<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Curing time for White Extra Fine Milliput

March 21 2012 at 2:36 PM
  (Login PRILLER13)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 74.83.168.146

I put some Milliput on a model last night to fill an engine nacelle that was "short shot" in the mold. The plastic was so thin you could see through it and the engine nacelle was not the correct shape (an old Monogram kit, BTW). I kneaded the 2 parts of Milliput together (and yes, they were well mixed) and placed it on the weak, distorted area last night around 10 P.M. I tried to sand it today on my lunch hour (around noon) and once I sanded through the upper layer (which was very hard and cured to the touch), the underlying layer was still rather gummy and did not want to sand well. The total depth of the Milliput was about 2-4 mm thick. I stopped sanding and will let it cure out for another day or 2 until it is completely set up. Is this typical for Milliput? I have just started using this filler over the past couple years and usually don't have to put it on this thick. I was somewhat concerned when it was not completly cured throughout. TIA for your input.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login maxfinn)
HyperScale Forums

It's possible...

March 21 2012, 3:05 PM 

That you either didn't get it mixed as well as you thought you did, or, that it's "gone bad". Being an epoxy putty, there shouldn't be any issues with laying it on thick as it doesn't cure through solvents evaporating. The cure is via the chemical reaction from the two parts interacting.

The soft stuff you sanded into may cure with some more time, but I have my doubts.

But then, others may know different about Milliput as I don't use the stuff, I use Apoxy Sculpt. But they are both epoxy putties and I'd expect them to behave pretty much the same.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Brews
(Login brews1)
HyperScale Forums

My guess is that it wasn't mixed properly, too.

March 21 2012, 3:10 PM 

You might be able to accelerate the hardening by microwaving it. If you mix more than you need, you can freeze the leftover, and thaw it in the microwave when you're ready to use it again. You don't want to over-thaw it, though.

Respond to this message   
Chris Hall
(Login chrishallpingu)
HyperScale Forums

That's what it sounds liketo me. Whenever I

March 21 2012, 8:09 PM 

use White Milliput (and it's the only grade of the stuff that I do use) I mix a little more than I'm going to use. I use the surplus to make some model penguins

[linked image]

which I can then use to see if the Milliput is hardened and ready to stand. I normally give Milliput a day to harden, though it usually takes less. Remember to use exactly equal quantities of the two putties and, when you think you have mixed them together thoroughly, mis them again for the same amount of time. Twice.

Cheers,

Chris.

Respond to this message   

(Login hdente)
HyperScale Forums

I've had that happen on occasion with Milliput too; no idea why. I switched to Avies and

March 21 2012, 4:45 PM 

Have never had the problem again. Add to that it's easier to get, works easier and is a bit cheaper for me, I got rid of the Miliput I had and use only the Avies. A better product in my opinion.

Respond to this message   
Jeff Thomsen
(Login rjefft2001)
HyperScale Forums

Yup....agreed!

March 21 2012, 7:31 PM 

Sandable the next day.

Jeff

Respond to this message   
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

How old was the putty?

March 21 2012, 3:28 PM 

Really old epoxy putty will never really cure to its full hardness. Found that out the hard (no pun intended) way.

Respond to this message   

(Login PRILLER13)
HyperScale Forums

It is probably 2 years old

March 21 2012, 4:17 PM 

Bought this Milliput maybe 2 years ago from Sprue Brothers. I think they turn it over often enough that it wasn't old on the shelf. It does have that yellow tint to the one part on the outside. I did mix it. In fact, I over mix it. Usually if it isn't mixed, it won't be a uniform color through it. I mix it until it is uniform, then knead it for about 5 more minutes. I'm gonna see how it does giving it about 12 more hours more to cure and then try sanding it again. I know the stuff gets like granite after a few days. I'm not sure I've sanded any this soon, but I am trying to get to the painting stage on this kit ASAP. Trying to hit a deadline.

Respond to this message   
Chris Hall
(Login chrishallpingu)
HyperScale Forums

Shelf life is important. I've just thrown

March 22 2012, 8:58 AM 

out half a pack of white Milliput because it was too hard to mix. I bought it two years and three months ago, and it had probably been sitting on the retailer's shelf for at least a couple of months.

Cheers,

Chris.

Respond to this message   

(Login nzdavidh)
HyperScale Forums

Not typical and I have older milliput that still works fine

March 21 2012, 5:21 PM 

Sounds unusual. Given it was well mixed, not especially thick and not that old it does seem a little odd. Hopefully it will fire off properly by the time you come back to it.

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale

Respond to this message   
wallacejohn
(Login johnwallace)
HyperScale Forums

4mm is quite thick,I would leave it a couple of days before sanding n/t

March 21 2012, 6:15 PM 

nm

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Curing time for White Extra Fine Milliput
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters