<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Problems with painting canopies

June 27 2013 at 4:26 PM
Michael  (Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 178.196.245.233

Hi guys,

I am a newbee and currently work on my Tamiya 1/48 P-51B.

I have issues with painting the canopy. I use Tamiya tape to mask it off and paint with brushes and Tamiya colors. The main problems are that I sometimes get paint where it shouldn't be and that by often touching and the often usage of the tape is affecting the clearness of the canopy as well as removing the color I already applied.

Any help abour how this can be made better is appreciated

Thanks,

Michael

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Craig (in Daytona) Abrahamson
(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

Painting canopy frames is a nemesis for many of us....

June 27 2013, 4:47 PM 

Ideally, using pre-cut canopy masks is the best solution (although not always feasible, depending on ones' financial status and availability issue).
Short of that method, the use of the thin Tamiya 'yellow' tape is a popular alternative. Subsequent to the application of tape to the entire canopy frame (including the INSIDE), it'd probably be better to spray the desired color rather than brush it - less chance to alleviate the dreaded "bleed-under" woes.
Some folks use a liquid mask to accomplish the task. Personally, I don't like it (haven't had much luck doing it that way).
Aluminum foil is another way to cover the glass between the frame members. Small pieces applied with a toothpick, followed by a new No. 11 blade to trim the excess..tedious, but effective.
Others may have different techniques - these are but a few I thought of off the top of my head. Hope I gave ya a couple of ideas to try. Good luck.

[linked image]
It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

This message has been edited by craigindaytona from IP address 108.94.97.203 on Jun 28, 2013 1:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Hey Craig - thanks a lot for your detailed explanation - that helps. Cheers, Michael

June 28 2013, 5:29 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login dMichou)
HyperScale Forums

Not a reply but another question

June 27 2013, 4:57 PM 

Michael, some weeks back you mentioned Tamiya AS paints in spray cans. Where in Switzerland have you found this paint as it has been over 10 years since I last saw it in a shop?

Mike

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Tamiya AS sprays

June 27 2013, 6:12 PM 

Hi Mike,

You are right - I did talk about them.

In Switzerland they not seem to be available. I get them from CMC-Versand, a German company (www.cmc-versand.de). Just search with the respective AS no. (i.e. AS-12) in the search field. Prices are more or less like other Tamiya spray cans - Euro 10.-.

They deliver in reasonable time. Just be sure they have on stock what you want. Otherwise it might take too long. I am still waiting for my AS-8 Navy Blue without which I can't finish my P-47M which is already partially painted.,,

But otherwise I can only say positive things about that company.

Are you living in Switzerland too?

Cheers,
Michael

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login dMichou)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the tip...

June 28 2013, 3:04 AM 

Thanks for the tip concerning CMC Versand, and, yes, I am in Switzerland. I came here in 1972 (on a one year contract!) and have been here ever since.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Cool....

June 28 2013, 5:28 AM 

which part of Switzerland are you living in? I myself live near Zürich - in Wallisellen - close to the airport.

Nice to see some people from Switzerland at Hyperscale.

Hope you get your AS sprays there.

Cheers,
Michael

Respond to this message   

bill wilson
(Login billw261)
HyperScale Forums

Years ago I did all my canopies with a

June 27 2013, 5:25 PM 

brush and no masking. I could easily rub off any mistakes with the point of a wooden toothpick (using enamel paint btw). Painting the canopy frames was always the very last thing I did, and would install it on the model as soon as it was painted to avoid a lot of handling. Today I mask and spray, but still leave it till last thing in the build (after painting, decaling, etc.).

BW

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Bill - sounds like practicing is important...Cheers, Michael

June 28 2013, 5:26 AM 

Respond to this message   

Philip
(Login iluvflying)
HyperScale Forums

Be sure to wash your clear parts before painting with detergent. Removes release agent

June 27 2013, 5:31 PM 

and allows paint to stick better.

Philip & Maximilian
Head of Ranch Security, Song Dog, Texas

Where has all the music gone?

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Phil - didn't do that before...

June 28 2013, 5:23 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jolor
(Login jolor)
HyperScale Forums

After masking

June 27 2013, 6:15 PM 

paint a coat of future on the whole canopy. That will seal the tape. When the paint dries run a new #11 blade around the frames before you remove the mask. You will get sharp clean lines.

You can't spend your way out of poverty and you can't spend your way into prosperity

Respond to this message   
Li Choo
(Login an-dy)
HyperScale Forums

I use Avery Labels for frames

June 27 2013, 7:17 PM 

I airbrush the base colour to the paper based label then cut strips then apply to the canopy.
After that, I paint Future to the clear areas to seal up the stuck on strip

[linked image]

Cheers

"Good Luck Captain, I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before"

Susan Ivanova - Babylon 5
'Voices of Authority'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR6wHU8wWfk

Respond to this message   

Andrew Gaitan
(Login Kaibutsu)
HyperScale Forums

Li, that looks pretty good...

June 27 2013, 7:30 PM 

I'll have to give that a try. Thank you for that tip!

Andrew

Kaibutsu

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Great Li - thanks. Can you tell me more about what you use exactly?

June 28 2013, 5:23 AM 

Your results look excellent.

What is it that you use? Avery Lables doesn't say a lot to me...

Thanks & regards,
Michael

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login dMichou)
HyperScale Forums

Avery labels

June 28 2013, 6:47 AM 

These are adhesive labels on a backing which enable you to print the text with your computer. They come in all shapes and sizes. Try Office World in Switzerland.

As for me, 30 plus years in Geneva and now some 8km north of Bern where I am still struggling to decipher this dialect of Hochalemannisch!

Mike

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login WildeSau75)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Mike...

June 28 2013, 5:36 PM 

gone have a look at Office World.

So, you moved to the German speaking part of Switzerland - cool. Yeap, "Bernish" isn´t that easy to learn I guess. But honestely no Swiss German dialect is easy to understand fully and to speak of actually talking it properly.

Did you come from the USA? What make you coming and staying?

Hope you like it...

Thanks and cheers,
Michael

Respond to this message   
Ron
(Login Fixair)
HyperScale Forums

It is the only aspect of aircraft modelling I dislike but.............

June 28 2013, 6:00 AM 

I follow this process.

I complete all interior work.

I make sure there is absolutely no speck of dust inside before fixing the transparencies I have dipped in future. (Dust will stick inside them with static.)

I cut Tamiya tape into very thin strips by putting it on a sheet of glass and cutting it with a new blade.

The transparency framing is masked and edges smoothed down using a tooth pick and then the clear areas masked with Copydex (latex glue) applied with a small brush.

I then spray the interior frame colour.

I then spray the camou colour.

I remove the masking as one of the last jobs.

If at all possible I do all the work before fixing the glazing as in the case of sliding canopies and turret tops.

It is never perfect. I do not know how people can get theirs to look so good. Even with pre cut masks.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters