<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"Little Miss Mischief" Did she have a Cheyanne tail?

July 15 2017 at 4:59 PM
Bob Muckley  (Login BMuckster)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 173.61.235.64

I just received my Kit World decals for Little Miss Mischief for my 1/72 Airifx kit. The decals indicate that she had a Cheyanne tail. A google search revealed only one photo of the actual plane's tail, and it looks like the standard one to me. Of course, there are hundreds of drawings and models, to, and they seem to show both tails. Does anyone know of any definitive info on this?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Seems to have had a standard tail.

July 15 2017, 5:10 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tim Clark
(Login Ghost5283)
HyperScale Forums

LMM and the tale of her tails.....

July 15 2017, 6:15 PM 

From the information I have available to me: Prior to her rebuild, she was B-17G-35VE s/n 42-97880, equipped with a standard tail, unstaggered, 3-pane UAL Mod Center waist windows in overall NMF. She went to the 91st and was assigned to the 324th BS, DF*F. After her rebuild she retained the standard tail for most, if not all of her career. However, there is one specific image (which I naturally cannot locate) after her crash on the runway at Bassingborn that seems to show her with the unmistakable pumpkin turret plexiglass enclosure. If she did in fact have the pumpkin turret fitted, it was very, very late in the game and probably was done when she was down for maintenance after damage on a previous mission. Right now, that sentence is just speculation on my part.

and please, please ,please....do NOT paint the vertical tail where the deice boot was, black. That area was painted red after July 1944 and with the deice boot removed (as evidenced by the natural metal fin immediately forward of the red ID band) it all would've been painted red. In my opinion, the black paint in that area is the result of misinterpreted images.

I'll keep looking for the image I think shows her with a pumpkin tail enclosure.

UPDATE: I found the photo I thought showed the pumpkin turret plexiglass but it's inconclusive as not enough is visible to say she had the pumpkin turret. With that said, I'd stick by what MD said about her having the standard stinger tail turret.

This message has been edited by Ghost5283 from IP address 174.55.179.120 on Jul 15, 2017 6:28 PM

Respond to this message   
DarrenH
(Login dehowie)
HyperScale Forums

Great photos at LSP.

July 15 2017, 11:20 PM 

Look for a post thats many pages long on the HK B-17. There are several awesome photos of LMM at various times.
Great aeroplaneto build...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters