<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

So, if I didn't use the Tamiya P-51 filleted tail

February 13 2018 at 7:23 PM
Gpagentry in Utah  (Login Gpagentry)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 162.246.101.165

I can use it on the new Revell kit (1/32)?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott Smith
(Login ScottsGT)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, according to someone on LSP that tried it.

February 13 2018, 7:36 PM 

Apparently it's an exact match. And there's a guy on eBay selling a resin tail for $10.00. I'm just going to wait on the Revell Kit.

Respond to this message   
John S
(Login johnsnz)
HyperScale Forums

Yep but....

February 13 2018, 7:57 PM 

The kit has a lot of other bits specific to early P-51D’s :
IP, Console detail, Canopy Style, Gunsight and others...

So depending on if you care for accuracy or not that might be a ‘deal breaker’ on your decision.

Adding a tail filet to the kit I think gives you a ‘filleted’ D-5...

Respond to this message   
Ferdico
(Login ferdico)
HyperScale Forums

Not too far from a D-10 or D-15, too—

February 13 2018, 8:45 PM 

— it’s the D-20 onwards that many of those changes appear.

Bear in mind though that the earlier sloped filet was typically used on the early D’s, so a touch of reshaping might be in order.

This message has been edited by ferdico from IP address 76.173.10.11 on Feb 13, 2018 9:01 PM

Respond to this message   

Kevin Martin
(Login hofnerbassman)
HyperScale Forums

I'm adding a correct engine belly panel

February 13 2018, 8:46 PM 

and flaps to my "late" resin tail set. Correct interiors are already available anywhere. No need to reinvent that wheel. My replacement tail sells for $11. with $3 shipping USA.

This message has been edited by hofnerbassman from IP address 73.44.157.140 on Feb 13, 2018 8:48 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginger's Dad
(Login gingersdad)
HyperScale Forums

What's different about the lower cowl on later "D" models? nt

February 14 2018, 8:19 AM 

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

I was wondering the same thing. Same with the flaps. It sounds like

February 14 2018, 9:01 AM 

there's something incorrect with the kit flaps but I have never heard what was wrong with them.

Respond to this message   

Kevin Martin
(Login hofnerbassman)
HyperScale Forums

The flaps in the kit

February 14 2018, 9:30 AM 

suffer from bad molding. The 2 parts as engineered are overly thick. When the molten plastic is injected into the die, the parts shrink as they cool. It's an ages old problem that shouldn't be happening today. It would have been parts best to have engineered in upper and lower halves. The deformity is pretty bad and noticeable. It's certainly not a deal breaker for this kit. It's just a small annoyance that needs to be dealt with by the modeler. As it's not an issue the modeler can contact Revell for a replacement. They will get the same deformed part back. I offer a useable replacement for those modelers who may lack the desire, or abilities to fix it.

This message has been edited by hofnerbassman from IP address 73.44.157.140 on Feb 14, 2018 9:32 AM

Respond to this message   
Eric Holmberg
(Login echolmberg)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you Kevin. I hope you could tell that I wasn't doubting the need

February 14 2018, 11:38 AM 

for replacements or of your products. I was simply curious because those were issues I hadn't heard of until I saw your replacements. Again, I appreciate the answer. Thank you.

Respond to this message   

Kevin Martin
(Login hofnerbassman)
HyperScale Forums

Your welcome!

February 14 2018, 11:48 AM 

I never got that impression from your post. Frankly I don't know why the defective flaps have never come up in reviews? Don't know how I could be the only one with the problem. But I am selling them starting today and have orders in for them.

Respond to this message   

Kevin Martin
(Login hofnerbassman)
HyperScale Forums

There are

February 14 2018, 9:24 AM 

three very prominent service doors in that panel that distinguishes it from the early D. While I hate to have to produce another part, it has to be done. There are changes in the production late model D that are in the interior. If it really is a huge deal, you can find those interior sets on the market already to represent the Late D interior. I am at this point just handling the most important exterior changes. between early and late.

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login Nav1Bill)
HyperScale Forums

No need to go the resin route if you are willing to wait.

February 13 2018, 11:13 PM 

Revell will release a filleted tail later block D, probably late this year.
See Craig Hewitt's post earlier in Plane Talking for a photo of a sprue test shot.

Respond to this message   

Kevin Martin
(Login hofnerbassman)
HyperScale Forums

That's all fine and well

February 15 2018, 8:54 AM 

but what about the thousands of guys who already have the early version without many interesting decal schemes to use? Models that will be gathering dust sitting in their stashes. I aint going poor on people wanting to convert and build that early version. I call it "repurposing" and "Redirecting assets"

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login Nav1Bill)
HyperScale Forums

Not knocking your product, but I doubt...

February 15 2018, 10:03 PM 

there at "thousands" of Revell kits out there with modelers just waiting to convert them to a later version.

Typical modeling syndrome, buy the new kit and put it in the stash to build in five years. Some modelers will want to build a conversion to put on the contest table this year, and you should have some sales of your sets. Most will build a -5 from the kit and be ready for the Revell release of the later blocks.

I long ago stopped chasing the latest kit release and paying full retail and open the box to smell the plastic. What I will pay for is the parts to convert a kit to something that has very little chance of being molded in styrene. Odd conversions are great for resin. Mods to a kit where the next release obviates the resin conversion is not my way to go.

Good luck on your sales...until the next Revell release.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters