<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

More on the T-33

April 4 2012 at 3:29 AM
Paul  (Login Paul1953)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 93.97.165.178

Having read with interest yesterday the review of the new Platz T 33, I took my knife to the Sword kit and made a start on it. I found in my references the 1970s Bunrin -Do publicatiopn on the T-33 and it has 1/72nd plans. How accurate they are I'm not sure but it does reveal that the tailplanes of the Sword kit are very much undersizedand quite 'pointy and tapered'!! (if the plans are to be believed). However the rest of the outline is very good to the drawings such as the wing outline and shape matching very well. But the fuselage appears to be around 2mm too long and it seems to start from where the angled panel on the nose forwards. This incorporates the nose wheel bay as well. The rest and at the rear end, is very good with the fin just about spot on.
My progress on the model about an hours work, so far, has been quite swift with not a lot of parts preparation with just some light sanding of the mating surfaces of the wings, fuselage and tip tanks.

If the Platz kit comes to the UK I may well try one too.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mark Davies
(Login kiwikitbasher)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the info Paul, interesting to know that the...

April 4 2012, 4:21 AM 

clean up and prep of the Sword kit is not too daunting. Interesting about the tail too.
Cheers,
Mark

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login Paul1953)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Thanks for the info Paul, interesting to know that the...

April 4 2012, 5:57 AM 

Could be that the drawing in the book is wrong having had another look. It looks to be wider towards the tip, a bit like the prototype P-80 maybe? But the kit part does look a bit odd. I'll check it against the Hasegawa kit.

Respond to this message   

Tommy H Thomason
(Login tailspinturtle)
HyperScale Forums

For What It's Worth

April 4 2012, 6:15 AM 

[linked image]

[linked image]]

These are from a Lockheed drawing provided for the Navy TO-2 Standard Aircraft Characteristics chart. Can't say how accurate they. This is an overlay of a couple of Lockheed P-80 drawings and my P-80A forward fuselage drawing that shows the inconsistency and outright error that may exist even in drawings created by the manufacturer:

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

bob in Maine
(Login gingerbob)
HyperScale Forums

Hey Tommy, while you're here-

April 4 2012, 6:33 AM 

can you (or anyone else) recommend a particularly good book about the period when the AAF was getting familiar with jets? Something along the lines of your Navy fighters book, for example. I don't need O-club "war stories", but I'd like to know what the real experience was- accident rates, lessons learned, lessons NOT learned yet, and so on. And, of course, development nitty gritty is welcome, too!

Thanks,
bob

Respond to this message   

Tommy H. Thomason
(Login tailspinturtle)
HyperScale Forums

Experimental & Prototype U.S. Air Force Jet Fighters

April 4 2012, 8:50 AM 

http://www.amazon.com/Experimental-Prototype-Force-Fighters-Specialty/dp/1580071112

However, I don't have it so I can't say for sure that it meets your requirement.

I don't know that I've ever seen a comparison of the services' accident rates or that they are directly comparable during that era. Certainly the Air Force had nothing as risky as operation to and from aircraft carriers, introducing a degree of difficulty difference for starters.

I'm pretty sure that the Air Force procurement agency was more receptive initially to jet fighter introduction than BuAer as a whole. My monograph on the F7U-1 will cover more of this, contrasting its development and early operational history with that of the F-86.

In my research and analysis for Naval Air Superiority, I found it interesting that in first 15 years or so of jet fighter development, the Navy and the Air Force both initiated about 24 jet fighter programs and 15 reached operational status. The reasons for the failures were similar. Up until the X-15, the services engaged in parallel research airplane programs and came up with basically the same lessons learned, ranging from the need for ejection seats and pressurization, the benefits and drawbacks of swept wings, design and system requirements for transonic and supersonic flight, etc.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login deMike)
HyperScale Forums

Aircraft losses

April 4 2012, 9:36 AM 

Bob,

Are these figures of interest?

[linked image]

[linked image]

Mike

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login Paul1953)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Aircraft losses

April 4 2012, 11:24 AM 

A touch of thread hi jacking going on here!!!!????

Respond to this message   

bob in Maine
(Login gingerbob)
HyperScale Forums

Yep, I confess- thanks for indulging me! (n/t)

April 4 2012, 12:14 PM 

Respond to this message   

bob in Maine
(Login gingerbob)
HyperScale Forums

They are indeed-

April 5 2012, 7:03 AM 

I've seen them before, but probably lost them when I switched computers, or rather software. Thanks!

bob

Respond to this message   
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

You can believe the numbers, not the outlines

April 4 2012, 8:09 AM 

That type of drawing is not meant to be a scale drawing with accurate contours. Even modern stuff from Boeing doesn't have accurate outlines on the station diagram drawings. Trusting them to be accurate is a mine field.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - More on the T-33
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters