<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Warbird flights

March 19 2017 at 6:57 PM

Charles Rullmann  (Login chazrull)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 70.178.109.75

The Collings Foundation is flying their B-17, B-24 and B-25 into my area in a couple of weeks. I want to do a flight and I'm torn which aircraft to choose so....

Which would you pick?

And no i can't do all three or i'll end up having to buy new living room and bedroom furniture to even things out.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Craig in Daytona
(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

Tough choice....I think you'll get a better sense of the experience in the -

March 19 2017, 7:17 PM 

B-25 (and a better view for pitcher-takin'). On the other hand, 4 engines are better than only two. sad.gif My .02
[linked image]

This message has been edited by craigindaytona from IP address 108.240.195.93 on Mar 20, 2017 12:56 AM

Respond to this message   
boarshead44
(Login boarshead44)
HyperScale Forums

Heard B-25's are bad on your hearing...

March 19 2017, 11:45 PM 

Friend of mine said you could always tell a B-25 pilot because he TALKED LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME!

Respond to this message   

Jimbo
(Login jimmbbo)
HyperScale Forums

Had a first officer who flew an airshow B25 on off days, said he needed ear plugs AND

March 20 2017, 12:17 AM 

a Bose noise cancelling headset...
After decades of study, it has become obvious that Murphy was an optimist...

This message has been edited by jimmbbo from IP address 107.210.8.143 on Mar 20, 2017 12:18 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, in a B-25, you are right between the props, and that.....

March 20 2017, 6:03 PM 

is not where you want to be if you desire to be able to hear much of anything later.....happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low-# Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

After a flight in a Bamboo Bomber, I'm surprised any WW II multi-engine pilot trainee…

March 20 2017, 11:47 PM 

… had any hearing left. Without noise-reducing headsets, conversation would have been impossible. You're sitting less than 6 feet from a 7-cylinder radial engine.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

I'm not really a pompous ass … I just play one on Hyperscale!

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
HyperScale Forums

Depends on whether or not Caroline is still flying the B-24.....

March 20 2017, 6:06 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   

bob
(Login he280)
HyperScale Forums

I went in the B-17, but the 25 would be good too...if I had real money I would take

March 19 2017, 7:31 PM 

the P-51 flight where you get to actually fly the plane.

Respond to this message   

Craig in Daytona
(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

I wanted to do that, too (pics)....then I found out how much: $3,000 for an hour flight -

March 19 2017, 11:13 PM 

SO....instead, I went down the tarmac a hundred yards and went into www.warbirdadventures.com and took their T-6 ride ($400/hr with stick time - I see now the price has doubled). Loved it so much, I went back a few months later and did it again - in a different T-6 (see my avatar). And again a few months after that - in yet another T-6 (they have 4 - or they did then). I think I may owe myself one more ride. However, after checking the Mustang's website www.stallion51.com I can only assume their price has increased substantially as well - [linked image]
I notice they don't post the amount on the site any longer..guess I need a winning lottery ticket now - sigh. [linked image]happy.gif
[linked image]

This message has been edited by craigindaytona from IP address 108.240.195.93 on Mar 20, 2017 2:38 AM

Respond to this message   
Charlie D
(Login cdunton)
HyperScale Forums

B-24 if I had to choose

March 19 2017, 7:31 PM 

I did the B-24 with my Dad years ago, and here's why we choose the B-24. It's only one of 2 flying, and the CAF plane doesn't tour the whole country. There are what, 12 B-17s flying?, and more opportunities down the line to fly in one of those.

During the flight, you can travel the whole aircraft (or at least you could a few years ago, don't know if it has changed). We sat in the waist area for take off and landing, but once airborne, were able to go nose to tail. I don't think you can do that in the B-25, not sure about the B-17.

I figure if god forbid the B-24 is ever grounded, or crashes, at least I had the opportunity to fly in one.

If I might make another suggestion. Enjoy the flight, don't live it through your camera. I took a number of pics, and then put my camera away, and lived the experience through my eyes, not through my camera. I couldn't believe the number of guys on the flight that spent the whole time filming through their camera, rather than looking around and taking it all in...

I highly recommend it though, it was quite the experience.

Charlie

This message has been edited by cdunton from IP address 73.223.225.66 on Mar 19, 2017 7:35 PM

Respond to this message   

bob
(Login he280)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, in the B-17 you get to walk throughout the plane, except for the tail gun...

March 19 2017, 7:33 PM 

This message has been edited by he280 from IP address 76.176.119.190 on Mar 19, 2017 7:33 PM

Respond to this message   

Ron Cline
(Login roncline)
HyperScale Forums

I've gone up in both the B-17 and B24...

March 19 2017, 8:36 PM 

I did the B-17 one day, and the B24 the next day. Both flights were well worth the money.

In the B-17 you're free to roam the aircraft (after takeoff) from the waist area to the nose compartment, and on the B-24 you can go from the tail turret (you can't climb into it, but you can look thru it from the access door) up to the nose compartment (and you can't get into the nose turret either). The B-17 has the better viewing experience in the nose compartment, due to the large nose bubble, while the B-24's view from the nose is limited by the turret; the view thru the bombardier's window is downward.

The B-24 has the better experience in the waist section due to it's open waist windows. Neither plane allows access to the ball turret. The B-17 has the open hatch in the radio compartment roof.

The B-17's bomb bay is a shorter crossing than the B-24's. The crossing of the B-24's bomb bay is also somewhat tighter, so if you're a big guy...

Expect to do some crawling to get into either nose compartment. The B-17 is a bit easier; it's a short crawl under the cockpit. The B-24 is a longer, tighter crawl under the cockpit; on the way you'll pass the nose gear which isn't divided from the rest of the interior by any walls.

Some people wear earplugs during the flights; I didn't as wanted to experience that wonderful, glorious radial engine music uninhibited. They aren't really that loud. The B-25 is said to be extremely loud inside, so that one may be earplug worthy; hopefully I'll find out firsthand someday.

As already mentioned by Charlie D. the B-24 is the rarer of the two, so flight opportunities in one are also rarer. Whichever plane you choose, soak up every bit of the experience. It will give you even more respect for the guys that went to war in them.

Respond to this message   

Chris Causey
(Login cwc11)
HyperScale Forums

I vote for the B-24, it is a sexy aircraft and would be pretty cool to ride in.

March 19 2017, 9:28 PM 

Respond to this message   

Gary Wiley
(Login wiley2770)
HyperScale Forums

If it were me I'd start pricing new furniture. :) Then I'd...

March 19 2017, 10:30 PM 

fly them all. If furniture is out of the question, then I'd personally pick the B-17 as it's one of my favorites. However I agree that the B-24 inventory is very limited so that may be a good reason to choose it.

GW

Respond to this message   

Craig in Daytona
(Login craigindaytona)
HyperScale Forums

Well...whichever one ya choose, we expect pics! Have a great time! nt

March 19 2017, 10:50 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Bill Nix
(Login reichswalder)
HyperScale Forums

Saving my pennies for the two seat ME-262 or the Bf-109G-12!

March 19 2017, 11:32 PM 

Gentlemen;

I just hope I live long enough for one of them to start taking paying customers up: my 60th birthday is coming up this Oktober!

The Collings Foundation has one of the me-262 replicas and I think the Virginia Beach museum got the 109G-12 that was finished up in Germany last year.

I don't care what it costs, I have to do it before I die ! Hopefully they are getting the paperwork straightened out with the FAA and one or both of them will one day start taking paying customers up for the thrill of a lifetime.

Bill Nix
Washingtonstaat, U.S.

Respond to this message   

ReneDK
(Login ReneDK)
HyperScale Forums

The B24 as it's easier to move around and get pics

March 20 2017, 3:21 AM 

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

I wonder if they'll offer flights in the P-61. That's what I'm saving for! nt.

March 20 2017, 8:12 AM 

Respond to this message   

Brad
(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

If you mean the MAAM's P-61, they have to finish restoring it first

March 20 2017, 12:33 PM 

You can see the latest info on the project here: http://www.maam.org/p61.html

For the past couple of years, they've been stuck at the point of having the central pod, wings and engine booms assembled. The aircraft has been on display under a pavillion at the annual World War II Weekend at the museum. It's been pretty cool to look at, and I've taken lots of photos. But now they're at the stage of restoring or replacing a lot of smaller bits and pieces, and doing that manually, and it's taking longer than projected.

But I agree--it would be very cool to go up in the P-61 and see what things look like.

I'd like to ride on the large bombers, too, but I would really like to ride along in the Avenger. I've been going to the WWII Weekend for about 10 years or so, and though they fly the Avenger in the re-enactments, they haven't taken any passengers up, as far as I know. The last time I built a model of one, I really wanted to see what the view was like from within an Avenger.
The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

B-24...

March 20 2017, 8:17 AM 

Just because right now it's the only one in flying condition (?).

Either one will be an awesome experience. I got a freebie flight in the EAA's B-17 a few years ago and it was nothing short of amazing. I had a few hundred hours in Navy aircraft at the time...but when they put the throttles to that baby and released the brakes it was like nothing I'd ever experienced! The sound is incredible...and once up cruising along, you can forget that low groaning engine sound and carrying on of casual conversation we all see "in the movies", hand gestures and hollering back and forth is the means of communication if off ICS. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters