<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How do you mask a ring in the middle of a nose cone?

April 8 2012 at 6:10 PM
Al Zaro  (Login zaro12)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 222.155.175.73

I'm building a Seafire 15, which has a white ring running around the centre of a black nose cone. A few years back I remember seeing an article on how to mask a ring on a nose cone, but I can't find it online now. From memory it showed how to cut the correct shaped mask.

Can anyone either point me to this article or give me some tips on how to mask a line around cone. The catch is it's a line about 1mm in diameter. The model is 1/72 scale.

Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

A nose ring? Nah, that probably wouldn't work very well...

April 8 2012, 6:35 PM 

A thin piece of masking tape carefully applied. There's no magic way to do it.

Respond to this message   

(Login Milton_Bell)
HyperScale Forums

You might try this.

April 8 2012, 7:10 PM 

Just to be sure you get the tape in the right place and straight, paint the spinner flat white and use a circle template choosing the opening that will fit where the line is supposed to be. Make sure the template is properly aligned and then trace a light pencil like where you want the tape. Now you have a guide for placing the tape.

Good luck.

MB

Respond to this message   

(Login RexTN)
HyperScale Forums

or do it like a bomb stripe

April 8 2012, 7:21 PM 

roll a tube of tape up, stick it on there, and paint your stripe color,,,,let dry, roll a 1mm larger tube, stick it on there, paint the "back" color

if you can find the right dowel, that will work for your first mask, then add tape to it to get your 1 mm larger diameter, then use it for your second mask

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

(Login alexlopez)
HyperScale Forums

Often mentioned faucet washers work particuarly for bomb stripes or WWII nose cones....

April 8 2012, 7:53 PM 

I generally mask to paint the larger end moving upwards progressively once dried. I use using Tamiya 1/8 wide tape since it's very flexible and friendly to concave masking such as jet noses. I always do this way..like for F-4E USAF noses,,,but it takes a bit of an artists eye that allows you to do this method while still being accurate.

Respond to this message   

(Login wing_nut55)
HyperScale Forums

Put the spinner on a prop...

April 8 2012, 7:55 PM 

... add a shift to the prop if it doesn't already have one. Depnding on the spinner you may not need the prop at all. Chuck it in a Dremel and get is spinning square. At a slow speed touch a fine point brush with a decent load of paint tot he spinner. With a steady hand it works great.

This was done with a wide brush and no prop

[linked image]

here;'s one in 144th done the same way.

[linked image]

Marc
http://wingnutmodels.com/

Respond to this message   

(Login IainMatheson)
HyperScale Forums

hrere's all you need

April 8 2012, 8:43 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login hawx)
HyperScale Forums

In a pretty big nutshell -- but that's it. n/t

April 8 2012, 9:45 PM 

Con-firmed! It's a cruel world, Herr Hauptman. You said so yourself.
--Bruno Stachel

Respond to this message   

(Login Kaibutsu)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Iain! ....... n/t

April 9 2012, 2:25 AM 

Kaibutsu

Respond to this message   

(Login zaro12)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for your help with this one...

April 8 2012, 9:55 PM 

Iain Matheson hit the nail on the head, that was the online article I was looking for. Everyone else, thanks for the suggestions also.

Regards,
Alan

Respond to this message   
George Oh
(Login RGeorgeO)
HyperScale Forums

Paint the item the colour of the ring, mask with

April 8 2012, 9:56 PM 

a snake of Blutack/silly putty/plasticine or a small rubber O-ring (expensive option) then spray the main colour.
The other options mentioned in other reply posts also work.
George, out............

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidByrden)
HyperScale Forums

It depends...

April 9 2012, 5:03 AM 

With a conical cone, a flat piece of tape will sit perfectly on it. All you need is to make a circular cut of the right radius.

But you have a compound curve and no piece of flat tape will conform perfectly. I haven't done this, but I would try cutting a hole in thin plastic sheeting, poking the spinner through it and using it as the mask. Repeat with a larger one to make the ring.

David

Respond to this message   
Richard
(Login RichardAigner)
HyperScale Forums

Get a thick book, an X-acto blade and mask the spinner

April 9 2012, 3:14 PM 

put book and spinner on a flat surface. Squeeze the blade at the desired height between the book-pages, cut the circle by rotating the spinner.
Hth, Richard

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How do you mask a ring in the middle of a nose cone?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters