<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dornier Do 17Z-7 codes and markings

December 6 2017 at 9:00 PM
Steve Palmer  (Login lspalmer54)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 99.157.50.100

Just got the new Classic/Crecy Do 215 book, which is nice.

Comparing what has been written so far about Do 17Z-7s and was wondering if anybody knows what the basis is for several of the markings for this aircraft that are available on Owl Decals 1/72 sheets.

Thanks

This message has been edited by lspalmer54 from IP address 99.157.50.100 on Dec 6, 2017 9:00 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
G.R.Morrison
(Login G.R.Morrison)
HyperScale Forums

Olrog's book and Owl decals

December 7 2017, 12:31 PM 

Olrog has done us a service with his unique book.

I assume you're looking at his chart on p.185, which shows only one Z-7 equipped with the 'Spanner' IR device, other sources state three "Z-7" were produced, but records for only two have emerged (his text states six were proposed).

WNr.2817 was damaged by a nightfighter Hurricane near Lincoln, but Ofw. Schmidt managed to fly it home on one engine; its damage was minor, assessed at 8% (these percentages can sometimes be deceptive, as they were based on the cost of fixing/replacing; some shattered aircraft are recorded at "90%" rather than 100% -- perhaps they salvaged the tailwheel and sundry?)
Besides the photo of this one (R4+HK) on p. 186, there's another view (a copy of which can be found in Luftwaffe im Focus No.10, p.12), likely taken while parked in the same revetment, which reveals the uppersurfaces were NOT black, but had retained their 70/71 camo.

One of the choices provided on the Owl sheet, 2N+GH, is curious, as the loss report for this machine (WNr.2834, fatal crash on a practice flight) was given as "2N+CH" -- but "lapsus calami happens" and that includes in the Luftwaffe Quartermaster's documents. I know of know of photo-documentation for this one.

Another of their choices, "R4+EB" gives the Werknummer as 2817, but two years later, and with the wing bands of 'Operation Anton' (the seizure of Vichy France in Nov. 1942). I know of know of photo-documentation for this one, although there are a number of KG 2 Do 217s wearing these recognition markings.

Hope this helps a bit, GRM

Respond to this message   
Steve Palmer
(Login lspalmer54)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you!

December 7 2017, 12:54 PM 

Yes,

I have the book. Wish he would do something on the Do 217 of this caliber, or of the Do 17. He mentions that his coverage of the 17s is "brief." Makes you wonder what he could have done had he been covering strictly 17s.

It is odd to me that 2817 crashed then was operated 2 years later? Who knows?

Would be nice to know what the other decal sheets are based upon. In the absence of any info, I am not inclined to build them. I realize that is a matter of choice...

Respond to this message   
Burkhard
(Login Operationmerkur)
HyperScale Forums

No references from Owl

December 7 2017, 1:30 PM 

I bought several decals and conversion sets for Luftwaffe aircraft during the last year. The main disadvantage in my opinion is, that Owl does not mention any references. They offer decals for a Do 17 Z-7, R4+HK, 2817 https://eshop.owl-czech.eu/detail/1:72-do-17-z-7-part-ii) and tell us, that this plane was painted overall RLM 22 black. But if "Luftwaffe im Focus", No. 10, page 12, is right, the aircraft shown there is R4+HK and you can see that there is no black colour on top behind the canopy. So I think, Owl isn't always right with their instructions.

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Here is R4+EB

December 7 2017, 2:22 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
G.R.Morrison
(Login G.R.Morrison)
HyperScale Forums

Thank YOU, again. n/t

December 7 2017, 5:00 PM 

Respond to this message   
Burkhard
(Login Operationmerkur)
HyperScale Forums

Once again Do 17 Z nightfighters

December 10 2017, 7:41 AM 

I found this on the internet: Dornier Do-17 Z-7 Kauz, Airfix/OWL by Jes Touvdal
The Luftwaffe blog presents another fantastic build from Jes Touvdal, the rather rare Do 17 Z-7 Kauz. Jes writes;

".. I have completed this new kit from Airfix a little while ago, I think that Airfix has done a very good job on this kit and it fits very well. I chose to convert it to a Z-7 nightfighter using the OWL conversion set. I spent a lot of time researching the camouflage scheme. Firstly I contacted Owl asking for reference photo documentation confirming that the scheme in the decals offering was correct, but received a rather weak answer from them about the photo that they couldn't publish. My own research indicated that their conclusion that the finish was an overall black scheme is questionable, based on the photo published in Luftwaffe im Focus 10, from Start Verlag, and the fact that only 3 aircraft were converted to Z-7, comparing the spinners and the placement of NJG shield I also backup the finding that Axel Urbanke claims that this aircraft is R4+HK. So I have gone for a 70/71/65 scheme that has been overpainted in black on the undersurfaces and sides. A thing that was not in the conversion kit from OWL was the armoured glass on the front of the cockpit I had to scratch something here as well as the FuG under the fuselage..." Jes adds that only eight Do 17s were converted to this configuration, although only two WNr. are known, 2817 and 2834.
More of Jes Touvdal's Luftwaffe models on this blog here

also on this blog - building the new-tool Airfix 72nd scale Dornier Do 17
http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/building-airfix-new-tool-dornier-do-17.html

Respond to this message   
Steve Palmer
(Login lspalmer54)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you for posting this Burkhard. N/T

December 10 2017, 6:05 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters