<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I Just Painted Some Ground Support Equipment...

February 13 2018 at 11:53 PM
Bruce  (Login Neptune48)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 68.2.85.229

...with COLOURCOATS ARUS02 Marine Corps Green (FS24052) enamel. I thinned it 1:1 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner — I've thinned enamels with lacquer thinners for years with no problems.

I used an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS gravity feed double-action airbrush, with a pre-set handle and a crown tip, at 12 PSI. Flow was excellent, with no clogs or sputters. The paint went on smoothly and both covered and leveled well.

COLOURCOATS paints are manufactured by Sovereign Hobbies in the UK. I purchased the paint online from H&B Hobbies in Massachusetts, which raises the question: if Sovereign Hobbies can, why can't Hannat's market Xtracolor to the U.S.?

Maybe it doesn't matter now if COLOURCOATS carries the colors I need. I had been a big fan of Xtracolor and was very disappointed when they became unavailable in the States. Those U.S. retailers who carry it (Roll Models and Sprue Brothers at least) are apparently flushing inventory and have no plans to re-stock. As Brent from Roll Models said in a post below, there are "shipping issues." It looks like Hannants is missing a big opportunity — that is, of course, if the U.S. domestic market is at all significant.

The models are drying now, and I plan to shoot the remaining unpainted portions tomorrow night. The equipment set includes the Hasegawa generator, the hydraulic test unit kitbashed into a freelance air conditioner, and two scratch-built AG330 SR-71 "Buick" start carts (the Chevy powered version), all 1:48 scale.

I'll try to make some pictures and post them after the second session has dried, if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bruce

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Neil Howard
(Login NeilHoward)
HyperScale Forums

Colourcoats enamels - lacquer thinners

February 14 2018, 2:24 AM 

Colourcoats were my favouite paint here in the UK until Gunze lacquers and MRP became available. I used to stock up from WEM at Telford each year. One of the reasons I loved them ( and still do) is that they are fast drying. I use standard lacquer thinners from a car parts shop and sprayed in thin coats the paint is dry enough to handle within a couple of hours. That's was not the case with Xtracolour! Only reason I changed ( and I still have load left) is that I am time poor and the Lacquers dry hard enough to mask in minutes.

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

I don't Understand the Disparity When it Comes to "Shipping Issues"

February 14 2018, 8:18 AM 

OK, it's enamel...we get it, well Gunze Aequeous is water based acrylic??? Yet it's "banned" ??? And the Gunze "Mr. Color" line is lacquer based so it's A OK??

Your Gov't at work, we're here to help...it's for the children.

This message has been edited by AWF8251 from IP address 72.9.14.123 on Feb 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low-# Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

Gunze Aqueous (Mr. Hobby) isn't "banned."

February 14 2018, 9:25 AM 

The company, known as GSI Creos since November 2001, made the decision years ago to stop distributing it in the US due to poor sales.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

If ignorance is bliss, there's a lot of blissful people out there!

This message has been edited by ZergOvermind from IP address 76.185.11.91 on Feb 14, 2018 9:32 AM

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

Nah...that's not what I heard.

February 14 2018, 11:40 AM 

Some labeling issue that didn't jive with some HAZMAT laws.

Respond to this message   

Scott Copeland
(Login SCopeland)
HyperScale Forums

I also heard Gunze Sangyo Aqueos colors were...

February 14 2018, 1:09 PM 

.. were dropped from the US market due to poor sales. That was the one "Acrylic" paint I liked. That said, I've ordered lacquer paints in lots for 40 bottles and quarts of "Mr Leveling thinner" from Japan, and it was NOT shipped in HAZMAT packaging, or markings. I know what I'm talking about, as I was a certified HAZMAT shipper about 12 year ago. The standards are international, and do not vary by country as per IATA. You can ship up to 6 cans of paint to personal address (non business)exempt from normal HAZMAT processes IF in box marked ORM-D. The purchases from Japan did NOT have that.

This message has been edited by SCopeland from IP address 66.150.218.172 on Feb 14, 2018 3:24 PM

Respond to this message   

Whitey
(Login AWF8251)
HyperScale Forums

When I order Gunze from Taiwan

February 14 2018, 2:21 PM 

It typically has "Toys" or "Modeling Supplies" written on the Customs label. Are they trying to skirt the issue or avoid filling out more forms than if they labeled it "Model Paint"?

Sales may have been an issue at one time or another, but I'm willing to bet Sprue Brothers wouldn't be able to keep it in stock if they started carrying the line.

This message has been edited by AWF8251 from IP address 72.9.14.123 on Feb 14, 2018 2:22 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

You heard wrong.

February 14 2018, 4:25 PM 

I contacted the company myself. If you search this forum for "GSI Creos" you'll find a lot of discussion about Gunze Sangyo from years past.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

Respond to this message   
MarkusN
(Login MarkusN)
HyperScale Forums

Gunze Aqueous isn't really aqueous.

February 14 2018, 1:02 PM 

It's mostly alcohol based. Which makes it compatible with water, but not really based on water.
Gunze thinner is quite "hot" actually.

Respond to this message   

(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

True. Like many "acrylics" it's technically an alcohol-based enamel.

February 14 2018, 4:28 PM 

Miscible with H2O.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login Neptune48)
HyperScale Forums

Here Is the Hannants Disclaimer...

February 14 2018, 4:41 PM 

...posted with each Xtracolor item listing:

Either this kit is too big to be despatched by Royal Mail and can only be despatched by the more expensive Parcelforce parcel rate. Or this is a non-acrylic paint product and is now classed as ‘dangerous goods’ by our Royal Mail and they will not accept it. Our Parcelforce will accept it and can deliver it to the UK and to any EU countries that they transport to by surface. Parcelforce rates are more expensive as they only handle heavy parcels not small packets. All the available postage rates are shown. Please login and add it to your cart. If you cannot add it to your cart that means we are unable to post it to your address.

From this, and from Brent's (at Roll Models) remarks, it appears the only way to get Hannants to ship Xtracolor to the US is to buy a container full of paints and have it put on a great big slow boat.

But still, how is Sovereign Hobbies getting COLOURCOATS to stateside retailers while Hannants can't?

BTW, there appears to be no interest in photos of the ground equipment, so I won't be charging up the Nikon batteries.

I would have preferred the Xtracolor gloss Marine Corps Green to the COLOCOATS semi-gloss, as I favor shooting gloss finishes, applying decals, then dullcoating the model. I'd rather not add a layer of Future among them.

Bruce

Respond to this message   
Randy Lutz
(Login RandyLutz)
HyperScale Forums

Because Colourcoats wants to sell abroad.

February 14 2018, 7:35 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

Or perhaps they are shipping smaller-than-container lots but …

February 14 2018, 10:40 PM 

… shipments still large enough to meet Parcelforce's requirements.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters