<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What's the word on Trumpy's F9F-2 Panther...?

May 26 2012 at 2:30 AM

Steve Luce  (Login swluce)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 108.93.154.186

Always did like the airframe and started Hasegawa's 72nd scale kit ages ago. But I got out of the 72nd scale biz just short of ages ago. Now I only do AC in 48th and 32nd. The Trumpy stuff seems to be hit or miss and I was wondering whether their 48th scale Panther was a hit or a miss...?

TIA, Steve

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Neil Howard
(Login NeilHoward)
HyperScale Forums

Opinions tend to vary between two poles

May 26 2012, 4:10 AM 

When the kit was released, fans of the Panther were quite critical of the canopy shape, nose and the recessed rivets. The Monogram kit is quite well respected amongst Panther fans. I built both in a joint build, rescribing the Monogram kit which has raised detail. I did tone the Trumpeter rivets down with some Mr Surfacer. Fit of both was excellent. If I was to build another I would likely go for the Trumpeter one because a) no way could I build the Monogram one without losing the raised detail and b) rescribing took at least 20 sessions to get right. If I was more skilled at re scribing, I'd build the Monogram. End results can be seen in the IPMS Avon gallery section in September 2007 ( wow- didn't think it was that long ago!).

This message has been edited by NeilHoward from IP address 84.93.165.89 on May 26, 2012 4:11 AM

Respond to this message   
Ronald A
(Login RonCFI)
HyperScale Forums

I have the kit...

May 26 2012, 4:35 AM 

and I found it to be quite a let down, I'm not an expert on the subject but here's my list of glitches:
1.Wing tip tanks are rather small or under-scale..
2.The nose looks funny, it's quite different to the monogram kit
3.Panel lines on the fuselage are rather soft, combined with the over-scale rivet holes make the kit look a bit undefined.
4.The windscreen is horrible!! nicely molded and clear but the shape...mmm no no..
Most of this faults are correctable without much work IMHO, for example there's resin wingtip tanks from Lone star models, you can graft the monogram nose into the Trumpy without much trouble, the windscreen is something I haven't think about it ;P, and the panel lines and rivets are not that bad, a little rescribing and some Mr. surfacer might do the job. I know there's more things to tell about this kit, but the afore-mentioned things are the only ones I'll take care of, remember I'm not an expert but the fuselage looks either rounded or too fat to my eye, others may know more.
HTH
Ron

Respond to this message   

Kev C.
(Login kpc7676)
HyperScale Forums

I reckon it's ok

May 26 2012, 6:53 AM 

Looks nice in the box, so much so I am having a crack at one as my next build, planned scheme is as a Blue Angels a/c. I guess if you are not a stickler for accuracy, run with it, it certainly looks better in the box than the Monogram one, to me anyways.

Kev C from OZ

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

Also.........

May 26 2012, 7:25 AM 

........The trumpy kit is 8 scale inches too long. Trumpy did not remove the 8" fuselage plug that the later -4/5 Panthers got. Looks like they may have copied the length of the monogram fuselage which is a -5. Too bad they didn't copy the canopy as well.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

Respond to this message   

Snake
(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

If that's true...

May 26 2012, 9:49 AM 

...then one might be as well off chopping/converting a common Revellogram -5 to a -2/-3.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   
Mike West
(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

just modify the rudder

May 26 2012, 10:49 AM 

intakes, shorten the fuselage 8 inches.
Another thing different between the two kits is the fuselage on the Trumpeter kit is deeper in the main wheel wells than the Monogram kit is. Not too noticeable till you try and put a wheel bay made for the Monogram kit into a Trumpeter kit. The nose wheel bay on the Trumpeter kit is almost an exact copy of the Monogram parts. Wasn't there something wrong with the Trumpeter tip tanks too?

Respond to this message   
Pip Moss
(Login pnmoss)
HyperScale Forums

If you compare the Trumpeter fuselage with the Monogram,

May 26 2012, 12:21 PM 

you'll find that the Trumpeter is indeed shorter, and not too far away from the proper length. However, the air brake is still one panel line too far forward. It's not too obvious how Trumpeter got the fuselage to the length they did. It's not as simple as an 8-inch plug at one particular point.

IMHO, having built the Trumpeter kit, the windscreen/canopy is the most serious issue, followed by the (expletive deleted) rivets. I also found that one main gear strut sat noticeably longer than the other (by a couple of mm or so). Dunno if it was builder error or a glitch in the kit.

Pip Moss

Respond to this message   

Tony Bell
(Login threedingers)
HyperScale Forums

Canopy correction

May 26 2012, 11:54 AM 

To my eye, the biggest issue is the canopy shape (Monogram doesn't get it right, either - better than Trumpeter, but still not quite right). The cross section is off, and the bow frame is raked too far aft. Fortunately PJ Productions sells a vacuform replacement that is a good improvement:http://www.pj-production.net/product/481204-f9f-vacformed-canopy/

Cheers,
Tony

Respond to this message   
Brad Main
(Login BradinBC)
HyperScale Forums

Canopy Improvements

May 26 2012, 3:35 PM 

Hi Tony,

When you say that PJ's vac canopy is an improvement, does that mean it's not 100% correct either?

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Respond to this message   

Tony Bell
(Login threedingers)
HyperScale Forums

Can't say for sure...

May 27 2012, 1:13 AM 

...since I've not yet seen it first hand. I do think the profile of the PJ canopy looks good, but I can't comment on the cross section.

Cheers,
Tony

Respond to this message   
Joe Lyons
(Login jlyons97)
HyperScale Forums

Steve,

May 26 2012, 12:13 PM 

I've, mirabelle dictu, actually built the evil kit, albeit as a -2P

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

All the issues are clearly visible.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

Respond to this message   
bob norgren
(Login sierrascale)
HyperScale Forums

That's a beauty, Joe!

May 26 2012, 7:49 PM 

The folded wings are cool and why it has some advantage over a -2 conversion of the Monogram kit.

bob
sierrascale.

Respond to this message   
Joe Lyons
(Login jlyons97)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks, Bob

May 26 2012, 8:17 PM 

I wish I'd had the nerve to weather it.

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

Respond to this message   
bob norgren
(Login sierrascale)
HyperScale Forums

Know what you mean - my last attempt at weathering

May 26 2012, 8:49 PM 

"killed" the patient. So I stick with clean builds, and since I'm in a Nifty Fifties phase, it's working to my advantage.

I looked at Tony's link to the PJ canopy, but it didn't look much better. I may do my own in the Fall. I have a FH-1 to mold and may do a mold of canopy replacements.

bob
sierrascale

Respond to this message   
bob norgren
(Login sierrascale)
HyperScale Forums

Here's mine, just (mostly) finished last night -

May 26 2012, 12:22 PM 

The original canopy is pretty badly shaped, so I used the windscreen coaming, IP, windscreen and main canopy from a trashed Monogram kit. I think the windscreen coaming ended up too high, though.

Since you can pick up Monogram kits at shows for arount $10, they can supply a lot of parts for the Trumpeter kit. Overall, the Trumpeter kit is not bad, it has folding wings and is already scribed and is more or less, a -2. I have another in the stash and will use Monogram parts to correct it (though do a better job next time.)

Also used the gear, as the Monogram gear legs and tires looked better.

All the international orange is masked and painted; all lettering printed on the Alps, insignia from a Superscale Panther sheet. Serial is bogus, as I could not make it out on the photos. It had, like several others, a replacement main canopy from a glossy sea blue bird.

P1060423.RW2

and here's the Monogram -5P, rescribed with all black lettering printed on my laser printer.

P1060428.RW2

bob
sierrascale

This message has been edited by sierrascale from IP address 66.32.142.19 on May 26, 2012 12:25 PM

Respond to this message   
Roy A. Schlicht
(Login schlichtr)
HyperScale Forums

Those are some sharp looking Panthers Bob,

May 26 2012, 12:54 PM 

Great job.

Roy

Respond to this message   
bob norgren
(Login sierrascale)
HyperScale Forums

thanks, Roy! nt

May 26 2012, 3:47 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Steve Luce
(Login swluce)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for all the input gents...

May 26 2012, 12:57 PM 

Sounds like buying both and combining best parts may be the way to go. I know the windscreen on Trumpy's 32nd scale T-bolts is an abomination; framing is grossly off. On the other hand I hate to rescribe but that may become necessary if I use the Monogram kit as the primary. Too much of the rivet detail was lost on the Trumpy Bolts that I attempted so I finally went with the Hasegawa 32nd Scale Bolt instead. Watched Bridges at Toko-Ri again last night and was reminded what a nice looking airplane it was (aerodynamic aesthetics) especially in that overall gloss blue...

Thanks again, Steve

Respond to this message   

Scott Brown
(Login magnetass)
HyperScale Forums

Does it look like a pantherjet?

May 26 2012, 6:22 PM 

To me, because I love panther jets, of looks like a complete abomination ...with exactly no redeeming value whatsoever ...a true waste of innocent styrene plastic.

It's really up to you though.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters