<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jimmy Stewart book "Mission"

March 20 2017 at 7:43 PM

Allan in Canberra  (Login barkhorn)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 203.45.187.179

it's a terrific read and includes details that I was never aware of, including icicles forming on his oxygen mask...but here's something interesting, the bomber crews were warned to beware of fighters painted white attempting to sneak in for an attack hiding in their white contrails...never heard that before, but a white 109 or 190 would be pretty good to add to a collection...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim Kiker
(Login jkiker)
HyperScale Forums

It does raise a question

March 21 2017, 5:54 PM 

Hi Allan,

That is certainly an interesting observation. It makes me wonder what a Bf-109 painted in overall RLM 76 would look like in the bright sun at 30,000 ft?

Respond to this message   

Allan in Canberra
(Login barkhorn)
HyperScale Forums

Re: It does raise a question

March 21 2017, 7:14 PM 

invisible for the most part I would imagine
Allan

Respond to this message   
John
(Login john1953)
HyperScale Forums

Like Wonder Woman plane? N/T

March 21 2017, 8:24 PM 

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

I was thinking the sameā€¦

March 22 2017, 9:24 AM 

In the bright sunlight at 30,000+ feet, that RLM 76 finish may have looked white.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

Respond to this message   

Allan in Canberra
(Login barkhorn)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Jimmy Stewart book "Mission"

March 21 2017, 9:10 PM 

the writing's pretty good too and the image of the Liberator's noses bobbing as they taxi into position for take off is memorable....other interesting snippets of info include that while taxiing the Liberators only used engines no 1 and 4 and that the German fighters like to target engine no 3 because it controlled the hydraulics, if I remember correctly....you get the impression that the challenges of service life, the responsibilites and what we here in Australia call "mateship" all gave Stewart a job well-worth doing and couldn't really compare to his somewhat empty life as a moview star....the book says that he almost never spoke about his experiences on operations, with only one exception and that is about the time he buzzed and beat up his old base in his Liberator...really, the book is quite un-put-downable...one more anecdote and I'll get my coat and head off to have a chai latte, but it appears that on more than one occasion the Liberator crews on his squadron had to head off on a mission without being given an opportunity to have breakfast first...Stewart issued an order that all crews sleeping in late when not on ops can have breakfast until 10 am if they want to.....Stewart sounds like a fine leader and officer and fully deserves the accolades he has received...this book comes with the recommendation of
Allan in Canberra

Respond to this message   
Rich Hicks
(Login Pete352)
HyperScale Forums

The Author is Robert Matzen...

March 22 2017, 12:39 PM 

That or the ISBN is always good to know when searching for a book.

Rich

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters