<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Erickson Aircraft Collection Bf-109G-10 soon to take flight ...

March 19 2017 at 9:12 PM
Mark Allen M  (Login MarkAllenM)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 47.142.199.96

This is a post from John Terrell over on the WIX forum. Some of you may find it interesting.

"For those that don't go on Facebook, here is a video just posted by the Erickson Aircraft Collection of their '109, now completed and undergoing initial engine runs:

The direct link to the Bf-109 won't load properly so just click on the video you see of the 109.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/eacmadras/videos/?ref=page_internal

As posted earlier in this thread, the airframe itself is from a Buchon, but it has been modified to the appearance of a Bf-109G-10, with the G-10 type tail and late "Galland canopy", and a very authentic cockpit. Incredibly ingenious, the aircraft is fitted with an Allison V-1710 engine (cheaper and easier to operate in the long run, than a DB605), which is mounted and configured in such a way that the look of the aircraft remains stock Bf-109G, with the exhaust routed out the same locations as a stock DB605 installation, the same thrust-line/prop mounting location as the DB605 installation, and with the cowlings remaining stock - when all buttoned-up, one won't know that it has anything other than a DB605 under the hood, save for a bit of difference in sound. As seen, the aircraft is painted in the colorful markings of Herman Graf."

So I'm assuming it's going to look like the artwork in the link? What a beauty.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/galleries/bf109g6grafartworkyn_1.htm

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

Looks like a lovely restoration

March 19 2017, 10:11 PM 

... but other than Graf's G-6 I only know of a K-4 that carried the red tulip. Personally, I'd have rather seen this one painted up like Hunsdorfer's "Lumpi" or something.

Respond to this message   

Lynn
(Login lmritger)
HyperScale Forums

I've corresponded with the folks working on the restoration...

March 20 2017, 7:11 AM 

The owner is the same guy who bought "Chuckie", added an 80s-era Miami Vice style airbrushed model on the front and slapped his own initials on it rather than use any of the proper squadron codes from the 381st BG which the aircraft is ostensibly painted to represent. So suffice it to say that historical accuracy isn't exactly at the top of the owner's list.

However, that should in no way detract from the absolutely superb quality of the engineering work performed to mount the Allison 1710 into this Buchon, and the fit and finish of the airframe work. The restorers are contractually obligated to honor the request of the actual owner, so that's what they did.

I'm most interested to hear how it performs with the Allison; that's a unique solution to achieving the prototypical look of the wartime 109 without the expense of finding, restoring, and maintaining an original DB 605. If this works well, I would expect other Buchon owners to at least start considering it.

Cheers,

Lynn
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Respond to this message   

Milos Gazdic
(Login MiskoPisko)
HyperScale Forums

and then...

March 20 2017, 10:36 AM 

we buy a small piece of plastic and try to make it as real as possible sad.gif We're such losers! happy.gif From now on all my 190s will have GM or MG on them!

Respond to this message   

erik whipple
(Login tatzelwurm109)
HyperScale Forums

It certainly looks great

March 20 2017, 12:41 PM 

... but those among us who've heard the roar of a real Daimler Benz 600 series engine will know the difference. It'll be awesome to see another G-10 in flight even with an Allison, even if it might just as well be marked in a Hello Kitty scheme.

Respond to this message   
Mark Allen M
(Login MarkAllenM)
HyperScale Forums

Two points to make if I could ...

March 20 2017, 1:45 PM 

1. As Lynn may know, I offered support to the Erickson group/management/ownership quite a while back regarding their choice of paint scheme and it's reasonable attempt at authenticity. I was turned down and that's fine. (it's their airplane to do as they wish), but they were still open to accept donations. This changed to a conflict of interest for me. So off I went in my own direction to mind my own affairs with a big "best of luck" to the Erickson folks. Of which I sincerely mean't every bit of it.

2. #1 being said, there's always the chance they'll reconsider and accept an offer to apply a more authentic paint scheme to their HelloKittyschmitt. All it takes is an interest from someone willing to fork out some $$$ (a lot of it) and some persistence. .... but, even with deep pockets and a willingness to donate to someone else's toys, I wouldn't hold your breathe.

For those of us who greatly appreciate a warbird owner who goes the extra mile to not only spend un-Godly amounts of $$$ to restore these old airplanes to flying condition, but to actually go a bit farther to apply an accurate and/or authentic to the airframe dataplate paint scheme. These are the owners who have the utmost admiration and respect from the true enthusiasts. But unfortunately we are few and even more unfortunate they are fewer.

If I ever find myself annoyed that a particular warbird is not completely authentic to my standards, I always try to balance that annoyance with equal appreciation that someone would be willing to spend large sums of time and money to get the airplane to the state it is in, so that I have the opportunity to be able to critique it.

Seems similar in the modeling community as well.

This message has been edited by MarkAllenM from IP address 47.142.199.96 on Mar 20, 2017 1:48 PM

Respond to this message   

Lynn
(Login lmritger)
HyperScale Forums

It's a fair point you make Mark, and we've all been down that road on WIX...

March 20 2017, 10:05 PM 

My issue has always been not with the nose art (cheesy though it is)... it's that he owns one of 12 flying B-17s in the world, an aircraft which is not some mere run of the mill Piper Cub. It is one of the most iconic artifacts from the most significant conflict in history, an airframe in which tens of thousands of our best and brightest shed their blood and gave their lives, and if he's going to go to the effort of putting the 381st's Triangle L and group colors on the tail, the least he can do is properly represent one of the squadrons of that group.

But anyways... rant mode off... happy.gif

Cheers,

Lynn
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Respond to this message   
Mark Allen M
(Login MarkAllenM)
HyperScale Forums

Lynn it's your attitude ...

March 20 2017, 11:29 PM 

... that makes me, for one, feel pride in the small things that I do to help keep the flame going. These vets simply cannot be forgotten and must continue to be honored whether that be building plastic models, restorations of the machines they used, books written about them, movies made, museums, memorials etc etc.

No matter what's done to remember them it will always be never enough. Keep building those models. Their more than just plastic.

Respond to this message   

D. Chouinard
(Login kelric51)
HyperScale Forums

Agree..... (see below)...n/t

March 21 2017, 12:59 AM 

nt

This message has been edited by kelric51 from IP address 75.141.140.214 on Mar 21, 2017 1:00 AM

Respond to this message   

D. Chouinard
(Login kelric51)
HyperScale Forums

Not to digress too much....

March 21 2017, 12:57 AM 

But while we are on the point: it still gets under my skin to see the B-17 once known as "Chuckie" painted up in fictional markings. Having been with the Vintage Flying Museum for so many years, knowing Chuckie and Doc Hospers, and seeing all the work that went into the aircraft, you become attached.
I know that it belongs to someone else now, and they have every right to paint whatever marking they see fit on it, but I agree with you. Best if it represented an actual aircraft, but in the end, it's not ours.

I wish the Jerry Yagen could have kept it, but that's another story. If I was able to buy "Chuckie" it would have remained as it was, but I won no lottery.....

As it is, I'm just glad that it's still flying and that it will be "back home" at the VFM "Big Band Hangar Dance" this year. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Sorry to pull away from the subject....

Respond to this message   
Dennis S.
(Login Dennis7423)
HyperScale Forums

Here's to hoping they install rocket tubes. n/t

March 20 2017, 11:04 AM 

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
HyperScale Forums

The later "short nose" Allison V-1710 is almost identical....

March 20 2017, 5:51 PM 

in size and configuration to the DB 601/605 engines if mounted inverted (would require an inverted oil system). I'd be curious to see how they fit it into the Bf 109G-10 cowling without going inverted, or how they went inverted. A successful conversion to the Allison to run inverted as the "normal" operation would open up to restoring original airframes or building replicas of all the inverted V-12 designs used in WW2 - German, Italian, and Japanese.

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
HyperScale Forums

OK, they went right side up, mounted low in the cowling.....

March 20 2017, 6:01 PM 

It works for the Bf 109G, but I'd guess the MC 202/205 is a bit tighter cowled - still could use an inverted Allison, but this will get the bird back in the air. The DB sound is distinctive, true, but I'd bet some research could determine how to reproduce that sound in some way.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters