<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

F4U-1 cowl flaps

July 9 2013 at 5:33 AM
Dave Williams  (Login dwill104)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 98.77.43.244

Did the F4U-1 Birdcage use the solid panel in place of the upper cowl flaps? I understand why the upper cowl flaps on the Corsair were deleted, but I thought later F4U-1s just had the upper cowl flaps locked closed (i.e. they were still there, but never opened) and the solid panel only started to appear on later versions (the -1A or later).

The 1/32 Tamiya kit doesn't seem to give you the option of the upper cowl flaps closed with the remainder open. The options are full cowl all open, full cowl all close, and cowl solid upper panel with the other flaps open or closed. TIA.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dan DeSilva
(Login dandesilva)
HyperScale Forums

panel instead of flaps was a later adjustment/modification

July 9 2013, 8:49 AM 

I remember reading longgg ago that there was an issue with oil spray on the windscren with the circumferential cowl flaps, which led to the deletion of the top most set of cowl flaps from the 1A on in production.

I beleive what I read said that on the F4U-1 it was a feild mod, not sure if later airframes in the production run were modified in the factory or at re-work facilities.

From what I have seen of the sprue shots, if there is no srcibing on the bridge panel, you could always scribe lines to simulate disabled cowl flaps.

I think though, that with the way the cabling works to open/close the flaps, that you could not simply disable the individual top ones anyway, so I would make an assumption that in the feild, the cabling was rerouted somehow, and a panel riveted or welded in place- I read a history of VF-17 where it was noted how a Vought rep was either on hand at times or flown in to advise on mods/problems- so maybe all upper cowl flaps on the -1 were done i the feild?.

I hope some corsair experts will chime in about this- very interesting.
Dan.

Respond to this message   

Gary Fairfull
(Login G.Fairfull)
HyperScale Forums

Correct!

July 9 2013, 1:45 PM 

The oil on the windscreen was the reason for the new design.

Respond to this message   

Steven ''Modeldad'' Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

I have pictures of Birdcage Corsairs where flaps all open and top closed.

July 9 2013, 9:24 AM 

It is possible that there was a filed modification to either permanently shut the top flaps or replace then with sheet metal. It seems the flaps full around continued into what we call the "-1A" production.

Open:

[linked image]~original

[linked image]~original

Closed:

[linked image]~original

[linked image]~original

[linked image] [linked image]

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

I've realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

Respond to this message   
David Hansen
(Login HanmanRA5)
HyperScale Forums

Not sure how much rhyme or reason there was to this....

July 9 2013, 12:24 PM 

Everything posted up to this point is accurate. I know the original F4U arrangement used individual hydraulic actuators for each cowl flap (Vought being too clever by half...again) but when the decision was made to deactivate the upper cowl flap and batten it down, the switch was made to a rather elaborate system of cables and pulleys that opened and closed the things.

I have seen FG-1As and FAA Corsairs with the Blown hoods sporting the wrap around cowl flaps, so its not a phenomenon limited solely to the Birdcage F4Us. I also noticed a mix of wrap around and non-wrap-around cowl flaps on the Marine F4U-2s as well.

It may also be that Vought, Brewster, and Goodyear approached this problem in different ways, and incorporated the "fix" at different times.

It's a cop-out but, "Consult photographs of your actual subject aircraft".

david

Respond to this message   
don fenton
(Login chipsnsalsa)
HyperScale Forums

F4U-1 cowl flaps.......

July 9 2013, 12:27 PM 

Hi Dave,

The F4U-1 originally had 18 individual hydraulic cylinders to actuate the cowl flaps. The cowl flap actuation system was redesigned to eliminate the individual actuators and replaced the 18 with one. The system then used a cable attached to the hydraulic cylinder to open and close the cowl flaps. Installation of the new system was done as available, hence some aircraft, including early production F4U-1A's (see VF-17) had the all around cowl flaps. Interim modifications were performed to permanently close the upper three flaps until the new system was available for installation. The F4U-1 "Dash 3" identifies three versions:

Condition 1 - The top three cowl flaps were simply battened down.

Condition 2 - "required the replacement of the top three flaps with an .064 ga. pan." The detail drawing shows the installation of the guide pulleys for the later cable actuation system.

Condition 3 - "Dead Cowl Flap" The installation of the permanent skin and integral channels with rear Dzuz screws as provided in the Tamiya 1/48 kits. I have no idea what the 1/32 kit has.

Don

x

Respond to this message   
David Hansen
(Login HanmanRA5)
HyperScale Forums

Care to speculate what the cockpit interior colour was on a late build Brewster F3A-1A?

July 9 2013, 1:25 PM 

Logic would suggest it was interior green, but i always wondered if Brewster used a slightly different shade of green than 34151. I know the last ones probably rolled out the door in late summer/ early fall of 1944.

-d-

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login chipsnsalsa)
HyperScale Forums

No. Hopefully Dana's book will discuss the Brewster Corsair story. n/t

July 9 2013, 8:30 PM 

n/t

x

Respond to this message   

Gary Fairfull
(Login G.Fairfull)
HyperScale Forums

Of course the -1 had operating cowl flaps at the top

July 9 2013, 1:50 PM 

The problem with oil on the windscreen was found only after the Corsair went into service. Once the technical order was published the Corsair's built with those cowl flaps were field modified to the locked position.

Respond to this message   
don fenton
(Login chipsnsalsa)
HyperScale Forums

Earlier than service use........

July 9 2013, 8:42 PM 

Hi Gary,

According to Boone Guyton, the Vought test pilot for the F4U-1, the oil splatter on the windscreen occurred on the first test flight of the production F4U-1 in June, 1942. This was months before service use of the aircraft. Ref. "Whistling Death: The Test Pilot's Story of the F4U Corsair"

Don

x

Respond to this message   

Gary Fairfull
(Login G.Fairfull)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, I was aware of that.

July 14 2013, 1:48 PM 

But it still made it to the production line. It took time for the changes to be approved and even more time for the re-design.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters