<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Philadelphia Area Hobby Shops?

January 12 2018 at 12:54 PM
Dennis S.  (Login Dennis7423)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 172.56.29.244

All-

Any recommendations for Philadelphia area hobby shops that have a decent plastic model selection? My internet searches are yielding "art" shops and aren't being too helpful. Figured I'd ask the experts! Thanks folks.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Harry Dente
(Login hdente)
HyperScale Forums

Not in Philly but a short trip into NJ:

January 12 2018, 1:08 PM 

about 12-15 miles from downtown Philly is AAA Hobbies in Magnolia. Its Steven's International's retail store. Pretty good stock of kits, paints, etc.-no bargains to be had as a general rule. Not my favorite place TBH, but its ok. Probably the biggest shop close to Philly.

Respond to this message   
Hobbyist979
(Login hobbyist979)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Not in Philly but a short trip into NJ:

January 12 2018, 2:29 PM 

They do sell at full retail, but they also give 10% discounts to IPMS members and veterans. Plus you can get an additional 10% rebate by returning receipts of over $100. They also put in a bargain room in the back recently. So at the surface it's expensive, but once you factor everything else in, it's pretty competitive pricing.

Respond to this message   

Brad
(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

Not in Philly, but nearby in PA and Jersey

January 12 2018, 5:19 PM 

Main Line Hobbies is located in the Plymouth Meeting Mall, about 10 miles north of Philly. The mall is on Germantown Pike, just off the PA Turnpike at the Mid-County Interchange, where the Northeast Extension (I-476) meets the East-West route (I-276). Website is www.mainlinehobbies.com.

Triple-A Hobbies was already mentioned. That's just a short drive across the river to Magnolia, NJ.

Millennium Hobbies/the Gundam Kitchen is also just across the river, in Blackwood, NJ. It's a great little shop, but as the name suggests, it focuses on Gundams, anime, and sci-fi as far as kits go. The owner is a good guy, and he hosts wargames, and build meet-ups. He has a decent selection of supplies and tools, too.

I belong to the Delaware Valley Scale Modelers, based in Philly, and in our newsletter, we list those three shops, as well as these:

BNB Hobby & Train Depot
10 West Camden Ave., Moorestown, NJ 08057
Ph: 856-235-9055

New Concept III
676 Stokes Road, Medford, NJ 08055
Ph: 609-953-0404

D & K Hobbies
116 Barclay Shopping Center, (Route 70 West), Cherry Hill, NJ 08034.
Ph: (856) 795-9005
www.dkhobbys.com

Hobbymasters, Inc.
62 White Street, Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
Ph: 732-842-6020
www.hobbymasters.com

Z & Z Hobbies, Inc.
101 Sloan Avenue, Mercerville, New Jersey 08619
Ph: (609) 586-2282
www.hobbiesnow.com

Despite the results we get in a web search, there really aren't any hobby shops around down there anymore, at least, not those catering to scale modelers. Allied Hobbies has closed, too, if I am not mistaken.

Hope that helps! And anyway, while you're here, you should visit the museums. Besides the historical sites and national landmarks, the new Museum of the American Revolution is worth a visit when you're in town.

Best regards,
Brad
The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   

Matt Collins
(Login MattP38)
HyperScale Forums

Two more, Dennis

January 12 2018, 10:04 PM 

Dennis,

Located in Philadelphia heading south on Market St.

Capelli Stamps & Hobbies
311 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Located on Rt. 3 (West Chester Pike) in Broomall, PA

Nicholas Smith Trains and Toys
2343 West Chester Pike
Broomall, PA 19008
http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/

Enjoy your trip,

M.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login BMuckster)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Philadelphia Area Hobby Shops?

January 13 2018, 8:18 AM 

I'd call AAA before going there, they have odd hours. Also they are a storefront for a distibutor, so most of their stock is in the warehouse, and they wont get anything from there unless the warehouse is open. To be honest it could be a great hobby store but the staff are arrogant, ignorant and rude. The manager is the worst. I live 20 minutes away and I refuse to shop there. Just a caveat from personal experience.
Just my $US.02

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login BMuckster)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Philadelphia Area Hobby Shops?

January 13 2018, 8:19 AM 

I'd call AAA before going there, they have odd hours. Also they are a storefront for a distibutor, so most of their stock is in the warehouse, and they wont get anything from there unless the warehouse is open. To be honest it could be a great hobby store but the staff are arrogant, ignorant and rude. The manager is the worst. I live 20 minutes away and I refuse to shop there. Just a caveat from personal experience.
Just my $US.02

Respond to this message   

Brad
(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

Triple-A's hours are published

January 15 2018, 12:42 PM 

Here is their website, by the way:

http://www.aaahobbiesandcrafts.com/

Their posted hours are 10AM to 6PM, Mondays through Saturdays, and 11AM to 5PM Sundays. I've never run into any problem with their hours.

As to your experience with their staff, I can't speak to that, except to say that I've never had anything but polite service from the people who were working when I've gone it.
The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters