<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Has WingNuts Wings screwed the pooch??

March 20 2017 at 2:24 PM
David Goudie  (Login oldsilverback)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 65.102.178.223

Owing to the debacle of the Sopwith Camel release has WingNuts really done a number on itself? When you can order direct (formerly) and get the product in a week to 10-days and now you either go through a failure of a mail order outlet or Sprue Brothers.

Sprue Brothers is no problem as they actually know what they are doing, but stock sells out as soon as arrival and then you just wait and hope to time the next shipment right. I.e. before it too sells out. Not a lick on Sprue Brothers at all. Not their fault and they are still the best.

Where is the improvement?

Why is their website so bereft of any form of updates or changes? Coming soon is the mantra for stuff that has already been released for several months.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Dassele
(Select Login MidwayJunkie)
HyperScale Forums

Kinda like Yogi saying "nobody goes there..............

March 20 2017, 2:33 PM 

anymore, it's too crowded"

Respond to this message   

Gerald
(Login HawkeyeV)
HyperScale Forums

A couple of thoughts

March 20 2017, 3:02 PM 

Whenever a company picks up a new line of products there is a period of discovery as to how much inventory to order both initially and restocks. SB doesn't overstock unlike some others do, if they can reorder and refill inventory in a short period of time. So many others over buy and the inventory sits tying up funds that could otherwise be used for faster moving merch.

The other side of that coin is lets say the new distributor/retailer wants 10,000 pcs but the mfr can only produce 5,000 each run. You take as much as they'll sell you. If you're but one customer, they distribute as they see fit to keep everyone supplied.

As you mentioned SB is on their what third or forth reorder of WNW stock? Which they get restocked pretty quickly considering the others are still waiting for their first stock to arrive.

I think WNW is giddy seeing the number of kits being sold by SB, probably more sold since Feb when SB first started than that other entity did in the last year.

If you have to wait for the product anyway why not buy it from the one that will for sure get it in and ship it to you when it arrives from the mfr.

My 2 cents.

Respond to this message   
David Goudie
(Login oldsilverback)
HyperScale Forums

Like I said

March 20 2017, 3:42 PM 

My comments were not a lick on Sprue Brothers. They are a terrific reseller and I admire their business model totally. Neither were they a lick on WingNut Wings. Merely an observation. I have every one of their single seat fighters and most of their two-seaters. I suspect they were or are trying to get out of retailing their kits but wow, was it a messed up attempt. I bet they learned a real lesson.

Go Wingnuts and Go Sprue Brothers!

Respond to this message   
Kurt Laughlin
(Login Kurt-Laughlin)
HyperScale Forums

Well what is it then?

March 20 2017, 7:34 PM 

"Has WingNuts Wings screwed the pooch??"

"I suspect they were or are trying to get out of retailing their kits but wow, was it a messed up attempt."

"My comments were not a lick . . . on WingNut Wings. Merely an observation."

Maybe you'd care to explain what "screwed the pooch" means. How is "wow, was it a messed up attempt" supposed to be viewed as anything BUT a negative?

"Boy, your wife sure is ugly. Nothing negative on her, just an observation. Why would you be upset?"

KL

This message has been edited by Kurt-Laughlin from IP address 98.236.111.248 on Mar 20, 2017 7:35 PM

Respond to this message   
Darrell B
(Login begaultd)
HyperScale Forums

Wingnut Wings

March 20 2017, 3:30 PM 

Not to excuse Wingnut Wings for having a brain fart, but they DO make the finest 1/32 WWI kits anywhere, bar none.

I will gladly put up with an oopsie or two from them, as long as the oopsie does not include shape or accuracy issues. I have plenty of kits to build until the Camel arrives.

Respond to this message   
David Goudie
(Login oldsilverback)
HyperScale Forums

I totally agree.

March 20 2017, 3:44 PM 

Re-read my remarks. Also know that at my age I have plenty of brain farts and regular ones too, as attested by my eternally patient and loving CIC.

Respond to this message   
Roy A Schlicht
(Login albapfalzd3)
HyperScale Forums

I'd say Finest 1/32 scale kits period...

March 20 2017, 4:14 PM 

WWI or Not.

Roy

Respond to this message   
Philip
(Login sierrahotel)
HyperScale Forums

If you want to whine about poor distribution, don't forget Airfix! Poorest performance in

March 20 2017, 4:30 PM 

Global distribution. Can't keep up with demand period.

Respond to this message   
David Goudie
(Login oldsilverback)
HyperScale Forums

Please re-read my post threads

March 20 2017, 5:24 PM 

I was not whining. If you read that a remedial reading comprehension course may be appropriate. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Tim Hammond
(Login thammond65)
HyperScale Forums

Bit unfair

March 21 2017, 4:20 AM 

Airfix' problem is that a few of their items have massive demand outside the UK but many do not. It doesn't make sense to put in place a proper global distribution system therefore and probably makes sense to deal ad hoc when a kit does have global demand.

Respond to this message   
Mo
(Login IronChefMoFo)
HyperScale Forums

Given that the last several Hornby Annual Reports have said...

March 21 2017, 2:02 PM 

that they intend to focus on overseas/non-UK markets to improve their global revenues... I'd say their failure to put in place a proper global distribution system is a pretty massive problem.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login HawkeyeV)
HyperScale Forums

In order to have distributors

March 21 2017, 5:16 PM 

you have to find someone willing to distribute your product per your terms...that's getting harder and harder.

There are several companies out there who'd love to be their distributor but the mfr expects payment on time which some have difficulty doing.

And if you are one of the few who can, but elect not to because of the terms set forth by the mfr...the mfr needs to rethink their terms if they want to sell and survive. It has to be a win win for all involved.

Respond to this message   
Tim Hammond
(Login thammond65)
HyperScale Forums

thats the point though

March 22 2017, 5:01 AM 

They say they are going to, in other words they have not yet. And we know Hornby has had financial problems. Critiquing people for doing something badly that they havent done yet is a bit absurd.

Respond to this message   
Cuthbert Twilly
(Login CuthbertT)
HyperScale Forums

Section 8 hobbies in Buffalo NY nas the WNW

March 20 2017, 4:55 PM 

Camels..and at a 15 percent discount.
Quick to ship to.
C.

Respond to this message   
gene cloud
(Login nimbus109)
HyperScale Forums

WETA

March 20 2017, 10:56 PM 

Nearly $100 dollars was paid to them on Jan 21 for a Camel. I am still waiting.

Respond to this message   
rod
(Login spoondog13)
HyperScale Forums

Re: WETA

March 21 2017, 2:42 AM 

Two words "NEVER AGAIN!"

If I ever receive a Camel from Wet-As it will be the last Wingnut kit I will purchase.
Their kits are great but there are lots of other great kits around in today's market.
Ok, more than two words but at least I didn't swear!
Rod out.

Respond to this message   

Radu Brinzan
(Login radub)
HyperScale Forums

We have been spoiled by WNW

March 21 2017, 5:50 AM 

In the past, WNW produced, stocked and sold the models directly and that cut the "middle man". This is a sales model that works relatively well for small companies and cottage industries. But that becomes an issue as the range expands and storage/stock-keeping becomes too big to wield effectively. Just picture how much space is needed for thousands of the relatively large (and heavy) WNW boxes. Just picture the manpower, packaging, labelling and equipment needed to ship hundreds of individual boxes daily. This was "doable" when they had a few models in the inventory. I imagine that at some point WNW outgrew its facilities and HAD to start selling through a "middle man". In other words, they became like any other scale model manufacturer out there, which comes with shipment delays, a multitude of individual traders' sales policies, shipping charges and taxes.
Think about it: in the past the model arrived in the WNW warehouse and from there it was shipped to the customer. But now, the model arrives in the WNW warehouse, from there it is sent to the distributor, from the distributor it is sent to the retailer and from the retailer it is sent to the customer. Alternatively, the models may arrive directly from the factory to the distributor. Either way, that adds extra time to the process.
I doubt that WNW suddenly decided to do things differently unless they really had to.
Radu

Respond to this message   
rod
(Login spoondog13)
HyperScale Forums

Models arriving from where to where?

March 21 2017, 6:51 AM 

Hi Radu,

I understand what you have stated.
They sure have decided to do things differently but positive progress it it not.
I do love the bit were you describe models moving for place to place, but at the moment the only thing that has moved is money from my account to WETA, nothing else has appeared to have happened not even a friendly email to reassure me.
Great product + worlds worst customer service = no sale + customer dissatisfaction.
They appear to have become too successful for their own good.

Rod out

Respond to this message   

Radu Brinzan
(Login radub)
HyperScale Forums

Summary

March 21 2017, 7:23 AM 

Wnw no longer sell directly to customers. Wnw sell through intermediaries. This adds a delay and cost. Delays and costs vary with intermediaries. If an intermediary is faster/cheaper than another, use that one.
This is the current situation.
Hope this helps.
Radu

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters