<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Humbrol Enamels for Spitfires

March 21 2012 at 12:03 PM

Matt  (Login Kriegmeister23)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 67.193.113.254

Hello all. Having recently seen some excellent results on friends' models using Humbrols, I am tempted to give them a shot. I happen to have recently stripped a Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb, with the intent of re-painting it as a 303 (Polish) RAF machine.

Two questions:

- Which are the proper colours to use in the Humbrol line for a standard RAF Gray/Green over Gray machine; and
- does lacquer thinner work well to thin them for airbrushing?

Regards,

Matt

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login rs2man)
HyperScale Forums

Humbrol

March 21 2012, 12:23 PM 

Humbrol colours are as follows :

Ocean Grey . 106
Dark Green . 163 or 116 . 163 is satin , 116 is matt , so use whichever you prefer
Medium Sea Grey . 165
Sky (for fuselage band & spinner) . 90
Yellow (for leading edges) 24

Some of these may not be 100% acurate , but they're the nearest ones .

Yes , you can thin them with lacquer thinners .

John Green
Cheshire , UK

Respond to this message   

(Login veltro-uk)
HyperScale Forums

I agree with John's suggested Humbrol colour choices

March 21 2012, 2:26 PM 

However, I have always (since 1979) used white spirit (mineral spirits) as a thinner for Humbrol enamels with no problems, and consistent results, for both airbrushing and hand-painting. I've been happy enough not to bother trying lacquer thinners, so can't comment on its applicability or otherwise.

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

I'd certainly be inclined to use something besides lacquer thinner for brush painting...

March 21 2012, 2:30 PM 

Mineral spirits or petroleum based "paint thinner" would be a better choice, in my opinion, for brush painting than lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner, of course, will attack polystyrene. I'd be careful with that.

Cheers,

Lee G.

Respond to this message   

Larry Schmidt
(Select Login CSMO)
HyperScale Forums

Testors Thinner

March 21 2012, 3:03 PM 

I brush paint Humbrol and Xtracolor, and I thin paint when necessary with Testors Thinner as it what I can get locally. It works just fine. Gloss stays gloss, flat stays flat. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

Respond to this message   

John Healy
(Login J.Healy)
HyperScale Forums

Same here! I use 106, 116, 165, and 90. For the green, I like......

March 21 2012, 11:15 PM 

the 116 as it dries faster then satin 163.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Humbrol Enamels for Spitfires
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters