<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

I didn't help Monogram/Revell much....

April 14 2018 at 5:01 PM
John Krukowski  (Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 184.58.244.222

It makes up at least 80% of my stash but I bought very little of it brand-new. The second-hand market doesn't send a dime their way, and probably gives the seller more funds to "upgrade" HIS stash to something OTHER than Monogram.

Once they moved production to China I was done buying anything new from them. Nothing against China or the Chinese people, more of a screw-you to the greedy Americans who sent the work overseas.

Recently the thought of them going bye-bye forever made me rethink things a little so I bought four Chinese-made kits which still makes me feel a little dirty. Up til then the only China-made kits I bought were "used" so I figured any damage had already been done. Even at that I bought very few of those.

I was surprised to find a few new US-made kits, not sure if they were actually made here now or old stock...the Do-335 and Kingfisher which I bought. Also bought a Polish-made F-102 with Wisconsin ANG markings.

For anyone who's curious the four Chinese ones are a T-6, SBD and two 109's. Maybe I should've been reading the new boxes sooner, my little chance to reward good behavior and punish bad, at least in my own mind.

I'm sort of an isolationist that way but it bothers me less to buy a new Tamiya kit than a Chinese Monogram. Tamiya's an Asian outfit and always was.

Where a company is based never mattered to me, it's where the physical work is done that matters to me. Asian companies employing Asian people I understand, American companies employing Asian people is just greed. It bothers me to reward greed.

(Edit: On that note, for the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan. Greed is greed anywhere.)

I wish the new Revell owners well, and will be looking forward to see how this all develops.

John

This message has been edited by stilltubeglue from IP address 184.58.244.222 on Apr 14, 2018 6:15 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
George Campbell
(Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums

Hi, John -- I have to agree with you in this !! It really pains me that Gerber and Budwie

April 14 2018, 5:12 PM 

Budweiser are no longer American owned !! Etc ...

And I am really quite concerned about our financial and manufacturing situation with China.

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Not sure about Gerber but...

April 14 2018, 5:19 PM 

Budweiser is still made here. That bothers me less than an American company outsourcing work overseas. Jobs, y'know? Manufacturing jobs, that is.

John

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Hasegawa-vs-Tamiya...

April 14 2018, 5:41 PM 

For the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan.

John

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

^ Added to Original. ^

April 14 2018, 6:13 PM 

Greed is greed anywhere.

Respond to this message   
Russ Taylor
(Login VMA131Marine)
HyperScale Forums

The original Budweiser is Czech anyway

April 14 2018, 8:53 PM 

It's actually good compared to the American stuff. When I buy beer, I try to support the local microbrewerys. There's quite a few in New England.

Respond to this message   
Harry Dente
(Login hdente)
HyperScale Forums

It bothers ME that Budweiser is horrible beer. Sierra Nevada for me, please.

April 14 2018, 9:15 PM 

Seriously, its a global economy. I drink Tecate at a Mexican restaurant and Singha in a Thai restaurant. I like a lot of English ale too.
Wine, California but also some French...when I can afford it.
Yokohama high performance tires are made in the US. Many BFG ones are not. And,in the 1970s and 80s, people were concerned with the balance of trade with Japan. There were books written about the possibility of a new war with Japan over it...the only constant is change. Even the speed of light changes depending on the media its passing through, and there's evidence it varies over time.

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low # Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

Well, I sure did back in the 1950s and '60s and into the '70s.

April 14 2018, 5:29 PM 

The first plastic kit I ever built was Revell's then new Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket. Monogram's Grumman Gulfhawk, Cessna 180, Piper Tri-pacer, and TWA Constellation were favorites. And once Revell and Monogram started turning out kits in 1/72 scale, I bought at least one of each. Heck, I even had not one but TWO Monogram Flapjacks (both gifts).
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

If ignorance is bliss, there's a lot of blissful people out there!

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Wood kits before that?

April 14 2018, 5:46 PM 

I'm guessing because you said first plastic kit. happy.gif

John

Respond to this message   

Michael McMurtrey, Proud IPMS Low-# Thumper
(Login ZergOvermind)
HyperScale Forums

I "helped" Dad built some Comet and Strombecker wood kits …

April 14 2018, 9:01 PM 

… mainly by watching him build them at the kitchen table. Revell's Skyrocket was the first kit of any kind I attempted to build on my own.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

If ignorance is bliss, there's a lot of blissful people out there!

Respond to this message   

bob in Maine
(Login gingerbob)
HyperScale Forums

And yet we're all humans stuck on the same little ball...

April 14 2018, 5:32 PM 

though we seem to be trying to forget that fact lately.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Amen...

April 14 2018, 5:44 PM 

I've been trying to think more globally, but greed is greed anywhere. I guess that's what I'm against.

John

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login Neptune48)
HyperScale Forums

Could you please identify the line...

April 14 2018, 6:25 PM 

...that separates greed from a reasonable profit on investment in a competitive market?

Thanks,
Bruce

This message has been edited by Neptune48 from IP address 68.2.85.229 on Apr 14, 2018 6:25 PM

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Yeah that's a tough one...

April 14 2018, 6:30 PM 

People love to blame Wal-Mart for shutting down their favorite drug store that's been there forever. Wal-Mart didn't shut it down, we did.

John

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login 38Chip)
HyperScale Forums

Amen to that

April 14 2018, 8:52 PM 

God bless Walmart. Need a printer at 3 am or diapers at 5:54 am? How about a thermomator or No. 2 pencils? How about a Christmas present at 2 am on Christmas Eve? Walmart. I could manage without it but it makes life so much easier.

Respond to this message   

Mike Maben
(Login mmaben1)
HyperScale Forums

Sure ...

April 14 2018, 6:31 PM 

...when the quest for ever increasing shareholder value
overides the quest for ever increasing product quality.

I've seen it happen.

I just like airplanes.

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Their real product is stock...

April 14 2018, 6:42 PM 

Proven every time someone outsources "to compete" and the prices don't change.

John

Respond to this message   
Charlie D.
(Login cdunton)
HyperScale Forums

Focus on short term profits, not long term success

April 15 2018, 12:45 AM 

Quarterly Profits....When firms focus on the short term, those firms steer profits to shareholders immediately instead of spending money to improve productivity. They spend less on research and development for the next great products and services, less on capital spending to improve manufacturing efficiency. It’s fair to say that a short-term perspective has the potential to undermine the traditional growth engines of the American economy. It wasn't always that way...

Respond to this message   
Slartibartfast
(Login slartibartfast0)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Focus on short term profits, not long term success

April 15 2018, 12:02 PM 

Firms MUST focus on quarterly profits because we, the shareholders, demand profit at all cost. Blame us, not the firms. Of course, this doesn't apply to privately-held companies.
Bruce in Houston

Respond to this message   
Charlie D.
(Login cdunton)
HyperScale Forums

Not entirely true

April 15 2018, 1:07 PM 

Today’s shareholders are not like yesterday’s. Individual investors have largely been supplanted by institutional investors, such as hedge funds and mutual funds, who typically hold on to assets for a shorter period than their predecessors. In 1950, 92 percent of stocks were held directly by investors. By 2006, this figure had dropped to less than a third. In 1940, the average equity was held for seven years. Today it’s less than one year. You also have activist investors who push for higher and higher quarterly profits, again, more concerned with short term profit than long term success.

This message has been edited by cdunton from IP address 73.223.225.66 on Apr 15, 2018 2:43 PM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters