<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question about Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang......

April 9 2012 at 11:41 AM
  (Login wpoeu)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.194.128.126

Hi there folks....
I need some help on something Mustang related. I'm building Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang. He was in the 357th FG, 362nd FS. What is distinctive about his plane was...for a short while, it was painted with HUGE yellow & red diamonds on the nose. Covering almost the entire front of the aircraft. However, here's my dilemma. I need to know...were the top of the wings of this particular plane painted olive drab, to match the top half of the fuselodge? Or...were they just left bare metal? Of course, if olive drab on top, then the theatre bands would be white. If not painted, then they'll of course be black. I've seen "artists rendererings" of Both styles. I've also looked all over the net. Including such sites as 8th Airforce groups "Little Friends." It seems like Most of the P-51's from this group had the top of the wings in olive drab. However, there are always exceptions due to various reasons.
Does anyone have a photo of this plane for proof, or know of where some info that is out there to show for certain?

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks in advance;

"Commodore" Murray
Cary, IL

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DHamel)
HyperScale Forums

It's OD or British Green according to...

April 9 2012, 1:21 PM 

text and pic found in the revised 'Yoxford Boys'.

Respond to this message   
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

Also note on that particular aircraft...

April 9 2012, 5:23 PM 

I don't think it ever flew an op with the giant diamonds. I seem to recall reading that in "The Yoxford Boys". It sure did look cool though!

Respond to this message   
"Commodore" Murray
(Login wpoeu)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Both for the info!! I really Do appreciate it!..........

April 9 2012, 8:28 PM 

By the way..it seems I'm going to Have to get that book the Yoksford Boys. Seems like there's lots of neat stuff in there for a Mustang fanatic.

Thanks again;

"Commodore" Murray
Cary, IL

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Question about Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang......
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters