<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airbrush advice, recommendations?

April 4 2012 at 3:15 AM
Chris  (Login ChrisXR8)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 203.206.25.233

Hi Everyone,

I am after a recommendation. I have used Badger airbrushes exclusively since I got my first one - a badger 100 (looks like a 350).

I used a 175 for a while, then a 200, but over the last few years I have been using 150s. I am using 2 150s at the moment and am having a devil of a time with them so I am considering changing brands. Some of the Iwata ones look really good, as well as some of the Paasche ones. Not a huge fan of the Testors one.

I like dual action, internal mix airbrushes. Not a fan of gavity feed (sorry I guess I want everything!)

I am looking for advice on which Iwata or Paasche is like a (perfectly working) 150 in function and performance.

all assistance and feedback is welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Justin in Lubbock
(Login MrDrummy)
HyperScale Forums

Ever thought about sending in your 150s for service?

April 4 2012, 4:17 AM 

I'm in the same spot you are-been using two 150's since I started, and both are a little finicky. I've heard badger will take them and fix them up for a small fee.

Edit: it's free-see link below.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Service-Supprt.asp

Maybe that's an option?

Either way, good luck! Learning a new airbrush is tough. I bought the Badger Renegade Velocity awhile back and am still trying to figure it out.

This message has been edited by MrDrummy from IP address 75.111.165.25 on Apr 4, 2012 4:26 AM

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login ChrisXR8)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Justin, but I'm in Australia, so

April 4 2012, 6:02 AM 

I'm not sure how that all works. I know they do servicing for customers in the States and sending them back to the istributor in Australia seems to be a terribly long process last time someone I know did it.

I would be happy to send them into Badger for a full service.

I will ring them and see if they will do an O/S customer repair.

Respond to this message   
Li Choo
(Login an-dy)
HyperScale Forums

Airbrush advise servicing and alternatives

April 4 2012, 7:16 AM 

Hi Chris,
Should the cost and convenience of servicing your airbrush prove prohibitive, then try this Australian site. They are based in Canberra and provide after sales service of their branded airbrushes.

http://runway13.com/store/index.php?main_page=contact_us

Cheers

I said "Dart Gun", not a....
Gru - Despicable Me

This message has been edited by an-dy from IP address 114.76.195.125 on Apr 4, 2012 7:17 AM

Respond to this message   
Neil Howard
(Login NeilHoward)
HyperScale Forums

Badger service

April 4 2012, 7:38 AM 

I'm not quite so far away in the UK but I send mine to Badger for service in the USA. All they charge is return postage. Turnaround in a couple of weeks.

Respond to this message   
Frank
(Login floch1)
HyperScale Forums

Please consider the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity! See below:

April 4 2012, 9:13 AM 

Air Brush Thoughts!

Since I started building Plastic models 8 years ago (I've been building other types of models since I was 6 back in 1937), I have tried and used a number of Airbrushes. My first airbrush for plastic models was an Aztec 480 (the metal one). This worked very nicely for acrylics, enamels, Alclad , and other metalizers. However, I needed to have two of them, one to recycle to Testors for replacement every several months, and a back up to use while the other was being recycled! I thought that the Aztec was very easy to use and clean, and the nozzles very durable.

Next I tried an Iwata Eclipse. The one I had was a piece of junk as the very soft nozzles were frequently distorting and failing. I spent more on replacement nozzles than I did for the brush its self. I even once sent it back to Iwata, where they replaced the nozzle, only to have it fail again after a couple of spray sessions.

Next I tried two Badger 100s. One with the fine needle, and one with the medium needle. These were hard to control (for me) and difficult to clean.

Then I sprung for the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity. The best hobby tool investment I ever made. I use the top to side feed attachment with the glass jars. I clip 1/8" off the bottom of the feed tube so that "settling" metal flakes to not get sprayed. Having several glass jars, I can change colors quickly while spraying.

I have the following noz/needles -- 0.15, 0.20, 0.40, and the 0.60. I use the 0.20 for most Alclad work, and the 0.15 for fine work and shading. I use the 0.40 for Alclad over large areas when I think that will be a good idea. I also use the 0.40 for enamels and acrylics. I use the 0.60 for thickish primers. The noz/needles are polished stainless steel and very durable. It is the easiest brush I have tried for cleaning. I clean with acetone.

It is very easy to control even for a clutz handed old geezer like me. The dual action and and flow control button is a great feature.

I love this brush, and it has served me well for 4 years now!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters