<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best intakes for 1/48 Monogram F-4

October 12 2017 at 9:27 PM
Dave Wassell   (Login ViperDoc)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 174.53.48.173

I have several of the old Monogram F-4s that I want to build. It still in my mind has probably the best Phantom outline of any of the kits. I have several plans to to some in a flying mode and want to spend more time on paint and finish than any super detail. What I do need is a way to take care of the intakes which I feel is the weakest part of the kit. Does anybody have some advice on the best AM intakes I can use?

Regards,
Dave

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Drew Tarter
(Login Navairfan)
HyperScale Forums

RE: Phantom Intakes

October 13 2017, 12:09 AM 

Hi, Dave -

To my knowledge, no one made aftermarket intakes specifically for the Monogram Phantom kits. It would take a lot of plastic surgery, but you might try using the True Details resin Phantom intakes, made for the Hasegawa F-4's, and modifying them to fit the Monogram kit. The True Details intakes have scribed panel lines, though, as opposed to the raised lines on the Monogram kit.

Good luck,

Drew

Respond to this message   
Terence
(Login twong322)
HyperScale Forums

The True Details intakes will not

October 13 2017, 8:38 AM 

fit the Monogram kit. I tried it years ago. You have to cut further back into the fuselage as the True Details intakes are longer than the Monogram ones. The True Details intake at the rear are shaped differently from the Monogram ones as well and do not line up or blend into the fuselage. I think if I remember correctly, the True Details intakes at the rear are smaller than the Monogram fuselage so you would need a lot of work to blend the intakes into the fuselage. Also the bottom part of the True Details intakes are molded to fit the Hasegawa wings. The Monogram wings and or the True Details intakes will need major surgery to fit.

True Details also makes different intakes for the different Hasegawa F-4 molds. The original Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J with the raised panel lines is different from the later one with the recessed panel lines. Also the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4E/F/G intakes are different from the old F-4J with raised panel lines and later F-4J with the recessed panel lines. So there are three different types of Hasegawa F-4 intakes. When looking for intakes for your Hasegawa 1/48 F-4's you need to make sure you buy the specific ones for the specific kit.

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

Intake covers

October 13 2017, 9:38 AM 

I'm still surprised we don't see intake covers/plugs included in kits as a matter of course. It sure would save a lot of expense and hassle for the "discerning modeler."
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

Respond to this message   
SouthViper
(Login southviper)
HyperScale Forums

F-4 Intakes

October 13 2017, 11:37 AM 

The True Detais F-4 intakes in fact do not have the full depth trunks, they are some kind of "optical effect" inside the intakes with proportionally small engine faces that give You the illusion they are at the end of long trunks. With goood painting effects You can achieve very good convincing results.

You can use the Aires, Eduard, AMS or Two Mikes cover F-4 intakes to avoid some hard working.

Seamless Suckers, now long OOP iten, had full intake trunks.

Today DMold has several F-4 Phantom IIs intake trunks for different versions of the F-4.

DMold haes several F-4 intakes, Take a look at :
http://dmold-modelworks.com/contents/en-us/d2.html

Xmold look to has some intakes too at
http://xmold-modeling.com/products-information/

Other good chance You have is to obtain from a fellow modeler His unused Academy F-4s plastic intakes trunks parts (or the ZM !) .

I think if You really wish to represent full intake trunks details You can easily adapt any kind of these intakes to the Monogram-Revell F-4 with some work and care to obtain very fine results.

SouthViper

Respond to this message   
Scott Shank
(Login IAGeezer)
HyperScale Forums

Another option

October 13 2017, 1:59 PM 

I found this solution a while back, and made it work for 1/48th. I've used it on Monogram, ESCI and Testors Phantoms.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/158198-monogram-172-f-4-intakes/

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Scott

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters