<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question as to the color of this French A-24B?

January 12 2018 at 11:49 PM

DJ  (Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 99.36.190.148

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/75/0b/61/750b6170403ff92b6532edd3d8865203.jpg

Can anyone identify the color of this A-24B in North Africa? It appears to be either dark green or glossy sea blue. My guess is overall dark green, since it is with the Armee de l'air. Caption says it was taken in Marrakech.

Thanks,

This message has been edited by 38Chip from IP address 99.36.190.148 on Jan 13, 2018 1:16 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

Are you certain it isn’t an SBD-5/6?

January 13 2018, 10:40 AM 

Knowing land-based SBDs were fitted with pnuematic tailwheels, it might be an SBD in Glossy Sea Blue. I imagine any A-24s that were around that long had their paint stripped.

As it seems most lend-lease French aircraft of that period served in the schemes in which they were acquired, it’s a challenge to figure out how an A-24 might end up dark green. Would be cool, though. Others probably know more.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

This one is definitely green and it's an A-24B in Algeria 1952

January 13 2018, 1:03 PM 

Respond to this message   
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

Just reacquainted myself with Kinzey’s SBD book...

January 13 2018, 5:29 PM 

... to see if we can figure this out: Kinzey reports the A-24s didn’t have the arrestor hook, nor its mount, installed.

Land-based SBD units often removed the hook, but the mount remained in place. So I looked again at the image in question. Sure enough, no hook, but the mount appears to be in place, suggesting this one may be a GSB SBD.

Kinzey’s text confirms the Alamy image is an A-24B, based on tail number. Wouldn’t be surprised if the French received a mixed bag of A-24s and SBDs.

This message has been edited by ferdico from IP address 76.173.10.11 on Jan 13, 2018 5:30 PM

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks again

January 13 2018, 6:31 PM 

Agreed and understood -thanks !!

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

My photos indicate the A-24 had the hook mount.

January 14 2018, 9:46 AM 

57-37

17684152071_fd9f5da706_o
"Another day older and deeper in debt"
Merle Travis.

Respond to this message   
CMT.Arturo Navarro
(Login CMT.Arturo.Navarro)
HyperScale Forums

I'd bet it's a SBD5...

January 13 2018, 11:27 AM 

..no carb air intake...Maybe a denavalized machine...????
I agree with Ferdico about gloss sea blue colour..IIRC, the Italeri reboxing of the AccMin SBD5, comes with a few french decal options, and call for sea blue scheme...
Cheers

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you Arturo

January 13 2018, 1:13 PM 

I will review further. It is defiantly with an Armee d'l'air ship

Respond to this message   
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

The intake corresponds with the engine change...

January 13 2018, 4:20 PM 

...after the SBD-4, and so both the SBD-5/6 and the A-24B lack the intake. In fact, the SBD and A-24 are virtually identical. SBDs typically had the hard rubber tailwheels for carrier use, but land-based units swapped them out, adding to our confusion.

The few A-24Bs left at the end of WW ll were stripped to NMF, just like most other USAAF/USAF aircraft. Were they provided to the French, I expect that’s how they would have been delivered.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks! Agreed! Ny

January 13 2018, 7:10 PM 

Nt

Respond to this message   

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

The answer may be in identifying this emblem. Might be post war SBD-5

January 14 2018, 12:01 PM 

750b6170403ff92b6532edd3d8865203-1

The SBD-5s the French navy received were all painted in the 4Tone scheme. No GSBs. Also the Naval aircraft did not carry rudder stripes, rather they used a fin flash, similar to RAF style. They were delivered to Groupe Aerien Naval no.2 (3FB & 4FB)in Morocco and then off to Cognac.

However, the Aerien Naval received a few additional -5s after the war, whether these were in GSB and had rudder stripes, I do not know.

The FFGI GCB I/18 received A-24s, including those that were the Army version of the -5. These were in Olive Drab / Neutral Gray. Theuy retained the US serial numbert across the fimn and rudder and they had rudder stripes. Some (many?) carried the 5 black and white fuselage and wing stripes carried by the FFI aircraft.

So, we have here what appears to be a single colored aircraft, with rudder stripes, and the inability to see if a serial number is across the fin and rudder, no FFI markings.

So, once the badge can be identified, it can be seen if this is a SBD of the Navy or A-24 of the Army. Then again, it may be refurbished, as the A-24s went on to training units. But what color.

Merle Travis.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Dad!

January 14 2018, 3:48 PM 

I am researching it on French websites. Thanks again.

Respond to this message   

steven eisenman
(Login samodeldad)
HyperScale Forums

Further info after pursuing info

January 14 2018, 4:29 PM 

Aircraft is an A-24 of Escadrille B3 - EAPN - BE 707- Ecole d'Application du Personnel Navigant.

It most likely was involved in an accident, refurbished and painted in a single dark green. If you look at it he right aeleron it looks like it came from another aircraft and still has a NG underside.
Merle Travis.

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Great info!

January 14 2018, 7:31 PM 

Hey Steve--thanks again! I am buying the beer at Nats. Where did you find this?? Great info!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters