<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Another ace takes his final flight: Col. James Morehead

March 11 2012 at 10:43 PM

(Login Mark_Joyce)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 75.104.167.146

I'm saddened to report that I've learned Colonel James Bruce Morehead just passed away this morning. Col. Morehead flew with the 49th FG in the early days of America's entry into WWII, where he was credited with 7 victories. Later in the war he flew with the 1st FG, where he gained an additional victory during a mission to Ploesti. He put his experiences and thoughts to paper in his autobiography, "In My Sights: The Memoir of a P-40 Ace."

Col. Morehead was the advisor of the Northern California Friends of the American Fighter Aces Association, and I was honored and privileged to have met and talked with him numerous times over the years. He was a true American patriot, who lived life to its fullest until the end.

God Speed, Col. Morehead!

Mark

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

I read his book several weeks ago--In My Sights Completed

March 11 2012, 11:02 PM 

It is even a signed copy. I enjoyed the book even if much of it is about hunting rather than flying. I wish we had more P-40 pilot memoirs.

Regards,
Don

Respond to this message   

(Login Mark_Joyce)
HyperScale Forums

Don, if you haven't already read the first "In My Sights."

March 11 2012, 11:27 PM 

There's plenty about flying in it. I believe Col. Morehead's main purpose in "Completed" was to add a hundred or so pages that the editors and/or publishers omitted from the original. In reality, some of the original book (a better read, IMHO) was left out of "Completed."

There are actually quite a number of P-40 pilot memoirs out there. The trick is tracking them down. One of my favorites is "Stocky" Edwards's, "Kittyhawk Pilot."

Regards,

Mark

Respond to this message   

(Login Starfire94C)
HyperScale Forums

Kittyhawk Pilot

March 12 2012, 1:33 AM 

Hi Mark,

Excellent! I wasn't aware of the book Kittyhawk Pilot, I will see if I can find a copy. I love RAF/Commonwealth memoirs and the P-40, so this sounds perfect.

Cheers,
Don

Respond to this message   

Ron Cline
(Login roncline)
HyperScale Forums

That's sad news, Mark

March 12 2012, 10:21 PM 

Although I didn't know him on a personal level, I have shaken his hand and gotten his autograph on multiple occasions when I was able to attend the Ace symposiums, and fully agree with all you said about him. And his book was very much a great read.

Morehead.jpg

inmysights2.jpg

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Another ace takes his final flight: Col. James Morehead
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters