<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do you have to thin paints?

October 12 2017 at 10:50 PM
Rob  (Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 173.50.17.58

I'm getting away with Tamiya paints and no thinning. Testors is more difficult, can't find a good ratio.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jimbo
(Login jimmbbo)
HyperScale Forums

For spraying or brushing? nt

October 12 2017, 11:08 PM 

After decades of study, it has become obvious that Murphy was an optimist...

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Do you have to thin paints?

October 12 2017, 11:13 PM 

You don't need to thin paint but depending on what you're happy with in most cases if you want to do a good job of applying it you do whether you're airbrushing or hand brushing. It all depends on the viscosity of the paint to begin with, some may spray or brush fine out of the bottle, other not so much.

Respond to this message   

Dave Sherrill
(Login davesherrill)
HyperScale Forums

Yes you do

October 13 2017, 1:25 AM 

You might be "getting away" without thinning Tamiya paints, but they will airbrush so much better if you thin them. Plus you'll make your paint last longer. You should read Gregg Cooper's third article on Hyperscale about painting the Tamiya J1N1 Gekko if you want to learn more about the properties of thinned Tamiya acrylics. There's a lot of nuance to be gained in the look and finish of your model if you thin Tamiya acrylics properly. My feeling is, if you just shoot straight color through your airbrush, you're just going to get straight color.

There are three parts to the Cooper Gekko build article and I think they have been the most helpful tutorials for me as a modeler of WWII aircraft. Don't shy away from thinning paints. Practice on a scrap model until you find the right ratios that suit what you want your model to look like.

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/gekkogc_3.htm

Respond to this message   

Tony Bell
(Login threedingers)
HyperScale Forums

Why would you not thin?

October 13 2017, 8:25 AM 

Thinning allows greater control, gives a smoother finish, preserves detail better and uses less paint.

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

I've only ever airbrushed Testors and Floquil so I can't speak for

October 13 2017, 8:57 AM 

Tamiya or others. That being said, I can tell you that I've never relied on ratios to thin my Testors/Model Master paints. I have no clue how many drops of thinner I use to thin "X" number of drops of paint. What I can tell you, however, is that I just go by sight. The first thing I aim for is a roughly half and half mixture (ok...I guess I do use ratios) of paint to thinner. I add the thinner to my airbrush cup first, then pour in the paint. I'll stir it well with a scrap piece of sprue and then touch the sprue to the inner side of the airbrush cup. If the thinned paint runs down the side with the consistency of 2% milk (or skim milk for you health nuts out there), then that tells me it's thinned properly and I'm good to go. Of course, I test it on a scrap model or a paper towel first just to be sure before I commit to the real thing.

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums

Get too much puddling when I thin Tamiya and Testors

October 13 2017, 10:23 AM 

I have to move fast to avoid puddling.

Respond to this message   
James Caldwell
(Login PRILLER13)
HyperScale Forums

More info needed

October 13 2017, 10:40 AM 

Rob, what type of airbrush are you using? It sounds like you have the needle opened up too much or are holding the airbrush too close to cause puddling. Your air pressure may be too low.

Tamiya acrylics thin wonderfully with 91% alcohol and spray very easily when mixed at about a 1 part paint to 1 part alcohol. You can use Tamiya thinner, but I find it sprays just as well with alcohol (do not recommend using denatured alcohol, it dries too fast). With a dual action airbrush, you can get hairlines all the way up to a pattern of 1/2" or so. Make sure the airbrush is CLEAN!

Enamels thin best with the manufacturer's thinner or you can use mineral spirits, Naptha or Xylene to thin paints for airbrushing fine lines. Lacquer thinner works for general spraying but will cause a lot of tip dry when you try to paint fine lines and will drive you crazy. Enamels generally need to be thinned about 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner (mineral spirits, Naptha or Xylene) or 1 part paint to 1 part lacquer thinner for general spraying. These are general thinning ratios to get you started, but your mileage may vary. As others have suggested, practice on a paint mule before painting a good model. Practice makes perfect. You get better at painting by painting. Don't be afraid. Just practice, practice, practice.

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums

Badger Patriot

October 13 2017, 11:37 AM 

Yeah, I hold it too close because I don't get results farther away. I thin about 1/4 to 1/3 thinner for Testors. I can't spray at full pressure, I get puddling. I've watched videos, etc.

This message has been edited by bamboo1 from IP address 173.50.17.75 on Oct 13, 2017 11:40 AM

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

The puddling thing is kinda odd. When I hear that, the first couple of things

October 13 2017, 11:43 AM 

I think about are either the airbrush is being held too close to the model or the airbrush is being moved too slowly. Either way, too much paint is reaching the model all at once. Better to apply light coats and build them up than to firehose everything all in one shot. I'm not saying YOU'RE doing that, but that's what happens to me when I hold the AB too close or move it too slowly. At that point, it's not so much the paint, but rather the technique.

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums

I hold it too close

October 13 2017, 7:49 PM 

Maybe 2"-3".

Respond to this message   

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

Sounds like your PSI is way too high.

October 13 2017, 11:50 AM 

For any modeling paints, Testors, Floquil, Tamiya, Vallejo, 15-20 psi indicated static on the regulator should hit within the ball park.

Otherwise another possibility is a damaged fluid nozzle. If it's cracked you could be blowing a lot of excess paint. If it's the .5mm configuration it could be a significant flow of paint.

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums

I don't have a variable compressor

October 13 2017, 1:21 PM 

I have a Badger compressor. Where can I get a variable compressor? I've looked all around for one.

This message has been edited by bamboo1 from IP address 173.50.17.75 on Oct 13, 2017 1:23 PM

Respond to this message   

Rian J
(Login Rhinosd)
HyperScale Forums

What you need is a pressure regulator for your compressor. . .

October 13 2017, 2:46 PM 

You can buy these separately without having to buy a new compressor. It goes between your compressor and the airbrush to regulate air flow and most have a water trap as an added feature. Here is one that is relatively inexpensive:

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Airbrush-Compressor-Regulator-Water-Trap/dp/B004KNAHF6/ref=sr_1_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1507920118&sr=1-2&keywords=airbrush+pressure+regulator

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login bamboo1)
HyperScale Forums

I have one of these, never figured out how to adjust it.

October 13 2017, 7:48 PM 

Thanks.

This message has been edited by bamboo1 from IP address 173.50.21.121 on Oct 13, 2017 7:59 PM

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low-# Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

Simple. Turn the top knob to adjust the pressure going to the airbrush.

October 14 2017, 1:33 PM 

The pressure should be set while the airbrush trigger is depressed. The best pressure will vary based on type of paint and how much it is thinned. Some experimentation will probably be necessary. I spray thinned enamels and typically use a pressure of 10-12 psi.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

If ignorance is bliss, there's a lot of happy people out there!

Respond to this message   
Shane Weier
(Login sdweier)
HyperScale Forums

Okay, but...

October 14 2017, 5:57 AM 

Better to take off and deep six the gauge and replace it with one that reads up to a maximum of about 40psi, otherwise it's near impossible to set the pressure at a repeatable level from session to session. A new gauge cost me about A$15 and was well worth the money

Shane

Respond to this message   

Mike Dougherty
(Login Gluehuffer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Get too much puddling when I thin Tamiya and Testors

October 13 2017, 12:38 PM 

You're applying too much paint, you may not get full coverage in one coat.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters