<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

F/18F on Cybermodeler

July 17 2017 at 3:47 AM
Roger Cockburn  (Login Hon.JohnByng)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 5.67.14.168

I think they don't call it FA/18 anymore?
I promise I will not post anymore Cybermodeler pics after this one for a while but this one intrigues me.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/

Are all the bomb markings for sorties by crew or aircraft (or both)? It looks like it is the CO's aircraft but is the WSO (might be old terminology from my interest in Phantoms) marked as IO or 10? Both have the rank of Commander. Is he the intelligence officer or the squadron's second in command or what?

Just curious.

This message has been edited by Hon.JohnByng from IP address 5.67.14.168 on Jul 17, 2017 3:47 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve M
(Login Wumm.)
HyperScale Forums

Not IO but XO...

July 17 2017, 4:38 AM 

...as in Executive Officer.

S

Respond to this message   
JMehner
(Login Jens_O_Mehner)
HyperScale Forums

Markings are usually by aircraft, else you would be constantly repainting. n/m

July 17 2017, 4:44 AM 

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

Cool Weathering...

July 17 2017, 7:48 AM 

Check out the wear and tear on the "pizza box". Don't sweat linking pics, especially if they offer up good reference material.

"01" series of aircraft (in this case "201") is typically marked up as the CO/XO aircraft in a squadron. "00" series (i.e. "200")would be the Carrier Air Group (CAG) jet...although that term isn't officially used anymore from what I gather.

Respond to this message   
Marvin
(Login 66018)
HyperScale Forums

Also notice the faded IR portion on the "slime light"

July 17 2017, 8:43 AM 

One of the distinct features of the "E", "F", and "G" Super Hornets is the two-color "slime lights", part colored yellowish-green, while the IR portion is an almost black color. Notice on this Super Hornet, that the dark IR portion is almost indistuishable, perhaps caused by fading. When new, this formation light's colors would have been very distinct.

This message has been edited by 66018 from IP address 99.67.64.79 on Jul 17, 2017 8:45 AM

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

yeah, good catch!

July 17 2017, 1:16 PM 

I'll have to look around at other pics and see if they fade or what.

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

NFO not WSO

July 17 2017, 1:44 PM 

Naval Aviators are Pilots or Naval Flight Officers (There are also Enlisted Aircrewmen, but that's a whole different conversation and when I got out had become very complicated). WSO is I believe an Air force term. Depending on the type of aircraft you could have 2 pilots and crew in the back who are NFOs i.e. Hawkeyes, or a mix of pilots and NFOs S-3s and Prowlers, or one pilot and one NFO, who then may have a sub designation, for example when we still flew A-6s you had the Pilot, then the BN (Bombardier Navigator) who was an NFO. When I got out we had just really started transitioning away from the EA-6B so I am not sure about growlers, or other two seat FA-18s.
Rob
AECS(AW) Retired

Respond to this message   
Roger Cockburn
(Login Hon.JohnByng)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks!

July 17 2017, 2:02 PM 

Interesting info, as usual on HS! Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Collin
(Login CollinT)
HyperScale Forums

Backseaters in F/A-18F Station Wagons are called WSO's

July 17 2017, 2:42 PM 

RIO was for the F-14, now we say WSO for the two seat Hornet.

S-3's were COTAC or TACCO
EA-6B/Growler: ECMO
P-3/P-8: NAV/COMM or TACCO
E-2: "mole"
A-6 Intruder" B/N (Bomb/Nav)

Cheers
Collin

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks!

July 17 2017, 5:41 PM 

Didn't know that about the two seat Hornets, and don't forget the sensos for the S-3, though we usually flew them with LT "Frick" in at least one seat when I was in VS-38 and 41. I did 3 tours in Hawkeyes (VAW 124, 115, 120) and never heard them called moles though.
Rob

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

Never heard them called moles??!!

July 18 2017, 8:24 AM 

Wow...the 'FO mafia must have stomped out that term. I was in Hawkeyes from '89-'93 (127, 124,120), heard it used often...but NONE of them liked the term.

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

I was a youngin' during those years

July 18 2017, 9:39 PM 

So maybe I just wasn't paying attention. When were you in 124? I was there from '87 -91.
Rob

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

USN

July 17 2017, 7:16 PM 

I think other than Rescue Swimmers, the USN has pretty much succeeded in getting rid of enlisted aircrew in Carrier Air Wings. EA-6Bs at one time, IIRC, had two enlisted Marines in the back, S-3s typically had one enlisted aircrew in the back and I don't know if E-2s still carry the enlisted "tron" (technician, not operator) or not.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

Don't forget the mighty COD

July 17 2017, 9:02 PM 

2 enlisted aircrew in the back. When I was Senior ENlisted for VRC 30 Det 3, they were awesome, hard working and knew every inch and system of the aircraft.
Rob

Respond to this message   
Darren Roberts
(Login Darren_Roberts)
HyperScale Forums

Best job in the Navy?

July 18 2017, 4:09 PM 

I once chatted with a COD driver and he stated that he had the best job in the Navy. Sure, the C-2 wasn't sexy like the tactical aircraft, but he never flew to the carrier at night, and when they were forward deployed, he got to stay in a hotel while still getting extra pay. He said he wouldn't trade it for the world.

Respond to this message   
Rex, Accidental CAG
(Login RexTN)
HyperScale Forums

yes, Pilot might be best job,,,,,,but

July 18 2017, 5:02 PM 

Being the COD pilot probably is the best job in Navair,,,,,,,but, any job that makes you have to ride in the COD as a passenger has to be a 30-way tie for "worst."

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

I flew lots on the COD in the back

July 18 2017, 9:19 PM 

When I was the Det SCPO, I loved it, especially cats and traps. I did have quite the kink in my neck after a rather long flight from Iwo Jima to Okinawa once, but still I loved flying in those old beasts. I think it is partially because of all the time we spent maintaining them it was a treat to get to "enjoy" the fruits of our labor. Plus me being the Det Senior Chief I got one of the two window seats! My first cat shot as a Det LCPO, we had all our gear crammed in every nook and cranny of the cargo compartment as well as stuffed all around us. The Crew Chief came by and said "Hey Chief, you ever taken a cat shot on a C-2 500lbs over max takeoff?" "Nope" I said "Well today's your lucky day!" he replied She dipped he tail and wallowed a tad at the end of the cat stroke, but then climbed like a homesick angel!!
Rob

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

Well, that guy obviously never spent time in P-3s!

July 18 2017, 7:27 PM 

"What's a boat?" happy.gif

Per Diem and beer go together well.

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

E-2C IFT

July 18 2017, 8:20 AM 

The E-2C IFT went away about 1992 or so. My first squadron (VAW-127) still had two ATs that were IFTs when I was with them from '89-'92 but shortly after the squadron decommed ('92)those dudes were done flying. They flew as troubleshooters and to op-check gear after maintenance was done on it. I was buddies with one of them and he hated it...couldn't understand why, and he just had to sign his page and be done...right??

I came in wanting to be an aircrewman but had to wait a couple years (because of the kid who drowned at RSS in '88??). In the meantime, I had a flight physical done, all the swim phys quals and when we deployed to Panama they only used two "moles" in the back, so after pestering my Div-O about it, they let me fly with them a few times down there. The mission flights were boring...but the pilot proficiency and fam flights were a good time, low levels over the jungle and up the canal. Wasn't until two years later that I finally got sent to aircrew school.

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

Yep, timeline sounds about right

July 18 2017, 8:31 AM 

I was in VAW 120 when they stopped flying IFTs. I have a facebook buddy who still got some time as an enlisted in the past few years, then he went to the "dark side" and got his commission. We had one or two guys who still flew when I was in VAW 115 from '93 to '98, but those were rare by that time. It used to be they would take you up and let you re-enlist flying past Mt Fuji, but then they stopped that as well. They said you had to complete the swim qual, helo dunker and all that. Now when I was in VS-41 we got one or two ATs guys ejection seat qualled, but I am not sure they ever flew.
Rob

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters