<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Question for Jeremy Moore about your great P-51D

April 16 2018 at 10:33 AM

Jay  (Login jwhangen)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 64.251.59.82

Hi Jeremy,
I really love the job you did on the P-51D on today's Whats New. Question about the green color on the nose - what brand/type/color paint is that? It's the perfect shade of green for those markings and I'd like to pick up a bottle.

Thank you!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jeremy Moore
(Login b737flyer)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the kind words...

April 16 2018, 10:53 AM 

Honestly I wrestled with this color for quite a while - I couldn’t find anything out of the bottle that was close. I ended up using a mix of Tamiya X-28 Park Green and XF-5 Flat Green at about 3:1.

Respond to this message   
Lee Griffin
(Login leegee_77)
HyperScale Forums

Nicely done, Jeremy. n/t

April 16 2018, 12:47 PM 

n/t

Respond to this message   

Brad
(Login MrNostalgia)
HyperScale Forums

Is that the one you shared with us at LVSM the other week?

April 16 2018, 10:15 PM 

Beautifully done!
The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Respond to this message   
Jeremy Moore
(Login b737flyer)
HyperScale Forums

Yes it is!

April 19 2018, 12:04 AM 

Thanks for the kind words Brad

Respond to this message   

Jay
(Login jwhangen)
HyperScale Forums

to clarify

April 17 2018, 9:23 AM 

I haven't mixed before - the 3 part is Park Green and the 1 part is Flat Green?

Respond to this message   
Jeremy Moore
(Login b737flyer)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, that's correct...

April 19 2018, 12:02 AM 

3 parts Park Green to 1 part Flat Green.

Respond to this message   
Jeremy Moore
(Login b737flyer)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, that's correct...

Respond to this message   
Jeremy Moore
(Login b737flyer)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, that's correct...

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Airfix P-51D looks great...

April 17 2018, 1:23 PM 

I really like the looks of that kit. Nothing glaringly unique about it anywhere.

With various Mustang kits I try to choose paint schemes that don't accentuate differences between kits, or sometimes even to make good use of its shall we say personality traits, but the Airfix seems to be benignly accommodating to any paint scheme, much like the Tamiya kit that way.

When I decide a certain Mustang doesn't look like any certain kit I can use a Tamiya or Airfix for those. happy.gif

Nice work on yours Jeremy and I too like the green you mixed.

John

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Jay, by "those markings" do you mean...

April 17 2018, 1:36 PM 

Daddy's Girl in particular? I'm asking because the 359th FG's greens were all over the map.

Ideally it's nice to have a color photo of the aircraft you're doing but if not chances are no one else does either ha ha ha...

Excuse me if you already knew all this.

John

Respond to this message   

Jay
(Login jwhangen)
HyperScale Forums

actually, my scheme of choice is The Enchantress

April 17 2018, 1:55 PM 

but I think the color greens are very similar to Daddy's Girl - thought it was really striking how he nailed that weird/off-green color, so wanted to know how he got it because I'll do the same for The Enchantress

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Recently I read somewhere that...

April 17 2018, 3:03 PM 

The colors they used for those green and yellow tails were the two shades of zinc chromate primers, according to the article, it's what they had on hand. This was, again according to the article, information from someone who was there.

Can't remember where I saw that and have no idea if it's true or not but you may wanna check into it.

Good luck with your build Jay.

John

Respond to this message   

Jay
(Login jwhangen)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you for the info! I'll definitely

April 17 2018, 3:22 PM 

do more research when the time comes (I'm currently in the middle of another build). There IS a model master paint that matches the FS # on the Kagero decal sheet instructions, but to my eye it's much to garish:

https://www.modelcars.com/model-kit/model-master-ii-enamel-gloss-willow-green-fs14187.jpg

This message has been edited by jwhangen from IP address 64.251.59.82 on Apr 17, 2018 3:22 PM

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Oh, and the blue tails IIRC...

April 17 2018, 3:41 PM 

..were insignia blue, again what they had on hand, and yet again this is according to the one article I stumbled across.

I'm not much into Pacific Mustangs myself but now I'm curious too. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Sometimes I'm not sure what I enjoy more, building or research lol...though in the end we have to decide for ourselves what looks right. Being correct and looking right aren't always the same thing.

John

Respond to this message   
John Krukowski
(Login stilltubeglue)
HyperScale Forums

Now I remember! Here...

April 17 2018, 4:11 PM 

I know "it's a restoration, somebody's big model, blah blah blah..." AND it's TC lol but there seems to be some credibility to this, definitely worth consideration:

http://imodeler.com/2013/10/spam-can-in-her-new-incarnation-at-chino-today/

(To add, I've nothing against TC, I love reading anything he writes and I always learn something new from him. His kit reviews are worth reading before starting on yours.)

John

This message has been edited by stilltubeglue from IP address 184.58.244.222 on Apr 17, 2018 4:28 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters