<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cool A-3 paint scheme...

October 9 2012 at 3:08 PM

Andrew White  (Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 72.9.14.123

This was on the NMNA Facebook page today. I've never seen pics of one painted like this:

An RA-3B Skywarrior of Heavy Photographic Squadron (VAP) (VAP) 61 pictured on the ground in Agana, Guam, on October 9, 1969, forty-three years ago today. Standing in front of the aircraft are Photographer's Mate First Class R. Laurie, Lieutenant (junior grade) D. Schwikert and Lieutenant Commander Charles D. Litford. Arrayed in front of them are the array of cameras that the aircraft could carry on missions over Vietnam.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rapidroy
(Login RoyWiggs)
HyperScale Forums

Got pictures of the same bird.....

October 9 2012, 3:53 PM 

I was out there back then too, VW-1 "Typhoon Trackers"

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the nice big picture.

October 9 2012, 4:35 PM 

Now, where do I go to get the right side and top view?

Respond to this message   

Corey in Colorado
(Login cransom)
HyperScale Forums

Standing by for the Trumpeter 1/48 A-3!!!!

October 9 2012, 4:49 PM 

due out I think 1st quarter 2013!

hopefully....

This message has been edited by cransom from IP address 97.118.170.232 on Oct 9, 2012 4:50 PM

Respond to this message   

Don Fogal
(Login shogun66)
HyperScale Forums

I'm with you Corey...

October 9 2012, 5:14 PM 

... We'll see what happens after Dec. 21 wink.gif

[linked image] We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don

Respond to this message   
Kevin Garside
(Login he111z)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Standing by for the Trumpeter 1/48 A-3!!!!

October 9 2012, 7:11 PM 

You got that right!

Respond to this message   
TomB
(Login TBaldwin)
HyperScale Forums

Any conversion for this?

October 9 2012, 4:51 PM 

Could you use one of the Hasegawa A-3's to model the RA-3?

TIA
Tom

Respond to this message   
Norm Filer
(Login NormFiler)
HyperScale Forums

No, you cannot

October 9 2012, 8:23 PM 

The RA-3 is a lot different animal than a standard A-3.
For starters, almost everything from the radome to the back end of where the bomb bay would normally end is different. The entry hatch is located farther forward, the bomb bay is gone and replaced by a much shorter one for photo flash cartridges. The area between the entry hatch and the photo flash bays is full of camera ports and the big canoes on each side with the sliding camera doors is very noticeable, then there is a different canopy and while you cannot see much inside, the cockpit is quite different as well.
Somebody did a replacement insert a long time ago, but it really did not address all of the changes very well and did nothing for the canopy. While it is not my scale, if Trumpeter does an RA-3B I will have a hard time resisting.

This message has been edited by NormFiler from IP address 50.46.159.67 on Oct 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login ReccePhreak)
HyperScale Forums

n/t

October 9 2012, 8:53 PM 

This message has been edited by ReccePhreak from IP address 68.228.31.159 on Apr 12, 2013 6:30 PM

Respond to this message   
Norm Filer
(Login NormFiler)
HyperScale Forums

Larry, I don't know

October 9 2012, 11:13 PM 

I have never seen the CE one. I was talking about the one done in England, perhaps Paragon. I had one at one time but chose to do all the modifications myself when I did my RA-3B. There are some good schemes for the RA-3Bs, including the VAP-61 bird that prompted this conversation. There were at least two Whales that carried this scheme, Bu No.144831 that did not have the fairing on top of the vertical tail and Bu. NO. 144840 that did and also had the vertical tail leading edge painted Black. There was also at least one all gloss Black Whale in VAP-61.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login ReccePhreak)
HyperScale Forums

n/t

October 10 2012, 7:08 AM 

This message has been edited by ReccePhreak from IP address 68.228.31.159 on Apr 12, 2013 6:30 PM

Respond to this message   
Norm Filer
(Login NormFiler)
HyperScale Forums

CE parts

October 10 2012, 12:59 PM 

Looking at the photo, the CE parts are not much real help. The photo looks like all the different sets together. Very little would have been applicable to the RA-3B. The only things in the image that would help are the antenna on the top of the vertical fin (on some RAs) and the two canoes on the lower corners of the mid fuselage. Everything else is for EAs and EKAs. The whole middle fuselage and the bottom of the radome are much different. Here is a partial list RA-3B changes right off the top of my head;
*Camera view finder windows under the nose.
*Entry hatch moved forward to just behind the nose wheel well. The hatch is different.
*Seven flat camera windows and one oblique camera window on the underside.
*The canoes on the underside corners have sliding doors that cover the camera windows.
*The spoiler for the old bomb bay is gone.
*The bomb bay is gone.
*There are two smaller "photo flash" bays in the two front corners of the old bomb bay location.
*There is a round window in the fuselage side where the camera compartment is below and aft of the cockpit.
*Pilots station stays the same, the rest of the cockpit changes.
*Canopy is different.
This is just a starting list, and the TA-3s are another whole subject. Ginter's books are a great source of all the various Whales.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login ReccePhreak)
HyperScale Forums

n/t

October 10 2012, 1:01 PM 

This message has been edited by ReccePhreak from IP address 68.228.31.159 on Apr 12, 2013 6:31 PM

Respond to this message   
mike swinburne
(Login seiran01)
HyperScale Forums

nice! SEA Camo in faded pic or 3-tone gray like AP-2H? n/t

October 9 2012, 5:26 PM 

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

IIRC…

October 9 2012, 6:19 PM 

It's the latter scheme. Not SEA USAF-type camo.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992

Respond to this message   
Carl Sisco
(Login RedtailFan)
HyperScale Forums

Westinghouse Radar division at BWI Airport in Baltimore, MD

October 9 2012, 10:36 PM 

Has an or had a flight worthy Skywarrior in the late 80's when I used to work as a refueler for Henson Aviation. They used it to test the F-16 Radars. The A3 had an F-16 nose grafted on to it! I actually got to get a look inside and sit in the cockpit once after refueling it!

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

Now Northrop Grumman n/t

October 10 2012, 12:37 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters