scheme, which...

If it is just a matter of "Ooh, I've just gotta have an He-112 on the shelf!" then I do what I reasonably can and press on... or at least that's what I try to do! The problem is that the ones I just gotta have tend to be the ones I already like, or getting too close to them makes me want to learn more about the type, and off I go again.

bob

Respond to this message   

Brent - Roll Models' Slacker!
(Login CBRent)
HyperScale Forums

Sometimes the refs *are* the inspiration

April 26 2011, 3:30 PM 

I have gotten excited about a subject after checking out an Osprey Aces book. Or I run across a fun decal sheet. Windsock magazine does the trick too.

Have fun!

Brent

Respond to this message   
Rex
(Login RexTN)
HyperScale Forums

I kept buying books after I stopped buying so many kits

April 26 2011, 3:33 PM 

I buy the paperback booklets like some people buy magazines,,,,the hardcovers slightly slower

I always have a book handy for reference for every kit I start on

I buy them using my own "$12 rule",,,a place online I wanted to buy photos from wanted $12 for each hard print,,,,so, if the book has at least one "on topic to me" photo per $12 of cover price,,,,,all the rest of the book is free to me

same with decals,,,,at $10 per sheet to get one option I'd want,,,if a kit comes close, it's "more decals with a free kit thrown in"

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

J.Healy
(Login J.Healy)
HyperScale Forums

Not in a long time. Already have a decent library......

April 26 2011, 3:38 PM 

and everything else is available online.

Respond to this message   
Ben Parsons
(Login hurricanemk1)
HyperScale Forums

Almost never. Do occasionally use public library.

April 26 2011, 3:54 PM 

Not an authenticity nut. Have the Great Book of Fighters.
Use references to absorb some of the technical data and to see if an aircraft might, maybe, have been available to rise on combat patrol during the WW II years.
Inspiration comes from decal profiles, Plastic Pix (here and elsewhere), and box art once in a while.
I use whatever decals/stencils I think will add to the finished product. I do try not to get too carried away.

Ben Parsons

"I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together." - Red Green
Of course 1 inch = 4 feet. There are others? .... Why?

Respond to this message   
Leonard LaRoux
(Login neoteepo)
HyperScale Forums

I'm more likely to buy a "model" AFTER I've bought a

April 26 2011, 4:43 PM 

reference book; works both ways for me though. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

Respond to this message   

Karen Coughlin
(Login Seavixen56)
HyperScale Forums

Almost Never...

April 27 2011, 10:08 AM 

I usually just use the kit instructions and the pictures on the box. Oh, and this web site.

Karen

Respond to this message   
Graham Boak
(Login agboak)
HyperScale Forums

Good references are always welcomed

April 27 2011, 11:46 AM 

It is only rarely that I buy a specific reference for a model, but then I've over 50 years backlog of books and magazines already. There are books that I've bought in the hope of getting specific information to later do a model - most of the Ospreys fall into that category, for recent examples, and the Concord books on British AFVs. Buying the book on River class frigates was so close to the release of the kit that I have to say that this was one case, though I tell myself I'd have got round to it anyway, one day. I probably would have bought the Navy Fighters book on the Bermuda/Bucanneer anyway.

Respond to this message   
Brad Main
(Login BradinBC)
HyperScale Forums

River Class Frigate

April 27 2011, 8:02 PM 

Hi Graham,

Being a sailor in the Canadian Navy, I was waiting for the this release, has it been cancelled? Are we talking about the 1/350 class resin kit from L-Arsenal?

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Respond to this message   

Chip Jean
(Login ChipJean)
HyperScale Forums

I do very little research anymore so I rarely buy books anymore

April 27 2011, 1:09 PM 

The only book I recall buying in the past 5 years was Roy's Sea Vixen book. About 20-25 years ago, I was wrapped up in research that project after project after project was stalled because I couldn't find just right picture, in just the right light, of just the side I wanted, at just the right angle, with just the right unit markings. That was followed by grad school where research was an almost daily thing. When I finished grad school, I decided I really liked building models but didn't really like research, adjusted my behavior accordingly and I'm a much happier and productive kit assembler for it. If you look at my reference library, except for magazines, it's almost all from the '80s. The vast majority of the little research I do is on-line now.

Respond to this message   
Terry McGrady
(Login 16247)
HyperScale Forums

Frequently. In the UK there are numerous "Remainder " Book Shops

April 27 2011, 1:40 PM 

Crowood books I pay 1/2 price or less for . so Might see a book , just buy it and not read it at the time , but save it for a future date .Probably why I have upwards of 1000.
Kits may vary , but its always good to have information.
I may decide to build an A20/ Boston - got the kits got the books .
Other A/C such as The Kittyhawk . well get info from PRO . Orbs as many sources as I can find.

Cheers
Terry McGrady

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters