<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Battle of Britain movie question

June 12 2014 at 3:10 PM
Mike West  (Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 75.90.83.229

In the early scenes when the German Inspector General is making his rounds. he stops in to have a meal with a group of pilots. One named Falke is wearing a white jacket. What was the significance of this ? Just a dress uniform?

Watched it last night again. Still a great movie. It must have been fun to be one of the pilots filming it and getting to fly such cool aircraft.
M

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

John Vasco
(Login JohnVasco)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Battle of Britain movie question

June 12 2014, 3:24 PM 

Yes, summer dress uniform.

Not a single Messerschmitt Bf 110 in the film... Still, it WAS made in the 1960s.

Respond to this message   

Brad
(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

Roger that, summer uniform

June 12 2014, 3:30 PM 

The Army as well as the Luftwaffe had a lightweight summer tunic, made of linen, if I remember correctly. It was an older tradition, going back to the Imperial and Prussian armies. The Prussian winter uniform included dark blue, almost black trousers for the winter, and light, white linen trousers in summer.
The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   
Mike West
(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

True but they did agood job

June 12 2014, 5:40 PM 

with the Stukas. No Dorniers or Junkers 88s either

Respond to this message   

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

No, you mean Dave Platt did a good job with the Stukas

June 12 2014, 10:43 PM 

Respond to this message   

Giampiero Silvestri
(Login GiampieroSilvestri)
HyperScale Forums

The white jacket was worn by the Geschwaderkommodore

June 12 2014, 5:07 PM 

Saluti

Giampiero

Respond to this message   
halsr
(Login halsr)
HyperScale Forums

The white uniform tunic

June 12 2014, 7:34 PM 

was acceptable summer wear for all ranks. There was also a white cover to the visored hat (Schirrmutz) that was very often worn, even with the blue/gray uniform. You'll frequently see the white hat in use with the tropical tan uniform. There was not a tan cover for the visored hat.
Hal

Respond to this message   
JMehner
(Login Jens_O_Mehner)
HyperScale Forums

All true, but it is Schirmm├╝tze. HTH n/m

June 13 2014, 4:01 AM 

Respond to this message   
halsr
(Login halsr)
HyperScale Forums

Please pardon my spelling

June 13 2014, 11:12 AM 

Also, I don't have umpauts on my keyboard. halsr

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login vacman)
HyperScale Forums

If my memory serves me right. The charecter Falcke was based on

June 12 2014, 6:12 PM 

Adolph Galland. Galland himself was one of the advisors of the film. Late in the film he is even shown speaking Galland's famous quote. "Give me a Squadron of Spitfires" It was his suggetion that they go to Spain to find the HE 111's and 109's. The Stuka's were supposedly 3/4 scale radio control aircraft. Very effectively done.
Jerry from Maumee Ohio
vacu form freak

The only reason you need a parachute while sky diving is to assure that you can make a second jump.

Respond to this message   
Jaime Longo
(Login 6thccu)
HyperScale Forums

"The Making of The Battle of Britain Film" 1969

June 12 2014, 6:30 PM 

I have a 50 min documentary made during the filming narrated by Michael Caine thats rather good, I looked and its been upped on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxKL9FGkEo

Enjoy,

Respond to this message   
Shuey, William
(Login Williamshuey)
HyperScale Forums

June 12 2014, 8:19 PM 

My God!! Was it that long ago??

Bill Shuey
who is feeling his age!

Respond to this message   
Bob O'Connor
(Login FAAFAN)
HyperScale Forums

Re: 1969.....

June 13 2014, 2:50 PM 

I was in high school at RAF Lakenheath, and remember the sky being filled with action overhead as they filmed it. They were too high to see details, but I was thrilled to see the movie when it was released, knowing I had watched the remaking of such history!!! Never saw the actual participant planes up close, but I saw the B-25 camera plane used. Awesome.
Bob O'Connor

"Eternal Vigilance is the price of liberty"
Wendell Phillips

Respond to this message   
Shuey, William
(Login Williamshuey)
HyperScale Forums

Similar experience.....

June 13 2014, 4:12 PM 

A friend of mine whose Father was in the U.S. Navy tells of living near Pearl Harbor back in the 60's. One afternoon she is in the back yard hanging up laundry when she hears the sound of a lot of engines. She turns around and here comes a flock of prop driven aircraft, all with big red "meatballs" on them.
Her first reaction was "Oh Hell! Not again"!
Of course, it was aircraft from the movie company making "Tora, Tora, Tora"! But not all the civilians had been warned.

Respond to this message   
Dave Fleming
(Login Davef68)
HyperScale Forums

The Stukas were models, but they originally looked at converted Percival Proctors

June 13 2014, 6:28 AM 

Although it was never used in the film, one was made!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Terry(who should be working on models)
(Login braincells37)
HyperScale Forums

They called it Proctuka

June 13 2014, 12:48 PM 

They found it easier to use the models.
[linked image]

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

Respond to this message   

Charles Whall
(Login charlie19)
HyperScale Forums

The 'Proctuka' as it was fondly known...

June 13 2014, 8:23 AM 

Respond to this message   

Eric F.
(Login Yankymodeler)
HyperScale Forums

One of my all time favorite movies!

June 12 2014, 8:42 PM 

A month ago I finally finished a boyhood dream of a series of models of the aircraft used to film BoB

Respond to this message   

Terry(who should be working on models)
(Login braincells37)
HyperScale Forums

And then there was the camera plane

June 13 2014, 12:52 PM 

photo e53f5804.jpg
Psychedelic Monster
[linked image]

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

Respond to this message   
Roger Cockburn
(Login Hon.JohnByng)
HyperScale Forums

Also white trousers

June 13 2014, 1:23 PM 

There is a pic of Karl Valesi in John Vasco's Erprobungsgruppe 210 book wearing the full summer uniform.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters