<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Other than profit, what's the thinking behind Eduard's bronze ....

September 12 2017 at 9:18 PM
Tom Booth  (Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 64.136.27.162

Brassin u/c legs??

OK, if a heavy model, prob stronger than the kit's plastic legs. But is the featured 48th 109-F that heavy? No.

Now if polished up, unpainted w/ a seal coat of clear, nice looking for sure. Shiny. Not 1:1 authentic of course.

And then there's the 20+ (!) buck price!!??

Good for Eduard, I guess, for pushing the scale modelling AM edge/envelope, but this new-ish product (they offered some for their 48th Mig 29 a couple yrs ago too I think) seems to answer a Q not asked.

Pass. Esp when for less than twice their cost, I can buy another one of their fine reworked 109Gs (ProfilPak) from HLJ!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bernard payne
(Login bernie.payne5)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Other than profit, what's the thinking behind Eduard's bronze ....

September 12 2017, 9:34 PM 

I agree. Much needed for 1/32 scale (ask me how I know) but probably not 1/48.JM2C.

Respond to this message   
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

Oh yeah, say for the 32nd HK B-17. Wonder of that kit's legs ....

September 14 2017, 1:05 AM 

are reinforced w/ a wire insert or some such?

Respond to this message   
Gil Hodges
(Login slowhandshodges)
HyperScale Forums

Because modelers have proven themselves to be suckers!

September 12 2017, 9:40 PM 

Over the last 30yrs we modelers have proven that we WILL pay a higher price for "perceived" higher quality.

Sometimes it's truly a better kit/aftermarket set and other times it's just another competitor's version of what they think is "better" or more "accurate".

The main change between then and now is that these items are pushed by the "expert reviewers" as necessities to address perceived shortcomings in kits, and not "choices" that builders have to choose from IF they want to do more to a kit.

Look at the latest 109 review over the last 2 days in "What's New"; where Bret presents a new release of a very good kit and then proceeds to list every aftermarket item available (and he's throwing into it). It's one way to build a kit, but it's not the ONLY way to build it. And yes, I realize that Bret is NOT doing that. As far as I can tell he's showing what you CAN do to the model with all that is available; not that you have to build it like he's doing.

Please don't get me wrong....I do NOT object to items to help build a better model. I object to their being presented as NECESSITIES to build a model.

It's your choice, but the bottom line is Eduard and the others keep doing this because WE'VE proven we'll pay through the nose for all of the pretty baubles they make for already pretty nice kits!

Respond to this message   
John in Texas
(Login ov10bronco)
HyperScale Forums

I am with you Gil

September 13 2017, 9:58 AM 

Not only that but so many builders rely on aftermarket instead of skills we used to have. Then again some just build for the enjoyment out of box. I have so much aftermarket stuff when I used my referee money to buy. Same to some degree with model railroads. That is another thing my money is tied up in.

Respond to this message   
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

I HAVE made that choice a couple times. Kitchen sink builds. Bought ....

September 14 2017, 1:14 AM 

tons of (prob not everything available at the time) AM for the particular kit. PE and resin. A 35th German half track and a 350th IJN ship. Many of the AM parts of course were repeats of one another and I chose what I thought was the best rep of the 1:1 part.

It was fun, ended up w/ a TON of leftovers, and will prob not be repeated. Tho I am eyeing all the AM produced (lighting kits too) for Fine Molds 72nd Millennium Falcon!

Respond to this message   
Malcolm McKay
(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

No advantage over brass in that application - one born every minute applies, n/t

September 12 2017, 10:01 PM 

Respond to this message   
Pat Donahue
(Login pat9d)
HyperScale Forums

Not neccessarly, there are some extremely fine detail

September 12 2017, 10:20 PM 

items cast in that would be very hard to replicate even with P/E. Notice in the review the landing gear uplock clamps for example. That would be pretty hard to reproduce in 1/48 using conventional scratch building techniques not to mention attaching them to the gear legs. The oleo links have the indentations like the real items, again hard to reproduce with files and regular P/E is too one dimensional to be as effective, and lastly all the brake line kinks are already there as they go up the gear leg. All this is cast in one piece so there is a additional strength factor with little or no clean up of seams. Yes they are expensive but I think if one is not building a fleet of Bf 109s they may be worth the money, or even a splurge for that special build as Brett alluded to.
I think these items will find a home with those who would like more detail fidelity much like the P/E instrument panels have done.

This message has been edited by pat9d from IP address 99.91.67.88 on Sep 12, 2017 10:25 PM

Respond to this message   
JohnHealy
(Login JohnHealy)
HyperScale Forums

I just ordered an Eduard weekend "F" from SB for $14.99........

September 12 2017, 10:27 PM 

Time to build some 109s for the first time since '92. I am quite sure brass struts are not necessary. Only kits I've ever bought metal gear for are the 1/48 Monogram F-105 and Airfix Canberra.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login modelling_mushi)
HyperScale Forums

Sorry, but in business there is only one motivation ...

September 13 2017, 4:27 AM 

... and that is profit, unless you want to go out of business in a hurry.

Even firms that want to "better the hobby" by producing good after market bits - profit still rules.

And here, even if brass is a better medium to use than white metal or photo-etch, at the core will be profit - cheaper to manufacture, shift more units, corner the market, whatever.

Ciao

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

109's can sit in a display case for years and strong brass legs are needed

September 13 2017, 8:40 AM 

I think there is some value to brass legs. They do not break like plastic. If the 109 is to be displayed for years, chances are it will be moved for cleaning at some point and the brass legs insure some longevity.

This message has been edited by 38Chip from IP address 174.193.147.220 on Sep 13, 2017 8:41 AM

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Say what? I got 109s from 25 years ago, moved from NY to MA. Legs good.

September 13 2017, 8:45 AM 

Yes they can break, but if you are that careless, then likely something else will snap off.

And if you do knock them off, "be a modeler", as they say, and use a drill, wire and glue.

Of course, if you have money to burn...., I'll save that for a good single malt.

This message has been edited by samodeldad from IP address 108.20.209.251 on Sep 13, 2017 8:45 AM

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Operative word is "you"

September 13 2017, 9:03 AM 

So sitting in a display case in a hobby shop and Game Boy Billy drops the kit whilst dusting in 2024. Oops. Drop tank, gone. Legs fly across room. So who is going to super glue it back together? Kit goes in trash. Brass legs would have minimized damage.

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Then the cost of the legs will go to a newer more accurate 109

September 13 2017, 9:10 AM 

When 109 legs run close to $30....

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

September 13 2017, 10:35 AM 

A stupid drunk party-goer at my condo in 1991 tossed one of my super detailed kits across the study room floor with the words "I thought it would fly!" as she left the premeses. All gear busted and drop tanks gone. I was so mad I put the kit in a shoebox and didn't fix it. Brass legs would have avoided that calamity!

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

September 13 2017, 10:56 AM 

You can't be serious?

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Yes.

September 13 2017, 2:06 PM 

Whack job.

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Yes.

September 13 2017, 11:56 PM 

Not what I was referring to.

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

I'm convinced P.T. Barnum knew a whole bunch of model builders. nt.

September 13 2017, 10:20 AM 

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

If not for plastic kits

September 13 2017, 10:39 AM 

I would have spent my youth stealing hubcaps and staring at tv reruns.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters