<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Heroes of Tuskeegee

March 12 2018 at 1:54 PM
Mike Dobrzelecki  (Login PolMikeD)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address

While some may believe that I am only interested in the Polish Air Force, my passion for history casts a much wider net than that.

I have had the privilege to meet many famous aces, pilots and aircrew over the years, mostly American, but also from other countries. Back in 1997, the NJIPMS model club was invited to participate in an exhibit at the Liberty Science Center at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the United States Air Force (USAF) as a separate branch of the U.S. Armed Forces on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947. Prior to that, it was known as the US Army Air Force (USAAF), subject to US Army oversight and command.

The bonus was that we would be participating in the exhibit with the famed Tuskeegee Airmen of World War II. This was neither my first encounter with the Heroes of Tuskeegee, nor the last. I had attended lectures by at least two other Tuskeegee aces prior to that exhibit, and a one or two after the exhibit. For those who know nothing of the Tuskeegee Airmen, they were organized as the first Negro USAAF unit during WWII. Needless to say, with the racist attitude prevalent during those times, the Tuskeegee veterans had to fight both the entrenched prejudiced system in the USAAF and America, as a whole, as much as they had to fight the Nazi Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht and SS. Drawn from the creme de la creme of Negro University scholars and "colored" pre-war pilots, they, and their ground crews, acquitted themselves well during the war. During the course of the day we had an opportunity to talk with the Tuskeegee vets at length about their experiences, and they appreciated the respect and honor we showed them - which is how it should be. I got them to autograph the book that they were selling - a hard cover copy of "Tuskeegee's Heroes", written and illustrated by a Tuskeegee vet. It has pride of place on my noted aviation book shelf.

NJIPMS members who participated include: Mike Dobrzelecki, Bob LaPadura, Lee Lamarre, Ernest Connor, Ron Dobrzelecki

I apologize for the poor quality - these are scans of 400 asa 35mm prints taken in poor lighting conditions.

[urlhttps://imgur.com/nVWWzAM][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/BurJ0yw][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/oX0zIkm][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/VTRrtdi][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/ag2QfyG][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/BBFvU2d][img][linked image][/img][/url]

Respond to this message   
(Login CraigQ)
HyperScale Forums

That book available?

March 12 2018, 3:04 PM 

Passion makes no compensation for ignorance - Samuel Chadwick

I'm not saying you're stupid, just that you have bad luck with thinking.

This message has been edited by CraigQ from IP address on Mar 12, 2018 3:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Rich Hicks
(Login Pete352)
HyperScale Forums

March 12 2018, 6:31 PM 

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low-# Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

Heroes, all of them. Every one.

March 12 2018, 3:42 PM 

Not only did they fight racism in Europe, they also had to fight it at home and in the USAAF.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

If ignorance is bliss, there's a lot of blissful people out there!

Respond to this message   
Malcolm McKay
(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

Wow I'll bet those airman were excited to meet the Dobrzelecki brothers. ;-) n/t

March 12 2018, 7:07 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tom Glowacki
(Login TomGlowacki)
HyperScale Forums

Tuskegee Airmen

March 12 2018, 10:55 PM 

They always have a booth at the EAA AirVenture, which sadly, seems to be staffed by fewer of them each year. As to the Dobrzelecki brothers, I got Gabreski's autograph in the same hanger one year. He just standing there outside his booth, all by himself. Doubt that there will be any Kosciuszko Squadron survivors there this year as part of the RAF celebration. . .

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters