<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Revell's 1/48 TBF Avenger

June 25 2012 at 8:49 AM
  (Login Dawes)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 63.237.125.2

This is a recent re-issue of what is evidently a very old kit. How does it hold up for overall accuracy?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Overall shape isn't too bad.

June 25 2012, 9:07 AM 

There's little if any detailing in the way of cockpit, gear wells, or engine, and unless they've redone the wheels a la their F4U-4 rework, the wheels are too thin, resembling black nickels.

Also be advised that the thing is undersized at about 1/50 (apparently, so Monogram could cram it into their standard size box). This might or might not matter to you but the size difference will be apparent if you put it on the shelf next to an Accurate Miniatures Avenger.

IMHO this model is best taken as a fun nostalgia build, not something to lavish major attention upon.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Im not sure its 1/50

June 25 2012, 10:13 AM 

As its bigger than the 1/50 Nichimo copy

Respond to this message   

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Well, last year...

June 25 2012, 10:49 AM 

...I measured both the Monogram and Lindberg Avengers against published specs for the real airplane. The Lindberg came in at 1/48 on the money and the Monogram came in at 1/50 on the money.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Not sure the Lindberg kit is that good of a bench mark

June 25 2012, 10:55 AM 

I know the canopy must be at least 1/40 scale in width. I would be curious to see how the Monogram kit compares to the Copy Boss and AM kits.

Respond to this message   

(Login Snake45)
HyperScale Forums

Didn't use the Lindberg kit as a "benchmark" for the Mono.

June 25 2012, 11:08 AM 

I measured both kits against the dimensions of the real thing.

The Lindberg canopy does look a bit oversized, but nowhere near 1/40 oversized.

Sat Cong!

Respond to this message   
PJ Hawkey
(Login hawx)
HyperScale Forums

It's a nice TBF-shaped toy as much as anything. n/t

June 25 2012, 9:20 AM 

Con-firmed! It's a cruel world, Herr Hauptman. You said so yourself.
--Bruno Stachel

Respond to this message   

(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

If you are looking for some fun, this is it. But as a model of an Avenger

June 25 2012, 9:21 AM 

spend the money and get AM or Italeri, whichever is cheaper. HB did one also.

If all the parts are in the Revell kit, it had folding wings and dropping torpedo. I built quite a few when I got back into modeling.

Photobucket [linked image]

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

This message has been edited by modeldad from IP address 71.245.227.142 on Jun 25, 2012 9:22 AM

Respond to this message   
tomcervo
(Login tomcervo)
HyperScale Forums

You can still drop that fish!

June 25 2012, 10:16 AM 

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-5259.pdf

It's all there. The decal sheet looks nice, but I doubt the Bush bird had as much personalizing as they give it here. Big mistake: They didn't include a GSB option for the younger set. One of the many smart things that 21st Century did was to always include an easier brush or rattlecan paint option.

Respond to this message   
JimB.
(Login jamesBer)
HyperScale Forums

Ah Memories, Original had retracting Landing Gear and moveable turret/gun as well. :) n/t

June 25 2012, 12:56 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Aeronautically_Challenged)
HyperScale Forums

What a shame that Hobbico et al would not reprint the awesome ORIGINAL manual...

June 25 2012, 3:49 PM 

Walmart's (oops I mean Hobbico's) copyright 2012 instruction manual for the Avenger is efficient, helpful, yada-yada, but... the 1960's original would make this ol' heart go pitta-patta (or howevvah they spellz it!).

Ya know... I just don't think these kit re-branders possess --nor will they truly "get"-- the nostalgia gene. It's either in your DNA, or it ain't.

Respond to this message   

(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

John, where in Boston?

June 25 2012, 3:55 PM 

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK

Respond to this message   

(Login Aeronautically_Challenged)
HyperScale Forums

'Dad, I'm near Boston College. Are you local nowadays? nt

June 25 2012, 4:08 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login modeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Wellesley, just off Rt. 9 then off Weston Rd. nt

June 25 2012, 4:39 PM 

BUY THIS BOOK

Respond to this message   

(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

It's not that bad of a kit....

June 25 2012, 12:29 PM 

...but as has been discussed, the kit's design is very dated. It was part of the first generation of Monogram's plastic aircraft kits, and back then, operating features were expected to make the kit more attractive to young boys. And all of us probably staged Pacific air battles in the backyard with this and the other kits.

I also agree with Snake, it's not quite 1/48, whether compared to plans, or compared to other, later Monogram kits that are accepted to be correct in 1/48. Even the figures are too small for 1/48.

And the original kit wheels are too thin, yes. They were the same wheels on Monogram's F6F kit, too.

But it's a fun build, especially for us old-time nostalgia builders, and it's a great opportunity to exercise your scratchbuilding skills. The interior calls for detailing, because so much of it is visible. And you can leave the rear door open, and detail the tail station.

If you're looking to buy it, though, you might want to look for a cheaper copy on the secondary market, eg, eBay or at shows. I have a couple of these in my stash, and I only buy them when I can get the kit for ten bucks or less.

The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   

(Login mo49)
HyperScale Forums

Medallion Models did a really nice update for this...

June 25 2012, 12:58 PM 

many years ago. It's worth locating if you decide to forgo the play features and want to get it a bit up to par with regards to details. I'm sure you could find one CHEAP here or on any other forum.

Later,

Lee

Respond to this message   
Al Grimm
(Login algrimm)
HyperScale Forums

That's what I used to make this . . .

June 25 2012, 1:44 PM 

way back in 1996, just before the Accurate Miniatures kit came out. A lot of work but a fun build. Yes, I know, the wheel wells should be white.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Regards,
Al Grimm
McCordsville, IN

Paddle faster, I hear banjo's.

Respond to this message   

(Login mo49)
HyperScale Forums

Superb work, Al!!! n/t

June 25 2012, 2:09 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login A5mobster)
HyperScale Forums

Al, I still recall that build like it was yesterday

June 25 2012, 8:24 PM 

Perhaps the best Monogram Avenger ever- it took builds of the Acc Min kit to eventually reach that level.

Cheers- former Indy NW sider.

Respond to this message   

(Login EdKeene)
HyperScale Forums

In 1958 it was the coolest thing I ever saw!

June 25 2012, 1:11 PM 

I bought one when I was 8 and still remember it. Monogram at that time.

Respond to this message   

(Select Login CSMO)
HyperScale Forums

O/K except for the useless and fragile wing hinges.

June 25 2012, 1:20 PM 

Monogram's Carrier Air Group models were cutting edge back in the late 1950s. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

Respond to this message   

(Login nametaken)
HyperScale Forums

What's it retail for now?

June 25 2012, 2:22 PM 

I just sold my Ghost Squdron issue along with the Nichimo copy for 5 bucks each. I was thrilled to get that. So what do the guys at Revell think it is worth these days. happy.gif

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

about $16

June 25 2012, 3:54 PM 

The nice thing with the current issues of all these kits is the good quality plastic and decals. The old brittle, translucent, navy blue and black plastic was just nasty.

Respond to this message   

(Login plasticslave)
HyperScale Forums

I have an SB2C of the same era,

June 25 2012, 4:35 PM 

and have no intention to build it. Any takers?

Respond to this message   

(Login mo49)
HyperScale Forums

Email sent....I'd like to get this for my oldest nephew n/t

June 25 2012, 10:58 PM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Darren_Roberts)
HyperScale Forums

Monogram NavAir

June 26 2012, 9:45 AM 

I did these for my presentation at the Omaha Nats. It was the most fun I've had building models in years. I just did the basics and tried to keep all the working features as much as possible.

[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Revell's 1/48 TBF Avenger
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters