<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bad news for Baltimore area, Bel Air Hobby Works is closing

February 12 2018 at 5:16 PM

Craig Bumer  (Login boom175)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 68.134.73.156

Just confirmed that the Bel Air, MD Hobby Works is closing. Despite (from what I've been told) meeting and exceeding its sales goals the owner has decided to go to a online presence. What this means for the Laurel MD shop I don't know. All I know is now there are NO shops at all in the Balt. MD area. I would like to thank Wes and his crew up there for providing great service.
Looks like the end of this month..
Craig Baumer
IPMS Baltimore
Former A-10C Crew Chief MD ANG
Retired

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

Are they all closing??? There's four locations

February 12 2018, 7:51 PM 

Looks like the Fairfax property is closing as well if not closed already. I've seen Jesse and the other guys many times at hobby trade shows.

Respond to this message   
Khumar
(Login SpitfireNut22)
HyperScale Forums

Fairfax closed already, whats going with all these closings? They made their numbers...

February 12 2018, 9:05 PM 

Respond to this message   
Mark Guttag
(Login IPLawyer)
HyperScale Forums

Rockville and Laurel are staying open

February 13 2018, 1:07 AM 

From talking with the former manager of the Fairfax Hobby Works, Bruce, the Rockville and Laurel stores are staying open.

Because the Fairfax store was walking distance from me and because Bruce and other employee are part of our local modelling club, having the Fairfax Hobby Works close really sucks, even though I do have other hobby stores, i.e., Whistle Stop Hobbies and Eagle & Empire within 30 minutes from me, both of which I have visited and bought models from in recent weeks.

Respond to this message   

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

double post,,,this sucks

February 12 2018, 7:51 PM 

This message has been edited by 86Sabreboy1 from IP address 96.91.186.3 on Feb 12, 2018 7:52 PM

Respond to this message   

Bryant
(Login 86Sabreboy1)
HyperScale Forums

triple post,,,this sucks

February 12 2018, 7:52 PM 

This message has been edited by 86Sabreboy1 from IP address 96.91.186.3 on Feb 12, 2018 7:53 PM

Respond to this message   
William Shuey
(Login Williamshuey)
HyperScale Forums

For the first time....

February 12 2018, 10:02 PM 

in my 70 years of modeling I will not have a hobby shop within easy driving distance. I wonder how bad the withdrawal symptoms will be?? sad.gif

Bill Shuey
in Baltimore

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Welcome welcome to the future

February 12 2018, 11:18 PM 

It’s not just hobbies; it’s all of retail. Who can afford the rent? But everything is changing and quickly. In the very near future credit cards as we know them are gone. Autos? Mostly gone. My hunch is that retail will be very limited and mostly show rooms for large ticket items or convenience stores. Hobbyists will find good products but not in brick and mortars—get ready for the $299 Trumpeter B-17 in 1/48z

Respond to this message   
Mark Guttag
(Login IPLawyer)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Welcome welcome to the future

February 13 2018, 1:24 AM 

I agree with you about the decline of retail in general and of brick and mortar hobby stores specifically.

Because my other major hobby besides modelling is board wargames, I've grown used to purchasing most of the products for that hobby by mail order or online for over 30 years now, so I'm not as fearful of a future I might only be able to buy model kits and supplies from online stores.

With the closing of Hobby Works-Fairfax last month, I miss having a local hobby store I could walk to, but the reality was that my purchases there were mainly items I bought to help support my local hobby store where I didn't take too large a hit compared to the price I would pay online. I will try to do something similar with my remaining local hobby stores, but the present and future of buying most products for modelling is clearly online.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Mike R
(Login JMRiederman)
HyperScale Forums

4th post this sucks....Craig thanks for the word, not that I can get...

February 12 2018, 10:03 PM 

out to Wes and the shop much from Carroll Co but whenever I was in Bel Air I stopped in....to shop, look, and say hello. Sad news indeed:( Sorry to hear this Wes, thanks for all you did us Baltimore guys. Mike

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login Nav1Bill)
HyperScale Forums

Welcome to the world of increasing store rents!

February 13 2018, 11:32 AM 

As Bruce said about the Fairfax shop, the owners want much more rent for the space. Given they were near the corner of a "L"-shaped shopping center, which includes Best Buy, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and other popular stores, it was a no-brainer to force Hobby Works out.

This is probably the biggest killer of hobby shops in the greater DC area. Owners are always looking for the big bucks and chain stores can afford the overhead costs. No matter where you are the stores are all the same names you see at home, selling the same stuff.

Just look at Old Town Alexandria: There used to be many individual, unique shops. Now it is mostly chain names, similar to what you find in any shopping areas.

Respond to this message   

Craig Baumer
(Login boom175)
HyperScale Forums

Trouble is, they didn't raise the rent, Mgmt just wants out of retail. N/T

February 14 2018, 7:49 AM 

Craig Baumer
IPMS Baltimore
Former A-10C Crew Chief MD ANG
Retired

Respond to this message   
Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
(Login FloydWerner)
HyperScale Forums

Wes has done great stuff and he is in talks

February 13 2018, 12:08 PM 

with a D&D place up the road that may allow him to stock kits and stuff. Fingers crossed. I'll be there Saturday or Sunday to pick up my models from the display case.
Floyd

Respond to this message   

Jerry
(Login eticket3)
HyperScale Forums

Sorry to see Bel AIr Hobby Works close

February 13 2018, 1:03 PM 

I get up to Bel Air often to see my granddaughters and always stopped by Hobby Works. Wes and his staff were very helpful and always had an interesting story about modeling to go with the visit. Great inventory of models and supplies. They will be missed. One of the best Hobby Shops in the whole Washington DC metro area.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters