<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Can tamiya's 32nd Mustang be built in a OD/Neutral Gray scheme?

July 30 2011 at 10:08 PM
  (Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 208.84.170.245

Guys,
I build armor and this is a great looking kit, but natural metal scares me-so can it be built in OD out of the box?
Thanks, Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

Sure....you can paint whatever scheme you like -

July 30 2011, 10:13 PM 

Doesn't have to NMF. Lotsa choices out there.

[linked image]
It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

Respond to this message   

Marty Perry
(Login Martosaurus)
HyperScale Forums

Not Exactly OD

July 30 2011, 10:14 PM 

but the 357th FG and some other units painted their aircraft in the field in dark green and grey.

He's crazy, Lou- He builds toy aeroplanes!

Respond to this message   
F Crenshaw
(Login Frank_C)
HyperScale Forums

no

July 30 2011, 10:16 PM 

The kit itself could be painted OD (There likely will be some AM decals that feature it this way)
The good news is that you won't have to change anything in the kit - just get new markings.

But the kit supplied markings are only for NMF (or mostly NMF) birds.

Frank

Respond to this message   

(Login pat9d)
HyperScale Forums

I think you can do the prototype D model , don't know

July 30 2011, 10:25 PM 

if you would have to tweak the kit however. Just the nat'l insignia on the prototype IIRC

This message has been edited by pat9d from IP address 74.180.31.234 on Jul 30, 2011 10:27 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Well, not really.

July 30 2011, 10:30 PM 

The "prototype D" was a B/C airframe with the D-type canopy and decking. (Different wing, front-end paneling, etc.)

I've read that the first six production Ds were actually razorbacks, but have never found a photo of one to confirm.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   

(Login pat9d)
HyperScale Forums

Ahhh....thank you, which leads me to another question:

July 30 2011, 10:37 PM 

Why was the crank angle of the leading edge at the wingroot changed on the D. Aerodynamics to get more wing area? Landing gear changes? TIA, Pat D

Respond to this message   
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

Landing gear geometry changes

July 30 2011, 10:42 PM 

Respond to this message   

Christian A.
(Login tourist51)
HyperScale Forums

Interestingly...

July 30 2011, 10:59 PM 

...the old Revell Smithsonian edition is perfect to build 43-12102 (the bubble canopy prototype) since it has the P-51B wing with a P-51D fuselage (a LOT of work still needs to be done).
There are two cockpit photos of one of the two XP-51D's but nothing else.

Christian A.

Respond to this message   

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

I've considered doing exactly that...

July 30 2011, 11:15 PM 

...with that Revell 1/32 "P-51D" kit. Another huge problem with it is that it began life as the "Miss America" racer with a goofy, "chopped" canopy profile, and Revell never fixed this, so it still has the racer canopy. At one time Squadron had a 1/32 vac canopy for the Hasegawa kit, and I bought one, but can't find it at the moment. sad.gif

My other option for that kit is to put a scratchbuilt 1/24 cockpit in it, and a Corvair or small-block Chevy V8 engine in it, build it as a 2/3 scale homebuilt replica, and put in on my model car shelf with the other 1/24-1/25 stuff. wink.gif

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   
Joe Hegedus
(Login JoeHegedus)
HyperScale Forums

That's a neat idea

July 31 2011, 8:14 AM 

The 1/24 2/3 scale homebuilt would make an interesting project - and minor outline errors wouldn't matter so much!

Respond to this message   

(Login Frank_C)
HyperScale Forums

there are plenty of painted mustangs - but as Marty said

July 30 2011, 10:39 PM 

they were painted in the field by the Groups. They arrived in NMF and were painted Green over grey (and not always OD green)

Clarence Anderson's OLD CROW was painted like this (and certainly Yeagers bird as well)

But none of those markings are in the box - he will have to get AM markings or something.

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

I love Old Crow!

July 31 2011, 9:11 AM 

And just the paint scheme!
Dan

Respond to this message   

John Krukowski
(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Nice-ish photo of it...

July 31 2011, 9:53 AM 

Maj. Anderson's "Old Crow"...gotta love those whitewall tires!
[linked image]

And Capt. Yeager's P-51 as mentioned earlier...
[linked image]
John

YOU. You're good YOU...
[linked image]
na no YOU. You're GOOD.

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

Mmmm-Old Crow....

July 31 2011, 10:53 PM 

Thanks Buddy!
Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Oh, did you mean THIS O/C?

July 31 2011, 11:43 PM 

[linked image]
"Mmmmm"...

John

YOU. You're good YOU...
[linked image]
na no YOU. You're GOOD.

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

That's it!

August 1 2011, 9:54 AM 

The only problem is that the bottle is full!
Dan

Respond to this message   

John Krukowski
(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Not'nymore! :)

August 1 2011, 6:44 PM 

I took that picture for anyone who still thinks the name "Old Crow" had anything to do with birds, flight, etc...it was named after the whiskey, according to Bud Anderson himself.

John

YOU. You're good YOU...
[linked image]
na no YOU. You're GOOD.

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

Too true!

August 1 2011, 6:51 PM 

I read his book and then decided to try the whisky-and never have looked back!
Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login tubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Back? or up?

August 1 2011, 7:09 PM 

These days, Old Crow is usually found on the very first shelf, just above the floor!

Good stuff, my father-in law had some laying around the house one holiday until us son-in-laws got into it, been a fan ever since.

BTW here's my Hawk version from a hundred years ago:
[linked image]
John

YOU. You're good YOU...
[linked image]
na no YOU. You're GOOD.

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

Up I think!

August 2 2011, 12:53 PM 

John,
Great looking "Old Crow" that you have there-it might be a good option for the new Tamiya kit.
Dan

Respond to this message   

Marty Perry
(Login Martosaurus)
HyperScale Forums

Bud Told A Story

July 31 2011, 1:23 PM 

when he came here to give a talk on his career. He had flown over some snow covered mountains in his camouflaged Mustang and noticed how starkly the other painted aitcraft in his squadron stood out against the sylvan backdrop, and made an offhand remark to his crew chief about it after the mission. The next day he went out to his aircraft and was surprised to see it in bright, shiny NMF. His crew had stayed up all night scrubbing off every speck of paint!

He's crazy, Lou- He builds toy aeroplanes!

Respond to this message   

(Login RD2484)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Bud Told A Story

July 31 2011, 5:01 PM 

I used to have a VHS tape that had that story on it. He also said they used aviation fuel to remove the paint. You could tell he was choked up when he told the story.

Respond to this message   

(Login agboak)
HyperScale Forums

Yes

July 31 2011, 1:06 PM 

4th FG had at least one OD/NG P-51D. Look in Gary Fry's Debden Eagles. (At least, I think that's where I saw it.)

Respond to this message   

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Non-NMF P-51Ds

July 30 2011, 10:42 PM 

You have several options.

*Silver-painted postwar or Korean war example. (Floquil Old Silver or Pewter looks fabulous and is VERY easy to apply.)

*Dark Green/Gray 357FG--many to choose from.

*Howard "Deacon" Hively's OD/NG of 4FG.

*RAF camo paint.

*Israeli camo.

*Domincan AF camo of the '70s-'80s.

*Civilian warbird or racer.

There are probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   

(Login jinxx1)
HyperScale Forums

Or something different like Latin American P-51s

July 30 2011, 11:34 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login panamadan)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks much guys!

July 31 2011, 9:08 AM 

I wasn't sure if the kit would have to be modified or backdated to be painted OD. Thanks for the post-war ideas as that wasn't on my radar screen! Those schemes seem to be the most attractive to me!
Hope to see some Mustang builds here on hyperscale!
Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login Dwayne1955)
HyperScale Forums

Eagle- Editions Has Some of the 357th FG Already

July 31 2011, 10:18 AM 

They still list their 3 sheets as available. On these are included "Frenesi", "Ol'Flack Joe", "Missouri Armada", and "Passion Wagon", under the sheet titles of "To War With the Yoxford Boys" (357th Fighter Group,8th Air Force).

As already said, they were field painted, colors are generally considered British Dark Green over Med. Sea Grey.

Link to E-E's site is below

http://www.eagle-editions.com/mustangs.htm

HTH, Dwayne

Respond to this message   
David Hannant
(Login DHannant)
HyperScale Forums

RAF P-51D

July 31 2011, 12:11 PM 

If you don't mind a non USAAF machine Xtradecal already have available this decahttp://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X32043 which includes three camouflaged aircraft, one each RAF, RAAF and RCAF as well as three RAF silver aircraft.
Contents:
North American P-51D Mustang Mk.IV (6) KH655 QV-P 19 Sqn RAF Peterhead; KM680 Y2-B 442 (RCAF) Sqn PO A.J.Mallandine 'Edmonton Special'RAF Hunsdon May; KH755 CV-W 3(RAAF) Sqn 'Anita' Italy; All OD/Dk Grey/Med Grey. KH765 HG-R 154 Sqn Alex Forsyth RAF Hunsdon; KM138 AK-Y 213 Sqn Italy; KM232 JAS Wg.Cdr J.A.Storrer Wing Ldr RAF Hunsdon. All Aluminium. All 1945.
Ready for the new Tamiya kit.

This message has been edited by DHannant from IP address 92.26.49.10 on Jul 31, 2011 12:16 PM
This message has been edited by DHannant from IP address 92.26.49.10 on Jul 31, 2011 12:13 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login cnimsk)
HyperScale Forums

Yes...just not with the markings supplied in the kit

August 1 2011, 2:11 AM 

There were plenty of P-51D's that were painted a shade of green or olive drab over grey. Several groups, right after D-Day did so preparing for a move to the continent if necessary. For example the 357th Fighter Group. Just wait a few days and there will be plenty of after market decals available. Right now many are sold out. And new ones will be released especially designed for the Tamiya kit. So...paint away. The only question involved is exactly what shade of green to use...an RAF green shade, Olive Drab, or a US army green. Lots of debate and questions about just what shades were used...probably all three in all honesty. They just used what was handy at the moment.

Chuck

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Can tamiya's 32nd Mustang be built in a OD/Neutral Gray scheme?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters