<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

my worst missing parts story

April 21 2017 at 9:55 AM
Ron M  (Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 107.219.60.175

I was a kid when I went to a nearby community to by a small model by Hawk. I think it was a 1/24 scale model of an antique car, maybe the Rambler, I don't think it was cellophane wrapped, just taped, but it rattled, so I knew something was in there. When I got home to open it, all I found was empty sprues! Some clever person saved himself maybe $0.49 by returning the model, with the parts taken off, without the employee checking the content, and then putting it back on the shelf! Of course, I wanted to return it, but thought, they won't believe me, so I went back in with my father, hoping he would increase my credibility, but, noooo! They still didn't believe me, and I didn't get my precious $0.49 back. This was back in the early 60s, when that was a weeks allowance for me.

I doubt Hawk would have believed me, either. Of course, I never went back there again.

This message has been edited by ronsm from IP address 107.219.60.175 on Apr 21, 2017 9:58 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Marin Ennis
(Login mfe59)
HyperScale Forums

Re: my worst missing parts story

April 21 2017, 10:14 AM 

A tough way to learn at a young age how there are bad apples out there.

Respond to this message   
James Caldwell
(Login PRILLER13)
HyperScale Forums

Revell DH 2 story

April 21 2017, 10:21 AM 

Ron, your story was very entertaining and reminded me of a similar experience. I was a lad in the late '60s or early '70s and looked and looked for a Revell 1/72 scale DH 2 WW1 biplane kit at the local department stores. There weren't a lot of local hobby stores near me at the time, but department, hardware and drug stores carried a lot of plastic models in the day. They weren't real good about restocking once something sold, however. A local drug store had one on the shelf, but you could tell this thing had been around a while. The box was worn and crushed and had been opened. I remember opening the box in the store and noting that several parts were off the sprues, but had to have the kit. Once I got the kit home however and started inventorying the parts, there were probably a dozen or so missing: several of the struts, a wheel, the machine gun, etc.

That evening, I sat down and wrote Revell in Venice, California, a nice letter telling them about what had happened. I am happy to report that my story has a happy ending as Revell did respond to the letter. They did however want me to send proof of purchase of the kit and stated that there was no way the kit left their factory with all those pieces missing. I had to bum another stamp from my mom to mail a second letter and an end of the box as proof of purchase of the kit. In a couple more weeks, all the parts I had requested were sent to me and I was a happy little boy, and quickly put that kit together, using tube glue and sewing thread to rig it with. It was my pride and joy for several months until my mom knocked the upper wing off of it while dusting it one day while I was at school. Due to the complexity of the rigging, I did not try to repair it, but had my own little dog fight in the back yard between von Richtoven's Albatross and Lanoe Hawkers DH2, with Hawker being burned to death as the fuel (a small cup of gasoline I threw on the model) ignited during the crash. Oh what fun memories of youth.

Respond to this message   

Daryl H
(Login Daryl_Huhtala)
HyperScale Forums

Here's one....

April 21 2017, 10:25 AM 

I was 13 years old in 1964 when I rode my bike 2 miles through suburban traffic to the hardware/hobby store. I picked out the new Revell 1/72 FIAT Cr.42 and pedaled back home. When I opened it up and looked it over I couldn't find the canopy. So after another bike ride back to the shop I explained to the old guy at the counter that it wasn't in there and could I exchange it for another? He looked inside, peeled the inner corner back and there it was. I rode back feeling like an idiot the whole way home.

Kind of amazing what details stick out in your memories
CinC Hooterville Air Corps (Ret.)
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

Respond to this message   
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

"Some clever person saved himself maybe $0.49". Well 49 cents ....

April 21 2017, 10:25 AM 

was a lot more back then.

Clever?? He prob went on to Wall St, sell new/used cars, or become a politician.

I'm sure many yrs from now many eBay bought sealed in 'original' shrink wrap collector kits will be found to contain empty sprues or sprues of cheap kits. OH to see the face of the new owner in 2040 who paid many 100s (1000s?) for that sealed, in mint cond, whatever. Opened to actually be built perhaps to re-live his 1960s childhood.

That diy shrink wrap, or just a couple pieces of cello tape, are a good ploy/guarantee that the contents of that $$ mint kit will not see the light of day for a good long time. Way past eBay's month or two return/file a complaint time limit.

Respond to this message   

Alex in Seattle
(Login AlexTSeattle)
HyperScale Forums

I just KNEW there was a reason I was saving all those empty boxes!

April 21 2017, 10:58 AM 

More retirement income ideas!!
"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the Earth come from below and smite thee" - William Kershner

"I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition" Jimmy Buffet

Alex in Seattle

Respond to this message   
Tom Hall
(Login el-rancho-decomposo)
HyperScale Forums

I used to think I was the king of missing canopies

April 21 2017, 11:24 AM 

Seems I had several kits when I was younger without certain clear parts (I was too shy to complain), but I was happy to discover a photo of the captured Stirling with a tarp taped over the nose glazing so my Airfix kit had a new goal in life. And then Falcon canopies came to my rescue later, since most of those kits were still in their boxes, waiting.....

Strangest one was a Hawk U-2 with two port side fuselage halves. I kid you not, years later at a kit show I found one with two starboard halves!

At another kit show, I was sitting at my table and got a front & center seat as two brothers went at with a vendor over a rare AMT(?) car kit that apparently was in original cellophane--they opened it up right there and it had the wrong tires, so they were about to get in a fist fight as the vendor said "Hey, it was in original shrink wrap, sold AS-IS"

I started thinking about some woman in 1964 who had no idea when she grabbed the wrong sprue of tires and put in the box that 30 years later it would almost come to blows...

This message has been edited by el-rancho-decomposo from IP address 47.138.152.239 on Apr 21, 2017 11:33 AM

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

I think one or the other U-2s showed up at Keller's show, Right?

April 21 2017, 6:43 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tom Hall
(Login el-rancho-decomposo)
HyperScale Forums

Maybe The Edge, never Bono

April 21 2017, 9:34 PM 

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
John Carr
(Login fuzz_09)
HyperScale Forums

So that's how Bernie Madoff got started n/t

April 21 2017, 11:31 AM 

Respond to this message   
Dave Fifer
(Login edfifer)
HyperScale Forums

About 3 years ago...

April 21 2017, 12:25 PM 

I ordered a Great Wall Hobby P-61 kit from Amazon Warehouse Deals at a nice discount off the usual price. The condition was advertised as something like, "box opened, contents new and complete." When I received the kit, the only thing "Great Wall Hobby" about it was the box and the instruction sheet. The plastic was all-Monogram. Somebody previous had purchased the GWH kit from Amazon, swapped out the plastic for their Monogram kit, and returned it to Amazon for a refund. I advised Amazon, and fortunately their return policy is better than that of the local 60s store that inadvertently refunded and resold a box of empty Hawk Rambler sprues.

Respond to this message   

Hub Plott
(Login HubPlott)
HyperScale Forums

There used to be a vendor in the Southeast named Buzz

April 21 2017, 12:46 PM 

Who had the reputation for selling mint wrapped kits that when opened only contained empty junked sprue pieces. I know several folks this happened to over the years.

Strangest thing I had was I ordered a Hasegawa 1/48 Bf-109 with Bulgarian markings from HLJ. When I opened the box it contained a complete Mitsubishi Zero.
If anything in the above post offends you I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

Respond to this message   
Marin Ennis
(Login mfe59)
HyperScale Forums

Vendor in southeast

April 21 2017, 1:03 PM 

I believe I recall that particular vendor!

Back in the 1980s and 90s I was at a few model shows where he was vending. This guy would routinely ask customers to watch his set-up while he was off getting lunch, doing a bathroom trip, or just to chat with other vendors.

One time asked me to watch his stand. No problem except he never put any kind of pricing on his wares and I had people coming up wanting to know how much the kits cost. One vendor suggested selling the kits using the original msrp!!

I'm not sure if this vendor's still selling kits, let alone still with us.

This message has been edited by mfe59 from IP address 98.237.88.187 on Apr 21, 2017 1:23 PM

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

He was on the west coast for a while too.

April 21 2017, 6:45 PM 

Not very popular.

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Buzz from Land Sea and Air Collectibles

April 21 2017, 8:10 PM 

Or something like that. He would also go around the vendors room and take stuff from unattended tables (you know how sellers put a sheet over their wares when they are away...) and/or would just stand there and sell stuff and pocket the money.

Respond to this message   

Hub Plott
(Login HubPlott)
HyperScale Forums

That's the one.

April 22 2017, 12:32 PM 

Doing that at the Orlando nationals in the 90s got him banned from the nats.
If anything in the above post offends you I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

Respond to this message   
Fred Amos
(Login oldpopcorn)
HyperScale Forums

I have dealt with Buzz and his

April 21 2017, 9:52 PM 

ugly twin brothers several times.
Remember...... There is a thin line between a hobby and mental illness. Ask me how I know.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Ha, Buzz was one of flight instructor. Never saw any of the activity you mentioned.

April 22 2017, 6:48 PM 

I still have kits I bought from Buzz back in the eighties. Never a problem. He would go the extra mile to find stuff. I recall that in 1987 (pre-net) I "needed" a SM.79 and couldn't find one. Asked Buzz and two weeks later he found one in his stash. Price was a princely $12. He tried to make a go of aviation memorabilia for a while but it collapsed after eight years. In the end the employees were not getting paid except for what they sold over the counter. Buzz went awol for a while. He would drop into the shop around 11 pm (five hours after closing ) and replenish the shelves.

Anyway, point is that he took a stab at entrepreneurship and simply did not have the foresight or ability to see the age of the Internet coming, or the need for new improved kits. He honestly thought people would be happy with Hasegawa B-47s and Monogram P-40's because that was his interest.

As a flight instructor he was very patient and took the time to explain things clearly. He was a highly skilled pilot with an incredible combat record. Will never forget the time he met a Sandy pilot at one of the shows.

As for the activity complained of, I never saw it and I was around Buzz 1991-1992. What I did see was a wheeler and dealer. He would buy up kits at 9 am and sell them by 4. I believe many used kits he purchased were de-nuded of certain parts; and he never tried to check them. Therefore when someone finally did buy it down the line, they blamed Buzz. Anyway all water under the bridge now.

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

He was a trip

April 22 2017, 7:09 PM 

A friend of mine and I had tables at one of the St. Pete IPMS shows and Buzz came up as soon as the door opened and haggled and haggled over kits. He bought a ton from my friend at about 1/2 the asking price because he was getting something like 20 kits at once. When Buzz got his table up and running, there was a kit my friend wanted that would/should/did sell for about $25. But, Buzz wanted $75 and wouldn't give my friend a break on it at all, even through he just got a super deal himself.

Worked out in the end because Buzz said hey, hang on to it so it doesn't get sold, and you can pay me later when you sell some more stuff. My friend just packed up and went home and took the kit with him ! This would have been sometime in the mid to late 90s, I forget now but it was about 20 years ago.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

My Buzz Story

April 22 2017, 10:58 PM 

I was going on business to a real crazy Central American country and Buzz advises me where to stay, what to eat and who to bribe for a better room at the only decent hotel in the city where I was staying. Tells me I should never be without a hand cannon and briefcase full of cash. I did not take gun but the cash. It helped.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters