<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I the spirit of Serge's post below...WHO has inspired you in your model building?

August 11 2017 at 5:50 PM
Gil Hodges  (Login slowhandshodges)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 99.5.65.108

I think many of us who are on Serge's list made it because we may tend to be a bit more prolific and/or post more than some others. At least, I think that's how I was in his mind and made the list.

But that made me think... WHO has influenced your building, who's work have you admired, and who'd made the hobby more enjoyable for you? And, I don't mean just here on Hyperscale, but over the years and from anywhere.

For me, the first influence was Jordan Ross, of Scale Modeler fame. After that there were many IPMS members I met at shows and in clubs over the years such as Barry Numerick, Bob Steinbrun, Bill Bosworth, John Ficklin, Ken Belisle, Richard Van Zant, Jon Bius, and Larry Goodell. It's not that I could ever build to their levels, but seeing their work is always inspiring.

There are many more I could list, but those were the names that immediately popped into my mind.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "fan fest" but I do want to acknowledge some of the people who've made model building more fun for me!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick
(Login madmanrick60)
HyperScale Forums

I suspect I will be far from alone....

August 11 2017, 8:00 PM 

when I say Shep Paine is probably my #1 modeling influence! His dioramas and the flyers included with those Monogram kits from back in the day, really ade me see model building in a completely different light.

Francois Verlinden was also an inspiration and influence.

My uncle Jack, who purchased some of my early kits for me and then inspired me by building a Revell Sea Witch ship model, that was fully rigged and had cloth sails, along with a copper foil covered hull (years before Bare Metal foil was even heard of)! That model graced the mantle in our home for many years.

Rick

This message has been edited by madmanrick60 from IP address 198.179.65.102 on Aug 11, 2017 8:10 PM

Respond to this message   

Ted Dorfman
(Login dammodeus)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, Shep Paine and the diorama sheets inspired me at age 12 until now!!

August 11 2017, 10:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
Derek
(Login Derekbrown)
HyperScale Forums

Me too on Shep

August 11 2017, 11:59 PM 

Me too on Shep. I was the kid that tried to copy each of his dios from the tips sheets. Even went to the train store to try to find some 'gizmo' parts that I could use on the engine handing from the stand. I should dig out those old photos and post them. I figured if I could copy his attention to detail then I could move forward from there.

I would bet if Revell or Zukei did something similar today it would spark something in the current younger generation.

Buffie

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login madmanrick60)
HyperScale Forums

I forgot a BIGGIE..

August 12 2017, 8:51 PM 

Another of my influences was the Squadron Shop in Royal Oak (the original store at 9 Mile), that place was everything an 11 year old could dream up and more! I spent many hours in that place just drolling over the cool models that were displayed. I couldn't begin to understand then how they were able to build them without getting gluey fingerprints all over them.

Rick

Respond to this message   

Mike Lobo
(Login theapacolypse)
HyperScale Forums

Young C. Park...

August 11 2017, 8:37 PM 

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm

- RIP
My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
John Healy
(Login JohnHealy)
HyperScale Forums

Ray Rimell, Paul Boyer and our own Russ here on HS.......

August 11 2017, 9:03 PM 

Mr. Rimell's work got me hooked on WW1 and vacs back in the 80s, I enjoy Mr. Boyer's style, and Russ always picks great subjects and finishes them perfectly with a brush.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login modelling_mushi)
HyperScale Forums

Ray Rimell and My Dad ...

August 12 2017, 3:34 AM 

I used to devour the old OLD magazine series "Wings" and there would always be a Ray Rimell modelling article on the back. He got me to thinking I could build models of the aluminum I was ogling ... and still sets a standard I can only aspire to.

And then my Dad, couldn't model to save his soul but put up with paint, glues and Airfix bagged aircraft kits to keep his 5 year old kid happy. What more inspiration did I need but that of a retired Ex RN submariner trying to make his kids world happier?

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

That's easy ... Jim Kiker and best RF-4C pilot on Hyperscale too Nt

August 11 2017, 9:29 PM 

Nt

Respond to this message   
Marin Ennis
(Login mfe59)
HyperScale Forums

My inspiration for buidling models was..

August 11 2017, 10:48 PM 

my next door neighbor Robert Weidenheimer. Bob was a retired USAAF/USAF MSgt and had been building models since the early 1950s. After finishing each kit he hung it up from the ceiling of his second floor study.

Not long after our family moved in next door I discovered Bob's back room. Countless times I would venture up to the room and spend hours looking up at all the airplanes. I got the itch to start building and in for Christmas 1965 my uncle gave me a 1/72 Revell Hawker Hurricane and Me-109. Bob, in the meantime would continue humming along building one model after another and adding them to his aerial circus to the point he almost ran out of room.

Shortly before passing away Bob and his wife Florence graciously allowed me to select any of the models suspended from the ceiling. I specifically chose those airplanes I recalled seeing during the time I resided next door in the 1960s. Today these very models are hanging from the ceiling in my den, complete with the original hooks, string, and dust from Bob's house! And yes, I still look up at them just like I did years ago. But these days I'm thanking Bob for introducing me to model building and hoping he's looking down and happy seeing his models continue receiving the attention they always deserved.

This message has been edited by mfe59 from IP address 73.101.237.37 on Aug 11, 2017 10:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Bill Suggs
(Login suggsw)
HyperScale Forums

Some guy named Gil ...

August 11 2017, 11:41 PM 

just sayin'!

Respond to this message   
Ken
(Login KAcosta)
HyperScale Forums

Inspiration

August 12 2017, 12:39 AM 

Not a moment's hesitation:

- Bob Steinbrunn and his magnificent FSM articles;
- Ken Belisle, whose works of art I would see regularly at an Orange Park, FL hobby shop when I was going through VS-27 in 19990-1991. They (and he) had a HUGE impact on my outlook and motivation.

Respond to this message   
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

When I was a kid, an F-15 won the big prize at the Nats:

August 12 2017, 1:09 AM 

would have been '78? '79? To the best of my memory, the builder was a younger modeler, and had done an extensive amount of superdetailing, all from scratch: which wasn't even really a thing yet, that I knew of, at least. It was on the cover of the first IPMS Journal I recieved when I joined as a junior member.

It was the first time I saw that modeling could be more than buying a kit at Woolworths and slapping it together. And it was done by some kid who was closer to my age than my parents.

So, after my dad and Shep Paine, I count the modeler of that F-15 as a great influence. Anybody remember that model, or the guy who built it?

Respond to this message   
Mark Hammon
(Login MarkHx3)
HyperScale Forums

It was Matt or Mark Waki.. I think

August 12 2017, 12:32 PM 

Heres Marks FW-190D-9. Built in the 70s. Amazing.
http://www.markwaki.com/pages/Focke%20Wulf%20190%20D9%20page1.htm

Respond to this message   
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the lead! Turns out...

August 12 2017, 2:23 PM 

...it was the younger brother, Matt, at the '79 convention in Milwaukee. Mark mentions this at the very end of the text on his Fw190D-9, which is equally groundbreaking.

I'm adding them both to my lists of inspirations.

This message has been edited by ferdico from IP address 76.173.10.11 on Aug 12, 2017 2:24 PM

Respond to this message   
Mike Dobrzelecki
(Login PolMikeD)
HyperScale Forums

1st -My elder Brother,Dan.Then a guy named Stan Staples,1001 Model Airplanes,Scale Modeler

August 12 2017, 7:34 AM 

Respond to this message   
Bob O'Connor
(Login FAAFAN)
HyperScale Forums

My inspiration didn't necessarily come from a modeller

August 12 2017, 8:16 AM 

Having grown up as a Navy brat in the 50's ,60's and early 70's I was always around all those things we all love to replicate- ships, planes military vehicles. The history and significance of all of those was never lost on me (not to mention the COOL factor...). I started building in about 3rd grade and continued thru high school, like many of us, found girls and the 1:1 scale importance of that distraction...until early adulthood. Back to it again in my early to mid 20's and for 40 years straight since. We are all amateur historians of sorts, and my inspiration, while certainly including a variety of modelers both known and unknown to me, are the men and women who have served their country, time immemoriam, and the machines they rode, drove or carried into battle or the things used to prevent war (or as dad, a Nuke officer in the Navy always said, "peace through superior firepower").

As I enter my later years, I spend more time wondering what to do with my built collection, and am trying to find a likely home for them once I can't build and eventually go to the great Hobby Shop in the sky.
Bob O'Connor

"Eternal Vigilance is the price of liberty"
Wendell Phillips

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

The models themselves and the actual aircraft. My mediocre style is all my own.

August 12 2017, 9:09 AM 

Respond to this message   
Todd McGaha
(Login toddy2hottie)
HyperScale Forums

Certainly Shep Paine and then...

August 12 2017, 9:49 AM 

the members of the Louisville Ky IPMS Military Modelers Club. I remember seeing Shep's diorama booklet on the B-17 at school in about the fifth or sixth grade. That showed me how to take kit building to the next level. Then in about the eighth grade I stumbled onto the IPMS club and discovered model builders who practiced what Shep was doing and I have always held an interest every since.
After moving to Nevada I quickly sought out the local IPMS club and still count some of its members as modelling influences some 30 years later despite 2 cross country moves.
There are too many people from all over the world here on Hyperscale to name, but they are all influential to me. There is one person who I shall name specifically and that is Randy Lutz. He gets special mention because when I first found Hyperscale on the internet I asked a question about a 1/48th Tamiya Dewoitine D520 and he responded almost immediately with not just the answer but also some encouragement. I always remember his generosity.

Todd McGaha

Respond to this message   

Don Fogal
(Login shogun66)
HyperScale Forums

Uhhhh...? What happened to Serge's aforementioned post?

August 12 2017, 10:20 AM 

I don't see it anymore...

And to respond to this one... My dad, who got me started in modeling, I'd have to say just on that premise he was one of my biggest inspirations.

Then, obviously, Mr. Shep Paine, who like everyone else, really loved seeing his work in FSM, and his flyers in Monogram boxes...

Also, at the risk of making them feel old... Paul Boyer, and Pat Hawkey. Whose work I read every chance I had in FSM. (Apologies to Pat and Paul) wink.gif
[linked image]
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we’ve been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don

Luke: 22:36

This message has been edited by shogun66 from IP address 107.12.130.163 on Aug 12, 2017 10:23 AM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters