<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hasegawa 1/48 Zero - anything to be wary of?

July 15 2017 at 5:26 PM
Roger Cockburn  (Login Hon.JohnByng)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 5.67.14.168

Ordered my first Zero, a Type 21, Junyo airwing. Any tweaks needed for the Hasegawa kit?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John S
(Login johnsnz)
HyperScale Forums

Nice kit..

July 15 2017, 5:50 PM 

I built one earlier this year...

Nice straightforward build... I'd recommend getting a mask set for the canopy. Oh and read all the 'advice' on the correct colour...

Have fun...

Respond to this message   

Pip Moss
(Login pnmoss)
HyperScale Forums

The only thing I changed on the one I built was an Ultracast seat,

July 15 2017, 5:50 PM 

which is a much better rendition than the kit item. You can get it with or without harness (the harness version has a single shoulder strap and a pair of lap straps). IMHO it's a pretty fine kit and doesn't need much beyond that in the way of aftermarket, although you may want to go with different decals (as I did), especially if the kit ones feature Hasegawa's patented off-white whites.

Respond to this message   
Mrockhill
(Login type99)
HyperScale Forums

Builds very well out of the box!

July 15 2017, 7:14 PM 

I agree that a mask set is a nice thing to have for a Zero (or any kit IMHO) the only fit issue I had was smoothing out the underside wing to fuselage join, otherwise it was a smooth build.

The cockpit has a very respectable level of detail but I would either sand the seat down to something much closer to scale thickness and then open up the lightening holes with a pin vise drill as I did or buy one of the nicer aftermarket seats.

This is the only improvement that is easily noticed in the cockpit area without craning necks and using flashlights. I added some other details in mine but the seat is the money shot.

I used kit decals on mine, which where of the "Ivory" variety dating from the mid 90s. They didnt appear nearly as off white once on the model.

Despite appearing thinner on the sheet vs tamiya decals they seemed thicker on the model and didnt lay down well with micro sol/set. Mr mark softer and hot water is how I handle hasegawa decals now.

I have not used more recent hasegawa decals but do have some and they are definitely white now. I cant comment on how well they lay down but I will find out in a few months when I finish up a 1/72 hasegawa model 21.

Respond to this message   
Chris Cowx
(Login crcowx)
HyperScale Forums

Good kit

July 15 2017, 7:56 PM 

I am currently in the midst of a slow Type 21 and a Type 32 build. I would suggest that what everyone here says about the seat and cockpit detail is correct. Add in some brake lines and wiring on the engine and you are in pretty good shape. I would also use an aftermarket gunsight and maybe an instrument panel if you are wanting to go to town.

Overall, it is a good kit, but it is 20+ years old. Detail is not up to current top of the line, but it is close and very acceptable.

Construction issue to keep in mind are few, but there are a couple:

-The rear fuselage and lower wing join could do with a little tab of plastic to give it some strength and to line it up easily.
-The insert at the front of the lower wing that includes the oil cooler intake is a bit fussy to get in place. If you mess it up there will be some ugly and difficult seams to remove in the wheel wells. Just take some care and perhaps some little shims of plastic to help secure and line it up.
-Hollow out the exhaust, perhaps after you glue them to the underside of the cowling. You might even want to scribe a line around them once installed so that a wash will make it look like they are poked through a hole, rather than glued to the outside.
-The decals are ok, but they definitely need Mr. Mark softener. Better yet replace them with something aftermarket!

Good luck and post pictures, if you can these days!

Chris

Respond to this message   
Roger Cockburn
(Login Hon.JohnByng)
HyperScale Forums

Great!

July 16 2017, 5:27 AM 

Thanks for the help guys! I am looking forward to it. I have a few Kates in the stash but this will be my first Japanese build. I will definitely get the seat and mask and when I get the kit I will look it over to see if I want to add anything else.

Respond to this message   
FErnando
(Login finargil)
HyperScale Forums

True, a PE seat would be a great improvement (n/t)

July 18 2017, 4:38 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters